Spiders,cockroaches,etc

shak

Hi

We got the keys to our new apartment,and we were welcomed by a couple of cockroaches!!!!im petrified of cockroaches and spiders.what do I do to make sure we never get any?I'v heard alot about the huntman spider,and NEVER want to see them indoors even though their good to get rid the awful cockroaches...and which are the poisonous spiders to look out for?I have a little girl who isnt scared of these spiders n stuff,she thinks their toys and runs after them,so im abit worried for her aswell.help!

If you are that scared of spiders and cockroaches, maybe this isn't the place for you.

Huntsmen spiders are really good at clearing the smaller ones away, but all spiders eat smaller insects and clear up debris.

The poisonous ones are redbacks , but white tailed spiders can also leave a nasty bite.

Try the Supermarkets for Cockroach bombs and traps, follow the intructions and use both in all the rooms.

Spray around the outside areas with Surface spray, or you can get the apartment professionally treated

Shak, roaches, the Huntsman, and the redback are small potatoes compared to the mother of all arachnids, the Sydney Funnel Web spider. We were in St. Ives, north of Sydney and never saw one, thank God, but we made it a point to shake our shoes out in the morning just in case, having heard stories. We had pommie friends living in Terrigal on the Central Coast who had quite a few Funnel Web stories, fortunately none deadly......keep an eye out, mate!!......

Cockroaches are loathsome but harmless. The big ones live outside, but if you have large numbers of the tiny ones, you need to get a pest controller in as they live indoors. I tried the bombs and sprays but they are useless for big infestations. There is a guy who runs a pest control business. I can't think of his name but I'll find out if you want. I don't know if he covers all areas of Sydney either.

I've had a Huntsman spider in my unit, but never any of the bad ones. Which part of the city or state are you living?

Thanks guys...and maryrose 02,yes please if you could,that would be great,im looking myself for pest controllers too,thanks,thrs lots of little ones my hubby killed yesterday..and its the hills district im living

I live in the Hills and get more big ones than little brown ones.Saying that I don't see many and they are usually dead. Only had one professional spray in 43 years of living in the Hills. I spray around the perimeter of rooms and into the gratings in the bathrooms and laundry floors with mortein surface spray. If you are renting the agent should fix it for you.

Hi,

I find its the Mozzies that really piss me off :-) Make sure your nets are hole free !

Cockroaches - Keep all surfaces clean of crumbs and open packages and put food stuffs away where possible. I put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in my dish cloth and mop bucket. They don't like it at all.

Spray the external to internal door frames before spring and once during summer with a quality commercial insecticide. Available at any supermarket

If your living in a rental unit your real estate agent will be able to organise their preferred pest control company. If your in a Strata they will usually spray at least 4 times per year as part of their up keep services to the shared and external areas ask the strata manager.

You'll be unlikely to see redbacks and funnel webs in an appartment but it can happen so educate your selves quickly what the nasties look like and how to react. All the Major Emergency departments accross Sydney have antivenoms for most eventualities.

Good luck with it.

Those kind of bugs are part of life here. You can have your house sprayed which will keep them at bay. I was bordering on phobic of cockroaches when I arrived, but they don't bother me much now.

The only spiders that can give you a nasty bite are the Redback and white tip - they are both easy to spot.

The funnel web is deadly but the chances of you ever encountering one are very slim!

If you're really desperate you can get one of those timer spray thingos that let out insecticide every so often- or you can use an insect bomb. I used one of those to get rid of milliipedes and the biggest cockroach I have ever seen dropped from the roof right at my feet! We have cathedral ceilings so it was quite invisible before. It had to be 3 inches long at least- beast had probably lived up there for years. Still shudder thinking of it.

Thanks guys...and maryrose 02,yes please if you could,that would be great,im looking myself for pest controllers too,thanks,thrs lots of little ones my hubby killed yesterday..and its the hills district im living

I've just been looking through my inefficient filing system and can't find my receipt for pest control. I'll have a look for the guys car in the garage as he parks there and has a card pocket on the side of his van.

If you're really desperate you can get one of those timer spray thingos that let out insecticide every so often- or you can use an insect bomb. I used one of those to get rid of milliipedes and the biggest cockroach I have ever seen dropped from the roof right at my feet! We have cathedral ceilings so it was quite invisible before. It had to be 3 inches long at least- beast had probably lived up there for years. Still shudder thinking of it.

3 inch???ewwwwwwwww made me shudder at just the thought

Archived