Suffolk

thinker78

As we have been priced out of Essex, but would also like somewhere a bit less built up, we are wondering about suffolk- namely the towns of Hadleigh, Leiston, Aldeburgh or similar. Does anyone live here, is there anywhere to avoid or recommend? Are there any well kept secrets? thanks in advance.

Hi there, we lived in Suffolk up until July 2013 and its a lovely place to live. The nicest place ive lived, including here. Its still relatively unspoilt and not over subscribed like a lot of areas these days.

Our nearest town was Bury St Edmunds and I cant think of a nicer place in all the places ive visited.

Places in that area are only about an hour (just over) from the coast, surrounded by glories green countryside and still only 1.5 hrs max to london...couldnt ask for more, and with stansted airport only 1 hr away you really do have everything you need.

Dan

Hi there, we lived in Suffolk up until July 2013 and its a lovely place to live. The nicest place ive lived, including here. Its still relatively unspoilt and not over subscribed like a lot of areas these days.

Our nearest town was Bury St Edmunds and I cant think of a nicer place in all the places ive visited.

Places in that area are only about an hour (just over) from the coast, surrounded by glories green countryside and still only 1.5 hrs max to london...couldnt ask for more, and with stansted airport only 1 hr away you really do have everything you need.

Dan

thanks wattsy. Bury would be my first choice except it's a lot more pricey than the rest of the county. Any smaller towns with access to Bury which you could recommend? did you know Hadleigh at all?

Hi I live in Lowestoft and it is quiet and unassuming. It's also got a direct road or train or bus to Norwich city centre. A friend of mine lives in Leiston and she loves it. Another place I would recommend looking at is Gorleston.

Hi I live in Lowestoft and it is quiet and unassuming. It's also got a direct road or train or bus to Norwich city centre. A friend of mine lives in Leiston and she loves it. Another place I would recommend looking at is Gorleston.

thanks for that. lowestoft was the place of my childhood holidays so fond memories.....good to know you can also get to norwich. i haven't heard of gorleston so am onto it now.....thanks again.

I lived in Halesworth a long long time ago and visit when over there and still love the area. My grandparents lived at Chediston and its near Southwold and Beccles close to Lowestoft. Only problem with Suffolk is the water the pipes get blocked with calcium. When we were over in 2010 we found the pipes the same in cottage we rented lol

Love Suffolk - my parents had a little holiday cottage at Thorpeness at one time. Only downside would probably be the work opportunities but I guess that all depends on what you do. I've friends in Woodbridge and that seems a nice place but a bit more expensive I think. The water is hard pretty much all over East Anglia - now that we have a water softener our shower actually isn't too bad! You could do much worse!

thanks wattsy. Bury would be my first choice except it's a lot more pricey than the rest of the county. Any smaller towns with access to Bury which you could recommend? did you know Hadleigh at all?

Hi Thinker,

You get much more for your money in/near Stowmarket.

Direct trains to london, ipswich and norwich to name a few.

Nearer the coast than Bury St Edmunds and easy access to London by car via the A12.

We almost lived in Stowmarket but chose a village nearer Bury purely for the nursery for our child.

We have friends in Stowmarket and they are very happy.

Not clued up on Hadleigh....I know where it is and have been there occassionally but wouldnt be able to give an impression of it.

Suffolk/East Anglia in general is a great place!

The water in Essex has already been through 9 people they reckon, so i'm used to limescale on everything :)

i think stowmarket is a front runner, as are the coastal towns. aiming to do a reckie mid next year. very happy with our decision re the county. looks absolutely beautiful in places and it's still close enough to family and london, if and when the need arises. i'll keep you posted!

The water in Essex has already been through 9 people they reckon, so i'm used to limescale on everything :)

i think stowmarket is a front runner, as are the coastal towns. aiming to do a reckie mid next year. very happy with our decision re the county. looks absolutely beautiful in places and it's still close enough to family and london, if and when the need arises. i'll keep you posted!

The water we have today is the same water the dinosaur's were peeing in! yep that fresh!

OH used to work in Haverhill, and we lived in Wickhambrook, which is about half way between Haverhill and Bury St Edmunds. We loved the area, not so much Haverhill, but around Clare is nice, as is the area around Wickhambrook and Newmarket area. The villages around that area are lovely, but can be a bit pricey (or at least they were when we lived there - eight or so years ago now). We also lived in Ashdon (a bit north of Saffron Walden) and Ely, again lovely areas.

Guest Guest26110

I come from Essex but sadly lived 20 years in Ipswich Suffolk, I have to say Ipswich people are some of the most insular, cliquey and miserable people I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. All my Ipswich friends came from Essex and said the same thing. I wouldn't go back to Ipswich if it was the last place on earth. Other parts of Suffolk aren't so bad

Archived