Migrating in 2015 anyone?

jac2011

Hi everyone,

In the very early years when I was planning my trip I used to see regular threads around this time from people who were looking forward to the new year coming in as that was the year they were moving.

It's still not technically December but as the countdown to new year is underway I wanted to start a thread (finally after 6 years) for those of us that are migrating in 2015.

So come on everyone, who's moving when and where in 2015?

For us, we are a family of 5 and we are migrating to QLD in September 2015. We know we are flying into Brisbane but we haven't quite pinpointed where we will be living. As getting a job is a priority and preferably prior to migrating we are also considering other states too but would have a few weeks holiday in the Gold Coast before moving for a job! Flights aren't yet booked but our estimate based on our rental agreement terminating is 21st September 2015.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I leave the UK in January,my husband and daughters are already there, I decided to wait until the time my dogs can leave, My husband arrived in Townsville, We have friends there, he got himself a job within a couple of days, so looks like we will be living there for a while, All our furniture is now with my brother in Brisbane, he is going to store it until we have a house.

I would have been happy to have relocated to Townsville or Brisbane,as have visited both several times, We shipped with John Mason, container left the UK 11th October arrived in Brisbane 15th November, cleared customs and delivered to my brother on the 26th, no problems.

Hi!

looks like it's going to be late 2015 for us too! Was going to be 2016 but ahpra came through quicker than expected!

it will be me, (paeds nurse) hubby and 2 children. Hopefully moving to perth area or the surrounds! Haven't quite decided yet, all depending on where the work is really! Getting very scared now though!! :-)

Next July for us though we are planning a bit of travelling on arrival so don't expect to settle down until September in time for our daughter to start school in October. We will be settling in Redlandshire, south of Brisbane. Flights booked and we are making plans around the travel itinerary when we arrive. Trying to avoid the temptation of calculating the number of days as it makes it seem further away.

Me! We (myself and Aus partner) are heading to Sydney at end April/start May (when tenancy expires and OH's contract ends at work). We will probably use the long trip as an excuse to stop off at various places along the way.

No idea where we will live or what will happen jobs-wise, but that is going to be the big discussion point in January.

Wow, John Mason only took a month, that's impressive. John Mason are coming to pack and move my stuff in December, they told me around 12-14 weeks. Did you get insurance with them too? I'm moving in January to Melbourne.

Hi,

I leave the UK in January,my husband and daughters are already there, I decided to wait until the time my dogs can leave, My husband arrived in Townsville, We have friends there, he got himself a job within a couple of days, so looks like we will be living there for a while, All our furniture is now with my brother in Brisbane, he is going to store it until we have a house.

I would have been happy to have relocated to Townsville or Brisbane,as have visited both several times, We shipped with John Mason, container left the UK 11th October arrived in Brisbane 15th November, cleared customs and delivered to my brother on the 26th, no problems.

So lovely to see so many replies so quickly :-) it seems like 2015 is going to be a busy year!

Ceddy, Townsville looks lovely and somewhere we are considering too. I have a contact in QLD health recruitment team that has been lovely and when my AHPRA registration comes through in the new year will start to look for opportunities.

Bouncy, I know what you mean about scary, I start having doubts as its lovely in the uk this time of year and I think the fear is setting in whereas in the past 6 years Australia never seemed real...

Pastey, what an excellent time to travel... I would have loved to have travelled on such a good day!!!

Gbye, I would have loved to travel for a while first but apart from the few weeks it will take to get tax file numbers and my ahpra certified I am scared of not starting work asap. I am sure I will be regretting it when I am in full time work mode!

2015 for us all being well. We are just saving up the last few pennies, going to get Christmas out the way, redecorate in Jan and get the house on the market in Feb ready for the spring. Will then just be a matter of time :jiggy: DH is still trying to relocate with work but if that doesn't work out we will just make the jump which is scary, but he who dares wins and all that :laugh: I just want to get there now, it has been such a long time coming.

Gbye, I would have loved to travel for a while first but apart from the few weeks it will take to get tax file numbers and my ahpra certified I am scared of not starting work asap. I am sure I will be regretting it when I am in full time work mode!

Our position is so different to others. We are over 50 and are giving up well-paid but demanding jobs and escaping the rat-race because we are worn out by it all. We intend to live largely off our savings because we have always lived well within our means, until we can draw our pensions though hopefully find some paid work from time to time but happy for that to be short term, part-time, zero hours contract type work. Many on PIO rightly worry whether or not they will be better or worse off financially in the UK or Oz. We know we would accumulate more money staying in the UK and be richer pensioners one day but that has little importance to us now and really just want the adventure and live in a lovely place with a much warmer climate. We are just doing what we want to do at this stage of our lives and know we can at least get by. We have finished with the doubting and can't wait for the next chapter of our lives now.

We are moving to somewhere in Sydney in June or July. It's my wife, 3 kids (12, 9 and 6 at time of arrival) and our dog.

There is still loads to sort out though, jobs to look at, house to rent out here. It's pretty scary, but it happening. So best thing for us now is to get proactive about logistics and details.

My wife Nic has to finalise Ahra reg before end of August and we are hoping it will be good to find a rental during the Aussie 'winter', so we'd like to get all our stuff sorted by the middle of August and be in a decent rental place

We'll post again when we know more

Sounds excellent everyone!

I am so excited at the moment, I am counting down the days and for once I am actually enjoying my UK life and ensuring I push myself to do those lasts, like xmas lights switch on, Christmas fairs, walks in the park in the cold :-). I can finally appreciate the UK and I now see that the move to Australia isn't for a 'better' life, its for the quality. I understand the quality is what you make of it too, no matter where you live. However, for us the quality is in the adventure and showing my children that the world is full of opportunities.

This new years eve will truly be special.

Hi, Marynyho,

Our shipment 20ft container, arrived exactly as the schedule said, We tracked the ships, there was a change over at Singapore, all the way to Brisbane. Regards insurance, after reading many threads about it, we decided to risk it and not buy it, luckily we haven't had a problem, so risk payed off,

Do John Mason give you a tracking option? They never told me I could do that! Wow really no insurance, knowing my luck something will happen. I think mine is going in a shared container. Thanks for your response.

Hi, Marynyho,

Our shipment 20ft container, arrived exactly as the schedule said, We tracked the ships, there was a change over at Singapore, all the way to Brisbane. Regards insurance, after reading many threads about it, we decided to risk it and not buy it, luckily we haven't had a problem, so risk payed off,

Hi Marynyho,

Do John Mason give you a tracking option? They never told me I could do that! Wow really no insurance, knowing my luck something will happen. I think mine is going in a shared container. Thanks for your response.

Yes, we were able to track the ships, then the container into warehouse, was quite exciting, The insurance issue is a very personal thing, and each to their own. We did a lot of reading on the issue and most of it regarding claiming if something went wrong was negative, I obviously am not advising do this, as don't want to be getting told off on here, but luckily for me, all's ended well, good luck with your move and regards insurance, do a lot of research before deciding on a company and parting with your money, lots of interesting threads on here re insurance

Hello,

We are hoping to go to oz in 2015 too, we are waiting on our grant anytime now..hoping to get it before xmas!

All being well, planning on going to Oz in October 2015. We are looking at either Sunshine Coast or adelaide. I'm still trying to top up my degree as AHPRA have put a spanner in things...but it's not going to beat us! Lol

Waited 10 long years for this, when we went backpacking all that time ago! Fellin love with the country....

xx

So excited to see so many of us with all these new adventures ahead of us :-)

Today is the day I am hoping to book our flights, I am just waiting for my money from savings to hit my bank account :-). It will be such a relief to book a date. I think it is going to be the 16th September for us with a nice 21 hour stopover in Abu Dhabi. I am still dreading the paperwork side of the visa, though I have most things certified and the only remaining part is asking my (new) employer for a reference for ANMAC. They have been so good to me since I started and have really praised my work whilst I have been there, seen as there is only 8 nurses in total I feel like a complete let down but hopefully when they realise I will still be there till September they will be a little happier.

Feels so far away yet so close...

Archived