Could this be an idea.......?

adele244

My hubby purchased a tracking device (dead cheap off EBay I'm sure it was under £20) he got it because he was sending a VERY expensive piece if kit to one of his customers. It will be fully insured but the money doesn't come into it, it is rare. Anyhoo to cut along story short, what ever location this kit is on its travels, he can track where is, so if it ever gets "lost" in transit, he logs on a computer and it will tell him it precise location anywhere in the world.

This got me thinking........people have said that they were never actually informed where their container was at any time because the companies simply didn't know.

Could this be a bit of an answer? Chuck it in your container / move cube and even though you can't speed up the process, at least you would have an idea of where it is in the world.

If we get lucky enough to move, I would defo use this.

Surely a device emitting a trackable frequency would be regarded as "suspicious" on a container ship. Along with that, chances are it'll be packed amongst LOADS of other containers etc etc and be out of signal due to the amount of metal around everything.

In theory though - this works!

You can be any where in the world and it uses gps tracking, so you don't need to be within a certain range. They are totally legal and it is about the size of a matchbox. Apparently they are mainly used for cars if they get stolen and taken abroad.

It it is all very "go, go, gadget arms!!!!!" :laugh:

How long does the battery last?

we tracked our container as we asked the agent which ship it was on and you can track ships on line, I was a bit annoyed that it went from Perth right past us to Sydney, then back to Adelaide.

Sounds familiar! We are in Perth. Ours sailed past Freo then sailed to Sydney then came back and docked at Freo.

You can be any where in the world and it uses gps tracking, so you don't need to be within a certain range. They are totally legal and it is about the size of a matchbox. Apparently they are mainly used for cars if they get stolen and taken abroad.

It it is all very "go, go, gadget arms!!!!!" :laugh:

Although a device can receive GPS data virtually anywhere in the world, I'm afraid reception is reduced if you put the receiver inside a metal box. Even more so if your container is under other metal boxes. And even more so if the container above yours happens to be packed with metal boxes.

In order to get a realtime update of where the device is, it must be capable of transmitting too, with the same issues regarding interference from the surroundings. Where would it transmit to when it's halfway across the Pacific? Without a link I'm not sure, but I think the device you're referring to is a GPS logger, which just writes it's position periodically to a flash drive in the unit itself. Until you recover your container, you won't know where it's been.

As the above post says, you can track your stuff, you just need to ask the removal company for information. Im sure someone has posted the website link on here before now.

Cal x

There are two quite good sites at http://www.vesselfinder.com and http://www.marinetraffic.com , but be careful! it's easy to become obsessed and suddenly you've lost an hour looking at ships that mean nothing to you ;) (Does that make me a geek?)

Don't worry too much about ships going somewhere you wouldn't expect them to though, often a sailing to a particular desitnation wont go direct as they will make stops to pick up or deliver cargo. Your removal company should be able to give you an estimated transit time when you book and this will take into account stops the vessel already plans to take (and can usually select options for faster or slower sailings depending on how quickly you need your shipment and your budget (shipping lines charge more for more direct sailings)). Weather and other unplanned factors can also affect a route so if you are worried about something just contact your move coordinator who can find out more for you and make sure your ETA isn't affected.

Archived