The Current Rate of Unemployment and how hard it is to find a job in Australia?

Tom30

Not for you to be concerned.(our government certainly doesn't) Come out and see how it stacks up. You'll at the very least have a number of places to pitch your tent on .....or couch surf ..Yes there are the voluntary work for food and keep jobs mostly on farms I thought. What's it called? Wolfing or something similar. Met a few Germans in years past than done it. I'd go for paid employment though.

I think it's called WWOOFING or something lol. There's another one called helpx which im

a member of. You can basically stay anywhere - farms, backpacker hostels, boats, animal farms.. Anywhere! You do a few hours work and they are supposed to give you a bed and sometimes feed you. So that was my backup plan.

I suppose I'm just having doubts because I lost my job, I need to do my ucas form very soon and keep reading how hard it is to find work

Yeah it is called WOOFing. You have to do farm work if you want a 2nd year on your visa. But I'm not simply doing Australia and then going home. I didn't even have any doubts before coming to Australia, and I was surprised when I got interviews on my 2nd day here. So it's all worked out.

There are other websites similar to WOOFing too, that offer similar things, just without the farm work. Helpx is good too. But you're on a working holiday, everyone should be working IMO. It's hard depending on where in Australia you go, but not that hard. Don't let fear overtake you.

Stacey I had some young backpacker friends recently got jobs washing dishes no probs and got $22 an hour, food every day and a free beer at the end of it! You will be fine I am sure. The job market is not great but for short term employment I am sure you will be fine.

Stacey why can't you defer going to Uni?

Not many will allow me because healthcare degrees are so competitive. I've found 3 or 4 that have said they might consider it but some of them it wouldn't choose to go to if it wasn't for that fact. I need to finish my access course by May 2015 and I'm not sure if that's even possible so I'm probably worrying over nothing but I need to do my ucas form very soon so that's the main reason I'm getting stressed. Plus I've just lost my job after paying my WHV visa money so that's extra stress. I'm sure it'll all work out though

I just want it out the way if I can. My ideal scenario was that I finish and pass the course and have a place at uni waiting for me for when I come back after a year in Australia. I don't know if it'll turn out that way lol. My main problem is I'll be lucky to save the minimum immigration funds when loads of people have told me to bring a few thousand extra. That's never going to be possible.

I feel really bad for taking the OP off track! Oops

I think I will be fine, I will be doing the bar course and all that stuff I'm taking enough money to hopefully see me through 2-3 months with no job and Il be looking for one inside the 1st week for sure, if you don't mind me asking what kind of experience do you have Jonathon did you get a job you was already experienced in, as i feel I might have to try and get some kind of saturday job for a little bit in a cafe or pub just to get used to that sector and I can bend the truth on my CV when I get to Oz haha.

I would not bend the truth at all. You will get found out. I noticed that trial shifts seem to be the thing that some employers do here, so if you say you got experience then they're just gonna throw you right into it. Back home I worked for a supermarket doing fresh produce and was moving up the ladder there, and recently I was able to find a job doing the same thing at one of the big chains here in Australia. I'm glad I found a job doing what I like/have experience in, because I tried hospitality work when I first got here, and that's not for me at all. Especially when I'm traveling the world, not something I want to be doing. But hey it was a job, so I stuck with it until I found the job I desired.

One thing I have noticed here is that you get paid so well. I'm able to save money even after all my living expenses are paid for. Back home? That'd be impossible. But in Australia, depending how much you get paid and how you budget, you can easily save 1-2 thousand a month. Australia is expensive, but the wages are high and it's possible to live frugally here if you wish. Once you get a job, you're set.

I will add one thing...and that's that I never would have came to Australia on a WHV if I was worried about finding a job. For example, there are other countries that offers Working Holiday visas that have way worse economies than Australia's.

I would not bend the truth at all. You will get found out. I noticed that trial shifts seem to be the thing that some employers do here, so if you say you got experience then they're just gonna throw you right into it. Back home I worked for a supermarket doing fresh produce and was moving up the ladder there, and recently I was able to find a job doing the same thing at one of the big chains here in Australia. I'm glad I found a job doing what I like/have experience in, because I tried hospitality work when I first got here, and that's not for me at all. Especially when I'm traveling the world, not something I want to be doing. But hey it was a job, so I stuck with it until I found the job I desired.

One thing I have noticed here is that you get paid so well. I'm able to save money even after all my living expenses are paid for. Back home? That'd be impossible. But in Australia, depending how much you get paid and how you budget, you can easily save 1-2 thousand a month. Australia is expensive, but the wages are high and it's possible to live frugally here if you wish. Once you get a job, you're set.

I will add one thing...and that's that I never would have came to Australia on a WHV if I was worried about finding a job. For example, there are other countries that offers Working Holiday visas that have way worse economies than Australia's.

Save $one or two thousand a month?? Are you sure? Especially doing the jobs described. Average wage is only around the $60,000 mark ......

All depends on your monthly expenses, yeah. If someone is making $60,000 a year, it's not that hard to live on $30,000. And people like us, that being backpackers, aren't going to be spending a crap ton of money on things like a nice flat that long-term residents would. This varies by individual, but in Australia I could work only 20-25 hours a week and have enough to live on. But obviously I want to add to my savings.

You tell 'em JonathanS. (And TingTongman, if he's still around). It's takes a bit of willpower, but you can make your way on a meager budget. The plus side is that you can fund your way here right now. The even pluser side is that in years to come, when you get a career paying more, you'l be able to reward yourself with spending some cash on the things you don't buy now. You're set for life because you'll be able to live it wherever you want.

Guest The Pom Queen

As this is on the backpacker section of the forum I will state my opinion for backpackers/whv only. If you are willing to work in hospitality/tourism/fast food then you should have no problem at all getting a job especially in Sydney and Cairns. In fact a lot of the nurses at my hospital in Sydney were backpackers they worked their six months and had been offered sponsorship.

If as a backpacker you are wanting a top paid white collar worker job then forget it, it's just not going to happen unless you are very lucky.

In regards to farmwork everyone wants it for their 2nd WHV and most are so desperate they are working for nothing or food and lodgings. So don't come over expecting to find farm work and be earning top dollar, again you may end up at a great place but the chances are you won't. Also realise that the cattle stations in the outback have had their worse drought ever, they don't have the funds to pay top wages, they can't even afford to feed their cattle and are having to shoot them with some farmers turning the gun in themselves so please before slating these farmers spare a thought for what they are going through and maybe volunteer your help free of charge and make a difference in their life and get your second visa at the same time.

As this is on the backpacker section of the forum I will state my opinion for backpackers/whv only. If you are willing to work in hospitality/tourism/fast food then you should have no problem at all getting a job especially in Sydney and Cairns. In fact a lot of the nurses at my hospital in Sydney were backpackers they worked their six months and had been offered sponsorship.

If as a backpacker you are wanting a top paid white collar worker job then forget it, it's just not going to happen unless you are very lucky.

In regards to farmwork everyone wants it for their 2nd WHV and most are so desperate they are working for nothing or food and lodgings. So don't come over expecting to find farm work and be earning top dollar, again you may end up at a great place but the chances are you won't. Also realise that the cattle stations in the outback have had their worse drought ever, they don't have the funds to pay top wages, they can't even afford to feed their cattle and are having to shoot them with some farmers turning the gun in themselves so please before slating these farmers spare a thought for what they are going through and maybe volunteer your help free of charge and make a difference in their life and get your second visa at the same time.

Hospitality is what i'll be doing. So I should be okay? I don't think i'll be going for the second year but if I do then i'll probably helpx/wwoof

• 3 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I both finally have jobs after searching for a month. Initially we thought it would be easy getting work in a call centre since we went to an STA travel open night and they said that was what most back packers did and it was easily found. We found that to be the opposite. Despite the fact we both have over 3 years experience working in call centres and I personally have 7 years customer service experience not even the $20 per hour jobs were getting back to be. So after a few weeks of constant rejections we started applying for retail jobs which we both didn't really want to and were met with more rejections.

Luckily for us we eventually managed to secure jobs in office sales so it is do able but with a lot of luck i guess.