Can someone tell me in layman's terms about school years?

Reena1991

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can tell me in simple terms how the school system works in terms of ages and when it becomes compulsory.

So if someone asked this about the UK, I would say the following :

before 3 years old childcare and nursery is available but you have to pay

term after a child turns 3 years old, they are entitled to 15 hours a week for free in nursery but not compulsory- terms are September-December, January-March, April- July, so if your child turns 3 in December, there 15 hours would start from January onwards.

When a child turns 4 they start full time school in reception the next school year, eg child turns 4 in December, they would start full time schooling the next September.

Im im just trying to make it clear in my head when our children would be at school full time or when they would be able to go to nursery/kindy without us having to pay fees.

thanks in advance!

What state will you be living in? It makes a difference.

For example, here in WA a three year old child may attend kindy as long they turn four before June 31st in the year of entry. The same cut off date is used to determine year levels across all years.

Kindy is normally two mornings or two afternoons a week, sometimes two full days.Places fill up quickly, so it is wise to enroll early.

In WA, full time schooling becomes compulsory for students (called Pre-Primary) when the child turns five before June 31st.Remembering the school year starts late January/early February.

So, if a child turns five after June 31st they will need to wait until the next year to start full time schooling. The same applies to kindy, if a child turns four after June 31st they will need to wait until the next year.

Each state is different though in terms of the cut off date.

Edited by Sammy1

Thank you sammy1 and quoll, we are going to adelaide. So just to get my head around it, if I use my little boys date of birth, he is 3 this December, he will attend kindy from next January onwards, as in 2016 not 2015. And is this fee paying or is it similar to the uk's 15 hour entitlement?

Thank you sammy1 and quoll, we are going to adelaide. So just to get my head around it, if I use my little boys date of birth, he is 3 this December, he will attend kindy from next January onwards, as in 2016 not 2015. And is this fee paying or is it similar to the uk's 15 hour entitlement?

I just googled my local kindy and apparently children who are four before April 30 in any year are entitled to commence kindy at the beginning of that year. All children attend for 15 hours a week, utilising two full days a week. It says something about payments but I can't find any lists of fees. Hopefully someone can give a bit more info.