Finally going to take the plunge and look to moving to Oz......

gemsie&dave

Hi all,

The boss (wife) and I have finally decided this is the time to make the move!

We have family on the Gold Coast and they've said they'll help us as best they can, so looking to heading in that direction ?

This week we're going to look at where we start and how to get the ball rolling, so any help and advice would be gratefully received along with any suggestions on how to avoid and pitfalls!

Thank you in advance,

Dave & Gem

Hi and thank you for your reply!

My wife was a Chef in the Navy but is now a registered childminder. Unfortunately, my trade as a driver is not on the list anymore and im not fully qualified as an accountant yet.

I'm looking to see if they're are any requirements for fuel tanker and or aircraft refuellers, as I'm qualified on both and currently an armed forces reservist.

Your brain will be aching in no time!!! There is so much to take in. I have had some wonderful help and advice from the members on here. One thing I am grateful for is that no matter how daft your question maybe, people ignore the stupidity of it and gracefully answer it!!!!

Hi and thank you for your reply!

My wife was a Chef in the Navy but is now a registered childminder. Unfortunately, my trade as a driver is not on the list anymore and im not fully qualified as an accountant yet.

I'm looking to see if they're are any requirements for fuel tanker and or aircraft refuellers, as I'm qualified on both and currently an armed forces reservist.

Inam afraid at the moment it isn't looking good as one of you must have an occupation on one of the skilled lists. When will you become a fully qualified accountant?

Your brain will be aching in no time!!! There is so much to take in. I have had some wonderful help and advice from the members on here. One thing I am grateful for is that no matter how daft your question maybe, people ignore the stupidity of it and gracefully answer it!!!!

I think most of us remember what it was like to be staring into the big unknown and that the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked lol. Glad the forum has been of help

Inam afraid at the moment it isn't looking good as one of you must have an occupation on one of the skilled lists. When will you become a fully qualified accountant?

Not going to be qualified for at least 18 months at this time. I'm currently being deployed on operations as a reservist, so college is out at the moment.

Have you been out on a holiday yet? An extended holiday?

No we haven't. We both have families that emigrated a long time ago and said it was the best thing they ever did and offered to support and or sponsor us if needed.

if I ever went on holiday there, I'd not want to come back ?

HI and welcome!My parents also emigrated a long time ago (as did I with them,I was a little kid then)and Australia has changed alot since that time.My advice would be to go over there for a holiday first.There is alot to consider.Jobs,a home,schooling (if you have kids),money for car/s.You've probably already considered all this though! As others have suggested,firstly you have to see if you can apply for a visa.

HI and welcome!My parents also emigrated a long time ago (as did I with them,I was a little kid then)and Australia has changed alot since that time.My advice would be to go over there for a holiday first.There is alot to consider.Jobs,a home,schooling (if you have kids),money for car/s.You've probably already considered all this though! As others have suggested,firstly you have to see if you can apply for a visa.

I have 2 teenage kids who have moved out and 2 very young children. We're hoping that by moving as soon as, it won't affect their schooling. Just have to hope you get accepted for a visa first! Can but try.

I would also recommend a visit first and a serious amount of research about oz, the move and the life. You have time as you are not eligible until you qualify as an accountant to even begin the process. This means realistically you are looking at 2.5 years to have a visa in hand - 18 months to finish qualifacation (luckily accounting is one of the few occupations that doesn't require post qualifacation experience) then about a year to complete the visa process - skills assessment, ILETS, eoi, application, medicals, police checks.

One question. How old are you? Can be important as there are rules on age.

I would also recommend a visit first and a serious amount of research about oz, the move and the life. You have time as you are not eligible until you qualify as an accountant to even begin the process. This means realistically you are looking at 2.5 years to have a visa in hand - 18 months to finish qualifacation (luckily accounting is one of the few occupations that doesn't require post qualifacation experience) then about a year to complete the visa process - skills assessment, ILETS, eoi, application, medicals, police checks.

One question. How old are you? Can be important as there are rules on age.

Thanks for the advice!

Im 43 but the wife is only 33 (lucky me!) We are looking at using her as the main point as she is younger and is still a qualified chef.

Archived