good UK Bank

oscarcat

I have a UK bank account, primarily for periodically transferring my superan pension to my Oz bank by internet banking.

I've had enough of HSBC UK. Its internet banking procedures are the worst I've ever encountered (crude, ambiguous if not misleading, prone to crashing, unclear in many areas - the list is endless), its phone banking is abysmal (Indian call centres with a set list of answers - choose the closest - never correct, cannot actually put instructions into effect).

Can anyone recommend a better bank?

I need a free current account,

efficient internet banking procedure (anything similar to ANZor CBA would be fine)

24/7 phone banking help with UK based operative capable of actually solving any problem and carying out instructions.

Does anyone have such a bank?

If you find it difficult to open a new current account with a UK bank, perhaps you can ask the ATO or the Govt Finance Department (http://www.finance.gov.au/contact-us.html) how you are supposed to transfer funds into Australia. A couple of months ago when on holiday in the UK, I found that the UK banks wouldn't touch an Oz resident for opening a bank account due to Australian finance laws.

Maybe I should ask them myself and report back...its irked me ever since.:smile:

I use 'Smile' (The Co-operative Bank) which is entirely internet based, and I have my rent from my UK home and my UK pension from Royal Mail both paid into that account. They gave me a 'card reader' which is simple to use, to arrange to transfer funds to my ANZ account. It usually goes into my ANZ account within 48 hours. They do charge for this - 25 GBP approximately I think, and I'm sure there is one bank that does not charge? Citibank perhaps?

I have a Smile Visa/Debit card, with a 500 pound overdraft, very little interest charges, which I used to use freely to pay for things in Australia, until I realized I get charged each time. Not so bad perhaps with small amounts, but when I paid 3,000 GBP for an operation here, I also paid around 87 pounds FX charge. I really should have tranferred the money to my ANZ account for a smaller fee.

Apart from that, I like Smile. I've also got a Nationwide internet account but I don't use that so much. It used to be a hassle taking funds out of my ISA's to transfer to my other account - flexaccount?

http://www.smile.co.uk

www.nationwide.co.uk

I'm with first direct, yes part of the HSBC group BUT all online, if you need to ring them internationally they are very efficient. & based in Leeds so no Indian call centres. We still pay part of our mortgage in the UK but hubby's wage didn't go in here in oz so they arranged an emergency overdraft for us. Best bank I've ever been with & I've used lloyds, Barclays, Halifax & HSBC

• 3 months later...

Archived