Child Immunisations - Hep B??

Freddie12

We're heading out to Brisbane in March on a Permanent Residency visa (189) with our 18month old - I've just been looking at the immunisation schedule for Oz compared with the UK and it looks like we don't immunise for Hep B but they do in Oz - so I'm assuming I need to get my little one immunised for Hep B - but was just wondering if anyone had any advice/has done this and whether you got it done in the UK before you left or waited until you got to Australia? Any advice/info would be much appreciated :-)

Hi this is done as part of the babies immunisation schedule in Australia. They used to have a catch up programme but not sure if that is finished (used to be done in year 8 but that has definitely stopped now), and if it is stopped then you may have to pay for the vaccinations which will cost about $150 a shot and there are 3. If you are planning to put your child into childcare you might not get any rebates back if their not vaccinated. There are no worries health wise waiting until you get here. My friend who went to NZ had her daughters vaccinated before going out, we waited until we came to Australia but both girls were done via the catch up programme. It's 3 injections over 6 months. Hope this helps. Elena

We got it done over here too, the centrelink people were forever sending us out paperwork telling us that our rebate was going to be cancelled as our little boy was not up to date with his jabs. And we all know how much effort it is to talk to a real human at centrelink.

I rang them every 2 months until he caught up explaining ad nauseam that hep b was not given in the uk but he was on the catch up program. They wanted info from the doctor doing this. it was supplied at least three times.

In the end I started asking the person i had rung to check their notes about my previous calls first as I was ringing up for exactly the same reason again, and again, and again.....

each time they apologised and then they said they had it fixed and I wouldn't get another letter about it. Yeah right, two months later...

Of all things over here I bloody well detest centrelink :arghh:

I'm in QLD, we got both our kids done on catch up at the GP all free, when we arrived last year. 3 doses, there's a 6 month gap between the second and third dose so takes a bit.

I really wouldn't bother getting it done before you leave.

Luckily we only had centrelink contact us once about cancelling their rebate, but it did take a while to sort out.

Just go down with your Red Book from the UK with the record of your current jabs, v useful for them as it has the little barcodes on it, they loaded it all onto the system.

We're heading out to Brisbane in March on a Permanent Residency visa (189) with our 18month old - I've just been looking at the immunisation schedule for Oz compared with the UK and it looks like we don't immunise for Hep B but they do in Oz - so I'm assuming I need to get my little one immunised for Hep B - but was just wondering if anyone had any advice/has done this and whether you got it done in the UK before you left or waited until you got to Australia? Any advice/info would be much appreciated :-)

Hi, 2 of my children are currently on the catchup programme - they have their final hep B jab next week!

I would advise to just get it done out here. It's been easy enough and free at our local health clinic.

They also immunise here against chickenpox (also not on Uk schedule) which might be worth considering assuming your child hasn't already had chicken pox which, at 18 months, is probably unlikely?

They also immunise here against chickenpox (also not on Uk schedule) which might be worth considering assuming your child hasn't already had chicken pox which, at 18 months, is probably unlikely?

My son had chicken pox at 9 months and when we moved to Aus, he was 19 months old and we noticed a strange rash. This was diagnosed as shingles, all before 2! He always reacts really badly to viruses getting some spectacular rashes, leading us to be quarantined at A&E in Brisbane at one point. He had the chicken pox jab as part of his school jabs after chatting with the nurse who said it was worth doing, and yup - spectacular rash in reaction.

He must have a thing about Chicken Pox

Hi, 2 of my children are currently on the catchup programme - they have their final hep B jab next week!

I would advise to just get it done out here. It's been easy enough and free at our local health clinic.

My son had chicken pox at 6 months and we were advised to still get his jab as he is 13.

Just do it once you get here. We took our girls to see the GP/nurse, and they just sent a copy of our UK immunisation records to Medicare (for the immunisation record), and then gave the vaccinations that the kids hadn't had over the course of a few months. There was no need to wait until year 8 or anything (our girls were one and two when we arrived), they just did them. No cost to us at all.

My son had chicken pox at 9 months and when we moved to Aus, he was 19 months old and we noticed a strange rash. This was diagnosed as shingles, all before 2! He always reacts really badly to viruses getting some spectacular rashes, leading us to be quarantined at A&E in Brisbane at one point. He had the chicken pox jab as part of his school jabs after chatting with the nurse who said it was worth doing, and yup - spectacular rash in reaction.

He must have a thing about Chicken Pox

Oh bless him, poor boy. Very unlucky x

Archived