TAFE for PR?

Sean Golding

Hi guys, I have done lots of homework and I just wanted to check my plan is actually correct before I risk all my money and my hopes and dreams.

I have just turned 27, I am unskilled and have recently returned after my working holiday visa. I know that I want to make the permanent move over there and have devised a 5 year plan.

Study Carpentry at TAFE in Perth, 2 year course (4 semester) which I believe will satisfy the Australian Study requirement, returning me a Certificate 3 in Carpentry. Then go onto a graduate visa allowing me to stay and work a further 18 months.

During this 18 month period enrol on the Job Ready Program with TRA to complete my skills assessment.

If I am correct (which I may not be) then I should have completed all of this by the age of 31 (30 points), I hope to get the appropriate IELTS score (20 points), trade qualification completed in Australia (10 points) trade qualifications awarded by an Australian educational institution andmeet Australian Study Requirement (5 points) One year of skilled employment in Australia (5 points). This gives me a total of 70 points which I hope would make me eligible for a 189.

I know it's a huge risk as the migration options could well change over the few years that I am there, also carpentry could be removed from the SOL. But I am a keen believer that once I am there it is easier to stay then it is to get in externally. There may be an opportunity for sponsorship or if I am lucky de facto should my options be running out. The big bit is funding the $28kAUD needed to fund the TAFE courses.

Can anyone please shed some light as to whether I am on the correct path or if I am totally wrong.

Thank you in advance and sorry if I am being a dummy :)

As long as carpentry is on the SOL then then yes you are on the right path.

It's what I did and the job ready programme was bought in when I was literally 20 hours off a positive skills assessment under the old rules. Had they actually accepted applications until the date they advertised (31st of December) I would have been fine. As it was they shut for Xmas on the 24th of December, and even though my application would have been in a couple of days before that they said they were too busy to process it and the received date made no difference.

Have you looked at the cost of the job ready programme? Worth factoring in.

My my job was then taken off the sol (I could still get the 485 at that time) and no states were sponsoring. The only option I had was employer sponsored and that was mega hard too.

I know of lots of people who have had to return.

Have you also taken into account the limited work rights you will have?

Persobally, if I had my time again I wouldn't do it.

Please be aware that a Certificate in Carpentry is not worth anything without the practical experience (usually three years) that goes with it - which is done through an apprenticeship model (and only PR and citizens are eligible for apprenticeships). Its very unlikely anyone is going to take you on post TAFE course without being paid the supplements the government pays for apprenticeships (they effectively pay almost 3 years salary to take one on). Most apprentice wannabes do the TAFE degree first to show their potential apprentice supervisor of their committment...I doubt this is a suitable plan for PR.

Yes I believe the program costs around $3000 but at least I will be at the start of unrestricted employment when I have to pay this. I am not at all worried about the 20 hour week work restriction, I should be able to pull $500 per week from it without too much difficulty, I live in a house share and I don't smoke and rarely drink alcohol so $300 a week for food etc. shouldn't be too much of a burden, I have plenty of friends over there that may also be able to throw me the odd little extra cash job as I am a bit of a handyman. A friend of mine also owns a small roofing company, he may possibly be able to sponsor me should my options start running out, I think it's a case of "who you know" sometimes. The biggest issues then I think will be hoping that carpentry stays on the SOL and that the current migration criteria/points system doesn't change too much over the coming years. I am always the hardest worker in the room and I really hope persistence pays off!

Please be aware that a Certificate in Carpentry is not worth anything without the practical experience (usually three years) that goes with it - which is done through an apprenticeship model (and only PR and citizens are eligible for apprenticeships). Its very unlikely anyone is going to take you on post TAFE course without being paid the supplements the government pays for apprenticeships (they effectively pay almost 3 years salary to take one on). Most apprentice wannabes do the TAFE degree first to show their potential apprentice supervisor of their committment...I doubt this is a suitable plan for PR.

Doesn't sound so promising now, however is the Certificate 3 in Carpentry not a recognised Australian trade qualification? It should still give me the relevant points?

Doesn't sound so promising now, however is the Certificate 3 in Carpentry not a recognised Australian trade qualification? It should still give me the relevant points?

I think ink the minimum trade qualification for carpentry is a formalised apprenticeship which include this level of certificate plus three years FT supervised experience...you will need to check what supervised experience is required

No guarantee doing this will get you a visa. As has been said you have to be indentured to a trades person and then attend TAFE a so many days a week. For this the trades person gets an allowance from the gov to pay the apprentices wages. So for a start to get an apprenticeship you need to be a permanent resident or citizen. That is not to say they will not take your money as a student. They will but they will expect you to leave the country afterwards. This happened to a friend of my daughters, he was returned to UK by immigration despite two sisters his mother and father and grandmother living here already. However he was lucky because he was engaged to an Aussie and so she went over there to the UK they got married and then he came on a partner visa after proof of their relationship.

If you've got around £50k you're prepared to lose (fees, living, kit etc) then it'd be an adventure if nothing else. Be aware though that the increasing expectation is that students will study and then go so expect to have to leave at the end of the study time. You stand just as much chance of getting in as a qualified tradesman from overseas as you do from inside so far better to qualify and get experience where it's cheaper, save up then go.

I should also have mentioned that most people who end up having to leave at the end of their courses are ones who studied trades. Even with a willing employer sponsorship can be very hard or impossible as many trade companies don't tick all the boxes for immigration.

Maybe carpentry wouldn't be the best route then, does anybody know anything else that can be studied through TAFE that would potentially lead to PR? Once I have residency I want to apply to the police force anyway, so if I have to do something I'm not keen on for a couple of years then so be it. I just don't want to spend another 6 or 7 years here waiting to get over. Cheers for all the responses.

Maybe carpentry wouldn't be the best route then, does anybody know anything else that can be studied through TAFE that would potentially lead to PR? Once I have residency I want to apply to the police force anyway, so if I have to do something I'm not keen on for a couple of years then so be it. I just don't want to spend another 6 or 7 years here waiting to get over. Cheers for all the responses.

Certificate-level courses do not satisfy the Australian Study Requirement.

Medicine or dentistry but that's almost certainly not a go-er.

What you may want and what you can have are likely to be poles apart unfortunately.

Thinking outside the box - why not join the British Army (that'll give you some adventure) get a good skill then a few years down the track apply for a lateral transfer

Archived