Sydney or Melbourne

richselina

Hi, we've been planning to move to Melbourne in February next year but out of the blue we've been given a great job opportunity in Sydney which is worth considering.

We have always discounted sydney due to the cost of houses but having looked in areas on the South - Picnic Point or Bangor there are some properties within our $750k purchase price range. However, not having visited the southern suburbs I'm not sure of what the areas offer for a family with a 9 year old daughter where schooling would be a priority.

i would appreciate all views on the pros and cons of this region versus say living north of Hornsby.

thanks so much, Rich

I’d be interested in seeing the responses here too.

I live in Melbourne which we love, but after completing the two years here for State Sponsorship we’ve been considering trying another State.

Sydney definitely offers me greater career opportunities. What puts us off, is the house prices appear insane. The salary increase that working in Sydney would provide, does not seem to compensate this. For this reason we are considering Brisbane instead

The St George area and The Shire are nice areas. The train service is good. Places like Picnic Point and Bangor don't have good train links and commuting by car from the south is nigh-on impossible due to the heavy traffic, so you do need to look at where the nearest train stations are and how to get there (Google Maps directions is a good place to start).

I’d be interested in seeing the responses here too.

I live in Melbourne which we love, but after completing the two years here for State Sponsorship we’ve been considering trying another State.

Sydney definitely offers me greater career opportunities. What puts us off, is the house prices appear insane. The salary increase that working in Sydney would provide, does not seem to compensate this. For this reason we are considering Brisbane instead

The house prices ARE insane! Sydney is by far the most expensive city in Australia, followed by Canberra. Melbourne is third now, I think (Perth was up there for a while).

Hi, we've been planning to move to Melbourne in February next year but out of the blue we've been given a great job opportunity in Sydney which is worth considering.

We have always discounted sydney due to the cost of houses but having looked in areas on the South - Picnic Point or Bangor there are some properties within our $750k purchase price range. However, not having visited the southern suburbs I'm not sure of what the areas offer for a family with a 9 year old daughter where schooling would be a priority.

i would appreciate all views on the pros and cons of this region versus say living north of Hornsby.

thanks so much, Rich

For 750k you could have a house within walking distance of the beach on a full sized block 45 mins from the CBD in Melbourne.

BB

Why are you looking at house prices when you haven't even moved here yet?

You should be far more concerned about the price of rents.

Remember, a large element of the Aussie economic model is based on what is referred too as a 'population ponzi' meaning an ever increasing number of new entrants to 'prop up' the pyramid. The vested interests in this would like nothing more than for you to come over with a wad of nice pound notes, drop $30k on stamp duty to buy a massively over inflated property - stay here for 18 months and then bugger off back to the UK when you decide Sydney is a bit of a crap shoot.

Don't be the next sheep / fool.

Why are you looking at house prices when you haven't even moved here yet?

You should be far more concerned about the price of rents.

Remember, a large element of the Aussie economic model is based on what is referred too as a 'population ponzi' meaning an ever increasing number of new entrants to 'prop up' the pyramid. The vested interests in this would like nothing more than for you to come over with a wad of nice pound notes, drop $30k on stamp duty to buy a massively over inflated property - stay here for 18 months and then bugger off back to the UK when you decide Sydney is a bit of a crap shoot.

Don't be the next sheep / fool.

Although people will rent first... of course you have to look at house prices too.

What's the point of renting a place, getting a job.. settling your kids in school and then finding if you ever want to buy a house you'll need to move hours away which will make your commute area nightmare.

Archived