457 to 186 Transition streamep

hello, I am looking for some advice from people that have moved from the 457 to the 186 transition stream. I will be 2 years on my 457 in febuary 2015, my visa runs out a month after in march 2015...so I have a timeline to work with.

my employer is willing to do the nomination..can the nomiation be lodged before the 2 years is completed on the 457???

How much is the nomination?

I have been in contact with some migration agents and to work on my visa..i've been quoted 10,000$$$ +++

(my partner is de facto on my 457 so to lodge the visa is 5,280 anyway)

how complicated is the visa application itself?? i know its online. and i am cpmpetent on computers.

I think if the nomination is approved thats the hardest part?? am i right in thinking this.

I would love to chat to someone who has been in my situation before.

any info would be greatly appreciated!!:confused::confused:

Neither the nomination nor the visa application for a 186 via the Temporary Residence Transition stream can be lodged until you have actually clocked up to 2 years working for the sponsoring employer on a 457. The good news however is that once you lodge the visa application, you will get a Bridging visa A that will allow you to stay in Australia, with work rights until a decision is reached on your 186 application.

The visa application itself isn't particularly complex though I'm not sure what is involved with the nomination on the employer's side of things. They've already been through the 457 sponsorship and nomination process so it shouldn't be too much different but I really don't know that for sure.

A word of warning though...

You can lodge your visa application at the same time as the employer submits the nomination BUT you must pay the VAC then and if the nomination isn't approved, you lose your VAC (and it's not refundable!). Given the fact that you would need to lodge your visa application within only a month of the two year mark on the 457, that probably won't be enough time for you to know if the nomination has been approved.

It might be worth considering going for a new 457 with a validity of only a few months (i.e. long enough for the 186 nomination to be processed). You can apply before the end of the current 457 and it's likely to be granted very quickly. Your employer lodges the 186 nomination as soon as it's possible to do so and you work on the new 457 or a Bridging visa if the 457 hasn't been granted when the old one expires. When the 186 nomination has been approved, you lodge the 186 visa application and pay the VAC. Given your timeline, at least an initial consultation with a good RMA would be very wise.

The most difficult (IMO) part of the nomination is proving the employer has met the training benchmark for the past 2 years. If your employer has good records, it may not be difficult for them to do that. The rest is gathering documents (financial records, ABN registration, etc.), providing backup to the salary data, etc. I didn't find the actual application difficult, as it basically just involved gathering the required documents.

As Ozmaniac said, you may want to consider applying for a new 457 while waiting for the nomination to be approved if you'd rather not risk the visa application fees without knowing the nomination is fine. The nomination fee is $540, but if there's a migration agent involved you'd need to also add in their fees.

Archived