Carpenter needing help to submit EOI for either a 189 visa or a 489 visa

Robwilliams1983

Hi folks I am looking for some help to fill in my EOI on skillselect as in a bit of a panic over it.

Please could someone guide me on how to fill in the EOI form, as I am unsure about sections like education and work experience.

My Background

I am from the uk so I have a British passport

I am 31 years old

I have had a positive result back from Vetassess for my carpentry skills.

I have done my apprenticeship, which was 5 years from 2004 - 2009

I then did carpentry from 2009 to 2012

I am now a h&s officer and estimator for a construction company from 2012 to present

My wife has got a brother who is permanent resident in Australia so could use him as sponsorship for 5 extra points if needed but would idealy like a 189 visa.

I have got my IELTS booked for 6th of December just in case I need to get extra points

Questions

On the education and work experience sections do I put that I have now got a Australian III certificate or not?

On the work experience section do I include my apprenticeship years as I see from some older posts people are unsure whether to include these years. Also should I include my h&s/estimator role as it is related to construction

Thanks in advanced for anyone's help

Welcome to pio

Given you get 30 points for age you should aim for the 189, or 190 which are both PR visas. The 489 should be last resort, also there are very limited numbers of invitations each month for 489 family sponsored and process can be longer that 189.

Post qualification work experience can generally only be used for points purposes, and you won't get points for the 5 years as an apprentice, I would not include these. As for including your new role for work experience, maybe worth getting advice from a registered migration agent as you would need to show that it is closely related, if DIBP decides that they are not closely related your application will be refused and you will lose your application fee.

you will get 10 points for the education qualification.

I would work on the IELTS, but if you can only get 10 points for it - the 190 would be a better option over the 489.

where does the brother live, as the need to live in regional Australia to be eligible sponsors.

Thanks for the warm welcome and for getting back to me with regards to my query.

I see some people say not to include time as apprenticeship but some people do and it has been passed for a visa, as long as you were paid at least 20 hours a week it is acceptable. Couldn't see anywhere in booklet 6 that said otherwise?

So do I add my newly acquired australian certificate level 3 in the education or just fill in the part of EOI where it asks if a skills assessment has been done?

Can I add my HNC in construction to my education section to the Australian equivalent or does this need to be assessed by VETASSESS or another assessing body first?

With all the options you have shown there I would only be entitled to 50 points or 55 with my brother in law sponsoring us, unless I can get 20 points in the IELTS

brother lives in Perth and luckily if it's a family sponsor it can be anywhere in WA

Hi, my husband is a carpenter and he gained the level 3 carpentry certificate via his vetassess skype test. Our agent has always asked for dates from when his apprenticeship began and he gained enough points to not have to sit the english test. He is 31 and started his apprenticeship at 17, done 4 years and worked in that occupation ever since so surely you'd get the same points. Oh actually as im typing we have applied for a 190 visa and going for state sponsorship gains you extra points im sure.

P.s. when we lodged our application WA didnt have carpenters on their list so we applies to SA and got it. State sponsorship isnt a legal requirement so once we get our visa we fully intend on heading straight to Perth ourselves as his cousins also emigrated there. So thats an option if youre in the same boat.

Hi seems like we are in the same boat, except I did 5 year apprenticeship and then only 3 years as a carpenter after, now the company's h&s officer and also an estimator.

You sign an agreement with SA to say you will remain in the state for 2 years at least and if you want to leave then you have to write to them and apply?

Hi, not sure what sort of points for work your experience, i know my husband got as many as he could have due to being in the occupation over so many years (dont remember how long).

As for state sponsorship, if its a 190 visa its a moral obligation and the state asks that if you leave their state you inform them. If its a 489 then im sure part of the terms are that you stay in nominated state for so long.

Thanks for the warm welcome and for getting back to me with regards to my query.

I see some people say not to include time as apprenticeship but some people do and it has been passed for a visa, as long as you were paid at least 20 hours a week it is acceptable. Couldn't see anywhere in booklet 6 that said otherwise?

So do I add my newly acquired australian certificate level 3 in the education or just fill in the part of EOI where it asks if a skills assessment has been done?

Can I add my HNC in construction to my education section to the Australian equivalent or does this need to be assessed by VETASSESS or another assessing body first?

With all the options you have shown there I would only be entitled to 50 points or 55 with my brother in law sponsoring us, unless I can get 20 points in the IELTS

brother lives in Perth and luckily if it's a family sponsor it can be anywhere in WA

You will not be able to get points for work experience while on an apprenticeship. If you include your apprenticeship dates and the EOI gives you points for those years, do not assume that that means you're eligible for them - you won't be and you must change the dates so that you don't overclaim points.

Put the CERTIII and the HNC but again, make sure the EOI only credits you with a total of 10 points for qualifications. I doubt it would give you any more than 10 but check to make sure.

If you need additional points, go for Superior English on IELTS so you can get the points for a 189 or 190 rather than a family sponsored 489 - you'll wait a long time for a 489 AND it's only a provisional visa. It IS possible to get the maximum points on IELTS though it may take more than one try. Read the following thread for encouragement and advice:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/204946-ielts-band-8-too-hard-iam-tradesman-my-skills-my-hands.html