ANY VETS OUT THERE? Advice needed please

LojaChica

Hi All

I'm in a panic here...................VET will NOT pass my Dog fit to fly! :sad:She is 17 and healthy! I paid for extra General Health Tests and Kidneys, Liver, Heart & Lungs came back fine! Basically he said he is NOT prepared to put his name to the certificate in case a Vet at the Airport questions it and thinks she is too old................."It's my reputation and the good name of my practice is on the line" he said!

Although I can see it from his point of view it's difficult for me to comprehend and deal with because he has passed my other Dog who is 11 and has three legs! (YES you are allowed to giggle at this point)

I will be honest and say yes! Her teeth need doing BUT apart from this she is happy...........bit creaky in the back legs and partially blind and deaf BUT as my Pet Shippers say (PETAIR by the way Fantastic).......................they feel she will cope with the flight better than the 11 year old as she won't be as aware of what is going on around her! AND they have flown Dogs older than her with no casualities!

I have seriously questioned my motives here (before some of you may shout at me) BUT I'd rather try than not at all! Leaving her or the "other" option is just NOT an option at the moment!

Her Mother lived until she was 21 so she is a pretty hardy breed and trust me when I see her playfully running around the house and playing/setting the other Dog daily then HOW can I NOT think about trying?

Some of you may support me on this and some not however.....................I would really appreciate any opinions on how to move forward?

Apologies for the long winded post but it is close to my heart as you can imagine!

Can ANYONE offer a solution PLEeeeeeeeeeease?

try another vet maybe? If your own isn't willing to do it that's prob the only option as you obviously dont want to leave her or have her put down for no reason....but what would you dog be like in oz, would she cope with the quarantine and the heat? I'm just playing devils advocate, not saying you should leave her. I could never leave mine, was hard enough going off to uni and leaving him with my mum!

Good luck with whatever you decide. :spinny:

Hiya

Wow what a huge decision to have to make. I weighed up all the pros and cons of bringing my nine year old dog over here. He's just a puppy compared to your 17 year old.

One thing you do have to bear in mind is the stresses the plane flight will put on your dog.

It isn't just a three hour hop over to Europe. 24 hours on a plane is not only very taxing for us but also puts huge strains on the dog.

Quarantine can be harsh for some dogs. My dog lost 5kgs in 30 days. If I'm being honest I think the whole process has aged him by years.

He also really struggled with the change in climate when he first arrived. He is though getting better each day and I've had to totally clip out his coat, to help keep him cool.

If I was in your position I would possibly get a second opinion from another vet. If they also wouldn't give an ok as "fit to fly" I would go with that opinion.

I would presume the vet at the airport has the last say anyway. If he says the dog isn't flying, then it isn't flying. Also another thing to think about. If your vet gives the ok to fly and the airport vet says no, then what happens to your dog?

Will you still be in the UK to take the dog back home with you?

If you are already in Oz, where does the dog go from there, if it isn't getting on the plane?

Tough choices hun. Good luck with it all.

Debs x x

We brought our aged cat .... we'd asked our own vet his opinion and he said no reason not to take her (she was 15), but the company we used Pets on the move took her to a vet prior to departure for her fitness to fly certificate.

What about contacting a pet carrier service and asking which vets they use - and go and see them, or another vet, from what you've said there is no reason why your dog shouldn't be allowed to go.

Ali

HUGE THANKYOU to all that have replied so far......................I agree with all your opinions...............another Vet is an option???? Re:Me being here or not and IF she isn't allowed to fly at the last hurdle Debs.........My mate will look after her if it comes down to "hey lads hey" as we say in the North BUT with respect to my Friend that really is a last resort as she has a disabled Hubby and I just don't feel I can ask that of her long term unless I really NEED to.....................I have put adverts in the paper to no avail...........I have really tried on this one and now feel I need to pursue this one way or another! Welsh? I agree with what you are saying........IF I got a 2nd opinion and he says no then I just have to accept it I know...............As said before I have questioned my motives in this long term BUT now I'm counting down the days and just feel I need to try and then take it from there! IS THERE ANY VETS OPINIONS OUT THERE??????

Thankyou Guys................appreciate it

I was a Vet Nurse for three years but that still doesn't qualify me to say that your dog will or will not be ok on the flight or quarantine.

I would still get the second veterinary opinion and take it from there.

Debs x x

I've just reread your original post.

Am I right in assuming that your 17 year old dog has fully completed all the requirements to enter Australia by your vet. All except the fit to fly bit?

If that is the case. Why has the vet done all that for you if they were never going to sign the dog off as "fit to fly"

I'm just a bit curious.

Debs x x

Guest Clare Pickersgill

Hi there

Im in the same boat so no how u feel but have let my common sense make the decision in the end not my heart, my oldest dog is 11 and riddled with arthritis but very happy and looks as fit as my 2 year old dog there breed only has a life expectancy of 12 though! wen at the vets 2 weeks ago to get his tablets I asked about taking him again to OZ hoping for a good reply this time and her opinion is this, there is a chance he could make the flight ok and get through quarantine ok but just a chance, it is a very long flight in very crammped conditions and the bottom line is what would i do if i was told that he had not made the journey and passed away enroute? I can not live with this risk and would never forgive myself for putting him through that so my answer is made! (my vet is also a good friend)sorry to be bringer of bad tidings but another view to look at!

All the best and hope it works out for U

Clare PX

I too cannot understand why the vet took your money (and time!!) and also put your dog through the tests to tell you that he couldn't pass him to fly??? Was there ANY cause for concern at all apart from his age? I'd be seriously annoyed and would want to know why he didn't mention his intentions at the beginning. Infact, I'd be seriously thinking of reporting him!

I think seeing another vet is a very good idea. Isn't there a 'waiver' that you can sign to exhonorate the vet from blame if the dog doesn't make the trip? I'm SURE you will find a solution to your problem and I can sympathise greatly as we are hoping to take our two mutts.........one of which was very seriously poorly and almost died at Xmas, but the vet assured us it wouldn't affect the move!!

I hope everything works out for you and your dogs in Australia..........good luck.

Lisa,x

Well I'm far from being an expert on these matters.

To me I see the end responsibility being with the owner.

If the dog is healthy enough to fly and cope with quarantine, I would see the age as immaterial. It doesn't matter if the dog is one year or 17 years if it's healthy it's healthy. Having said that though the age will have a bearing on the dogs ability to cope with the flight, quarantine and the change in climate.

The final decision on whether the dog gets on the plane or not is down to the vet at the airport. They will not let the dog fly if they think it won't survive it.

I'm starting to think your vet refusing to sign the dog off as fit to fly, is maybe their way of saying they don't really think it's a good idea for the dog to make the trip.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Oh and Clare.... My dog has severe hip dysplasia and he was given a crate slightly bigger than he required so as to give him a bit more room to move around in.

Also in some parts of OZ the climate can really help arthritis.

My boy suffered for a few weeks when he first got here, mainly due to the small crate he was cramped into for his flight from Sydney to Cairns, as his UK one wouldn't fit in the cargo hold. He had a short course of steroids to help him through. Now he's doing really well, whereas in the UK he would be on steroids every winter because of the cold damp conditions.

Just a thought for you hun, but then I think we all know deep down what is going to be the best decision for them.

Debs x x

Archived