Slightly complicated!

Big Richard

Firstly hiya everyone never posted before but I thought I would give it a go!

I am after some advice and guidance of possible?

I have spoken to several migration agents and my issue seems to fall into the too difficult box so maybe I can get some help here?

Our family is very ready to move to oz, in particular South Australia and the Jamestown area. We have visited Australia a lot and this region three times in the last 5 years so we know what we want and where we want to be. However this is the complicated part!

We want to start a business in Australia, it is a business that would only work in Australia and is quite specific to the climate and environment; I don't want to go into too much detail as it is not commercially ready to disclose yet, however the issue is that we don't have anywhere near the funds required to fulfil the requirements for a business visa, nor do we have the business background.

We have secured a deal with an Australian bank for $250000 based on our idea and business plan so actual business funding is not an issue, however the money for the visa cannot be borrowed.

Our backgrounds are that I am an unqualified owner of a haulage business in the UK, which I will not be selling prior to our move, and my wife is a police officer and a mum of 3 children.

So there we go! Any ideas?

Oh to top it off the offer from the bank stands until October 2015, at which point it will be revoked or reviewed!

Is there any chance of your wife getting a job with the police in South Australia?

If that came with sponsorship it would cover the whole family - assuming it was a temporary work visa it may effect your ability to get the finance but I am sure i have seen people on here before getting permanent residency quite quickly through the police.

It really depends on your appetite for risk as any kind of temporary visa would not guarantee you any permanent route to stay but it might give the business time to flourish and open up other option there.

If you really are prepared to take a risk then your wife could maybe get a student visa? That is really thinking laterally but maybe she could retrain in something that MIGHT lead to PR in the future? She could work 20 hours a week and you'd be free to work full-time.

TBH is migration agents haven't come up with a solution I doubt there is one :( Assuming you have gone to good agents - Go Matilda are often recommended on here. We used Overseas Emigration and they certainly knew their stuff but our case was fairly straightforward, they just spotted an opportunity we'd missed which meant a much easier skills assessment for me and no IELTS for my OH.

Can you not apply for state sponsorship as a Transport Company Manager?

You don't have to do that job when you get there.

No idea what the skills assessment would require but I would have thought there would be a mechanism for 'RPL' i.e based on your experience on the job.

Unfortunately my wife has too much service for South Australia police and they are not currently recruiting (they currently have a 7 year service limit and she has 10 years)

Ironically I have just had an email from an agent with an option for me as a transport company manager which is on the csol for sa. However I am not degree qualified for this despite having 10ish years experience in the field. I am happy to takes degree if that's what it means I have to do to get in but knowing my luck by the time I finish and then get my years post qualification 'experience' it will have come off the csol!

My wife will be the main driver of the business, I will simply be there to look good (lol) so 20 hours won't really work.

Someone who we know via our travels suggested opening the business, then sponsor ourselves via the business? Seemed a bit dodgy to me though!

Firstly hiya everyone never posted before but I thought I would give it a go!

I am after some advice and guidance of possible?

I have spoken to several migration agents and my issue seems to fall into the too difficult box so maybe I can get some help here?

Our family is very ready to move to oz, in particular South Australia and the Jamestown area. We have visited Australia a lot and this region three times in the last 5 years so we know what we want and where we want to be. However this is the complicated part!

We want to start a business in Australia, it is a business that would only work in Australia and is quite specific to the climate and environment; I don't want to go into too much detail as it is not commercially ready to disclose yet, however the issue is that we don't have anywhere near the funds required to fulfil the requirements for a business visa, nor do we have the business background.

We have secured a deal with an Australian bank for $250000 based on our idea and business plan so actual business funding is not an issue, however the money for the visa cannot be borrowed.

Our backgrounds are that I am an unqualified owner of a haulage business in the UK, which I will not be selling prior to our move, and my wife is a police officer and a mum of 3 children.

So there we go! Any ideas?

Oh to top it off the offer from the bank stands until October 2015, at which point it will be revoked or reviewed!

More information would be required to map out a proper visa strategy but one thought is to have your current business in the UK sponsor you for a Subclass 457 visa.

More information would be required to map out a proper visa strategy but one thought is to have your current business in the UK sponsor you for a Subclass 457 visa.

We looked at that but we would then need a 'branch' to open in Australia, it is important for us to maintain separation between the two businesses as I don't want shareholder interference on the new venture (which is in a completely different business arena)

If you really are prepared to take a risk then your wife could maybe get a student visa? That is really thinking laterally but maybe she could retrain in something that MIGHT lead to PR in the future? She could work 20 hours a week and you'd be free to work full-time.

Partners on a student visa are also restricted to 20 hours a week work. Infact they can work less than the student visa holder, as the student can work full time in the holidays which the partner can't.

Partners on a student visa are also restricted to 20 hours a week work. Infact they can work less than the student visa holder, as the student can work full time in the holidays which the partner can't.

Unless the primary applicant is enrolled for a Masters course. In that case the partner is not work restricted.

Yes indeed. The student also then if free to work as many hours as they like aren't they? So if the student is restricted, so is the partner, if the student isn't restricted, neither is the partner.

No. The student is still restricted to 40 hours per fortnight when their course is in session.

So let me get this straight. If I do a masters course based on my transport company manager status, and do it in oz as a distance learning course the we can go on a student visa? Will that include my wife and 3 young children? We can then set up the business get it running and then try to get pr from there?

Damn complicated!

No. You can't do distance learning. It has to be a course in an actual school/tafe/uni.

It also costs mega money to do courses here as an international student.

It would really be worth having a good chat with a good MARA agent. You've had some replies on here. In your position spending the money for someone to go over your case would be well worth it.

So let me get this straight. If I do a masters course based on my transport company manager status, and do it in oz as a distance learning course the we can go on a student visa? Will that include my wife and 3 young children? We can then set up the business get it running and then try to get pr from there?

Damn complicated!

A Masters course will be quite costly too. My OH burned all her savings on hers 15 years ago. It is also hard work and quite all-consuming I understand, leaving you very little energy to give to supporting your wife in the business. I don't know if you would get thrown off if you failed to do the work too (I can check that one with my OH).

A Masters course will be quite costly too. My OH burned all her savings on hers 15 years ago. It is also hard work and quite all-consuming I understand, leaving you very little energy to give to supporting your wife in the business. I don't know if you would get thrown off if you failed to do the work too (I can check that one with my OH).

I have contacted go Matilda based on recommendations from this site so I hope they can assist. The replies I have had are great, so let's see what they say when I put them forward to them.

Guest The Pom Queen

Also drop Raul a message he is an excellent agent and knows his stuff. He has replied below along with Westly who is another good agent.

You have to hit at least 80% attendance to keep your visa. Not sure on actual work levels.

Hi Richard.

Sounds like a possible self sponsored 457 visa to get you to Australia, and you progress to permanent residency from there, probably via the TRT stream of subclass 186 after a couple of years.

Not sure I'd muddy the waters with a student visa unless there are practical issues that necessitate you getting to Australia to progress the 457.

One such issue can be the need to have an Aus resident individual to incorporate a new Pty Limited in Australia as the entity which facilitates the 457 visa process.

Best regards.

Alan

I have one of your guys looking into it for me, I must say I do find it all rather confusing. So many different visas and sub classes

That's why in all but the most straight forward cases it is worth paying for a migration agent - they do do something for their money despite what some people think :)

Our case was straight forward but the help my OH got with his ACS RPL and the alternative strategies they identified, making the whole thing easier for us was well worth it.

Archived