Petrol Prices

The Broughtons

I just wanted to point out something about the cost of petrol to those that are not yet here in Australia. Prices have increased by 20-30c a litre since we arrived in September. The average is now about $1.40 in our neck of the woods.

This is still cheaper than the UK but when you get here it won't be cheap any more. You'll be spending the aussie dollars that you earn! It costs about $85 to fill my car up, I earn about $200 a day. That is a lot of money out of my wages.

Now this isn't a scare tactic, I am just trying to ensure people are aware that converting from dollars back to pounds will make some things sound cheap but you won't be earning pounds any more.

Sorry if this comes across as negative but we didn't think like this when we were planning to come and wished we had done.

Felicity:cute:

Guest rosie

Petrol here in the UK is now around £1.10 litre and deisel around £1.18

In the USA deisel is over $4 a US gallon as well :arghh:

It varies here on the Gold Coast, from about $1.35 to $1.45 in general. It is cheaper on a tuesday here, so I have to make sure I fill up then! For those of you in the U.K, if you buy your shopping at Coles or Woolworths, on the bottom of the docket is a voucher for 4c a litre off petrol at a participating petrol station, so make sure you save them too!

We're supposed to be getting FuelWatch here in Qld by the end of the year too- for those in WA, does that make it any easier/cheaper?

Jo x

Guest Graham&kym

Petrol prices in Oz cheapepest in WA, however, as stated, think pounds for dollars..so 1.19 pounds in the uk...$1.39 in OZ or more... economy under same strains as UK re housing, loans, rents, shopping. Sun shines, but it aint all roses..

Guest andy-notts

I run a courier business and its hitting us harder than most. The most expensive diesel I've seen is 125.9pence per litre. Theres rumours within our industry that the £1.50 litre of diesel will be here by christmas. This raise cannot continue at this rate without devestating effects on business. Our goverment is to blame in this country as we pay 75% tax on fuel :realmad:

Guest Les & Woz
I just wanted to point out something about the cost of petrol to those that are not yet here in Australia. Prices have increased by 20-30c a litre since we arrived in September. The average is now about $1.40 in our neck of the woods.

This is still cheaper than the UK but when you get here it won't be cheap any more. You'll be spending the aussie dollars that you earn! It costs about $85 to fill my car up, I earn about $200 a day. That is a lot of money out of my wages.

Now this isn't a scare tactic, I am just trying to ensure people are aware that converting from dollars back to pounds will make some things sound cheap but you won't be earning pounds any more.

Sorry if this comes across as negative but we didn't think like this when we were planning to come and wished we had done.

Felicity:cute:

Hi Felicity

Thanks for the info. Petrol in Kent is now £1.15 a litre and my council tax is £207 per month. My car tax was £400 for the year (just bought it). Things are also going up here but not wages!!!!!

Best wishes.:twitcy:

Les

I totally understand the argument that you earn in dollars and therefore spend in dollars. But the way I see it is that if you earn £20k in the UK, you pay £1.15 per ltr for petrol. In Oz your wage is likely to be $40k for a similar job, so paying $1.40 per ltr is still a lot cheaper that in the UK which ever way you look at it.

Just my thoughts

The Tuckers

I totally understand the argument that you earn in dollars and therefore spend in dollars. But the way I see it is that if you earn £20k in the UK, you pay £1.15 per ltr for petrol. In Oz your wage is likely to be $40k for a similar job, so paying $1.40 per ltr is still a lot cheaper that in the UK which ever way you look at it.

Just my thoughts

The Tuckers

I hear what you are saying but when you earnt £35000 in the UK like me and my OH and now earn $33000 and $32000 it's not so cheap.

I just wanted to point out that life isn't as cheap over here as people believe it to be, bread and milk are also sore points!

Felicity

Guest Dave53
I hear what you are saying but when you earnt £35000 in the UK like me and my OH and now earn $33000 and $32000 it's not so cheap.

I just wanted to point out that life isn't as cheap over here as people believe it to be, bread and milk are also sore points!

Felicity

A very good point , and one I have been trying to promote for a long time , although it appears that it usually falls on silent ears . The price of petrol in Aus is rising at a far higher rate than in the UK . If its present rate of increase continues ( and it probably will ) then it will overtake the UK price , make no mistake about that :arghh:..Also Felicity is right , the cost of basic food stuff is far higher in Aus than in Britain . If you are in doubt , just check on line pricing such as Asda and make a comparison . I think you are in for a surprise .

Dave

Guest Edinburger

Rising demand and a falling supply? We ain't seen nothing yet.

An Aussie oil market expert was on SBS the other night saying that he expects prices to quadruple in the next 3-4 years. Now, I'd take that with a pinch of slat, but in the mid to long term there is only one way those prices are going.

On a brighter note folks... don't forget you can get 4c off the price of a litre if you shop at woolworths/ big w or coles or k mart..... and to quote a certain supermarket in the uk... 'every little helps' !!

min x:wubclub:

Bicycles (pedal ones not motorbikes!) are pretty cheap here, can be bought new from $80; maybe that's the way to go! Filling up my big car costs nearly that in one go! (have to buy a big trailer for the kids though :biglaugh:)

Jo x

Guest pabloke99

I'd suggest that soaring fuel prices is a world-wide issue, with the price of crude at an all time high. It is therefore pointless using it as a comparison between Aus and UK, other than as a point to consider when choosing which car to buy; drivers of gas-guzzlers beware!

Guest Dave53
I'd suggest that soaring fuel prices is a world-wide issue, with the price of crude at an all time high. It is therefore pointless using it as a comparison between Aus and UK, other than as a point to consider when choosing which car to buy; drivers of gas-guzzlers beware!

That is true , however , the UK petrol pricing is related to the World parity oil price , while the Australian petrol pricing is govered by a seperate set of criteria , the Singapore oil index . Hence the disparity between the rate of increase in price at the pump between the two countries ..

Dave C

Guest stickman

I'm just sat here wondering... with Aus being that much larger than the UK, do any of you that have moved over there find that you're having to cover much more mileage to do the things that you want/have to? Possibly a stupid question but I remember speaking to a girl that was over here from Brisbane years ago and she commented on how difficult to comprehend the British mentality of driving 300 miles to London for example was a pain because 'back home', she'd think nothing of driving 500+ miles to visit a friend

Guest Dave53

Absolutely .... Personally I drive around 35,000 Kms a year just doing "normal " trips , like shopping , going to and fro from work etc. It is a big country , and it takes a little while to comprehend driving 80Kms round trip to the nearest shopping centre . This is the reason why the price of fuel is so important to us here . Yes it may be cheaper at the moment than in GB , but we spend on average a much higher % of our income on the stuff . It is interesting to note , that all we talk about is petrol , but for many the price of diesel is even more of an issue . Diesel is pushing $1.65 Ltr , and we all know that has a direct influence on delivery costs , hence the cost of living ..

DaveC

Guest andy-notts
That is true , however , the UK petrol pricing is related to the World parity oil price , while the Australian petrol pricing is govered by a seperate set of criteria , the Singapore oil index . Hence the disparity between the rate of increase in price at the pump between the two countries ..

Dave C

It would be interesting to know what the rate of tax on australian fuel is?

The UK rate is a whopping 75% (currently the highest in the world)

I interate my previous post....I run a courier business in the UK and do roughly 120k miles per year and talk within the industry suggests the cost of diesel will be hovering around the £1.50 mark per litre by christmas.

Guest andy-notts
It would be interesting to know what the rate of tax on australian fuel is?

The UK rate is a whopping 75% (currently the highest in the world)

I interate my previous post....I run a courier business in the UK and do roughly 120k miles per year and talk within the industry suggests the cost of diesel will be hovering around the £1.50 mark per litre by christmas.

If anybody saw the news this morning they were saying that a garage in birmingham are selling diesel at 139.9p per litre and one in scotland at 144.9p perlitre

Archived