Police caution

drusif

Hi Guys,

I've been living in Australia for over two years now on a 457 visa. I'm now applying for the 189 via the points system.

i had a police check when i originally came over and had no issues, i now need to do another for the 189 visa with the ACRO police check.

i have a caution for possession of canabis from about 13 years ago when i was 17. pretty sure if won't be an issue as i had no convictions.

any ideas if it will be ok?

Kind regards

Kristian

Hi Guys,

I've been living in Australia for over two years now on a 457 visa. I'm now applying for the 189 via the points system.

i had a police check when i originally came over and had no issues, i now need to do another for the 189 visa with the ACRO police check.

i have a caution for possession of canabis from about 13 years ago when i was 17. pretty sure if won't be an issue as i had no convictions.

Kind regards

Kristian

Let them carry out the check, it's highly unlikely they'll have kept records for a caution (is that a conviction?)

I had a friend who was super honest on a US visa form and self-declared something similar. They asked for more details from the UK police and they had no knowledge of anything, let alone details. Caused a 6 month delay though, nobody knew what to do as he'd owned up to something that nobody could prove he'd done !

Hi Guys,

Kind regards

Kristian

Regulations and policy in this area have recently changed and are undergoing further changes.

If you plan to rely on advice about what others claim to have done historically, you might want to read this:

Migration Amendment (Character and General Visa Cancellation) Bill 2014

and also undertake a Google search for Regulation 4020 and Section 501

thanks guys.

to be honest i can't see the point in my declaring it. I'm paying the police to give me report on what they have about me, its a minor caution for a class c drug from when i was still under 18 so may not even be on record anymore.

if they do find it I'm sure i can say i didn't even realise i had a caution for it an thought it was just a verbal warning. who remembers such trivial information from 13 years ago!

thanks guys.

to be honest i can't see the point in my declaring it. I'm paying the police to give me report on what they have about me, its a minor caution for a class c drug from when i was still under 18 so may not even be on record anymore.

if they do find it I'm sure i can say i didn't even realise i had a caution for it an thought it was just a verbal warning. who remembers such trivial information from 13 years ago!

Computers have long memories.

You would be most unwise to not disclose it. If you disclose it and it doesn't turn up on your PCC, nothing lost and I'd be most surprised if it delays things in any way. If you DON'T declare it and it turns up on your PCC, you could be in for major problems for failing to disclose it. Westly Russell has given you the reasons and he is a highly experienced RMA who really knows his stuff.

Archived