Australia Tops the rankings yet again

Cerberus1

[img2=RIGHT]http://www.pomsinoz.com/images/number1.png[/img2]The results of two surveys have been released over the past week and Australia has come out on top in both.

NatWest International Personal Banking (IPB) Quality of Life Index

British expats still living the dream down under but the Eastern promise tempts

• Australia is top for British expats
  • 87% of British expats in Australia intend to remain there for the long haul
  • China jumped six places from 11th to fifth position
  • UAE remains one to watch
  • Europe reaches bottom of the Index for the first time in seven years
  • A third of British expats in France would move back to the UK

Life down under is judged to have the ingredients for a happier, healthier and wealthier life, with nine in ten (89%) British expats in Australia reporting an improved quality of life according to the seventh annual NatWest International Personal Banking (IPB) Quality of Life Index.

The ‘Quality of Life’ study was carried out for NatWest International Personal Banking by the Centre for Future Studies between May and June 2014 among 1804 British expats. The study reveals for over eight in ten (82%) British expats in Australia the number one reason for them being there is the better environment and quality of life for their children, with a further 73 per cent also having seen their health improve. Over two thirds (68%) say they are wealthier, reporting an increase in disposable income since moving to Australia and a further 88 per cent rate the state of the economy highly.

For over eight in ten (84%) Brits, the Aussie sunshine is one of the top five reasons for living there, so much so that 87 per cent will remain in Australia indefinitely, with 26 per cent of the expats living in the country, already retired.

natwest2014.png

Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Regional Well Being

Australia edged out 34 other nations to be considered the best country in which to live. Australia beat out Austria, Belgium, Canada and Chile to take top spot in the national rankings.

The findings were revealed in an interactive online report measuring regional well-being by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

The report focused on nine measures to gauge well-being; income, environment, housing, jobs, health, education, safety, access to services and civic engagement.

The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) beat NSW, Victoria and 297 other global regions as the best place to live in the world right now.

The ACT’s average income was the highest of any state or territory in Australia and ranked among the top 4 per cent of the 300 global regions identified by the OECD.

Compared across all OECD regions, the ACT is in the top 4 per cent for health, top 4 per cent for civic engagement, top 9 per cent for environment and top 10 per cent for access to services.

The region also fared well for jobs, ranking 1 in Australia and among the top 6 per cent worldwide, with an average employment rate of 71.9 per cent and unemployment rate of just 3.9 per cent.

Indicators such as income (7.3 points), health (9 points), environment (9.5 points), safety (9.8 points) and civic engagement (10 points) pushed Australia above the rest.

oecd2014.png

Remember it refers to ex pats not migrants as such. Hence China and UAE being so high.

I think you are engaging in semantics trying to differentiate between 'expats' and 'migrants'. Besides, people DO tend to come to Australia to migrate, whereas in The Middle East, China, etc, it's more likely that they come to work on highly paid contracts with no desire to actually 'live' in the country. I know expats who have spent their whole working lives in The Middle East, but they are definitely not 'migrants.'

And, as far as Australia is concerned, 'expat' is often both an interchangeable term for 'migrant' and a stepping stone on the way to 'becoming' an 'Aussie.' I don't mind if people call me a Pommie expat, or for that matter, an Aussie expat when I was living back in the UK for twelve years. I suppose, strictly speaking, I WAS an Aussie expat then because I always intended to come back to Australia, hence HMRC accepting that I was 'domiciled' in Australia. But in every way I was no different to anybody else 'living' there. I worked, payed taxed, voted in elections.

I noticed one line in the OP's post which I have copied to here:

Australia is top for British expats

87% of British expats in Australia intend to remain there for the long haul.

Guest Guest 47403
[img2=RIGHT]http://www.pomsinoz.com/images/number1.png[/img2]The results of two surveys have been released over the past week and Australia has come out on top in both.

NatWest International Personal Banking (IPB) Quality of Life Index

British expats still living the dream down under but the Eastern promise tempts

• Australia is top for British expats

• 87% of British expats in Australia intend to remain there for the long haul

• China jumped six places from 11th to fifth position

• UAE remains one to watch

• Europe reaches bottom of the Index for the first time in seven years

• A third of British expats in France would move back to the UK

Life down under is judged to have the ingredients for a happier, healthier and wealthier life, with nine in ten (89%) British expats in Australia reporting an improved quality of life according to the seventh annual NatWest International Personal Banking (IPB) Quality of Life Index.

The ‘Quality of Life’ study was carried out for NatWest International Personal Banking by the Centre for Future Studies between May and June 2014 among 1804 British expats. The study reveals for over eight in ten (82%) British expats in Australia the number one reason for them being there is the better environment and quality of life for their children, with a further 73 per cent also having seen their health improve. Over two thirds (68%) say they are wealthier, reporting an increase in disposable income since moving to Australia and a further 88 per cent rate the state of the economy highly.

For over eight in ten (84%) Brits, the Aussie sunshine is one of the top five reasons for living there, so much so that 87 per cent will remain in Australia indefinitely, with 26 per cent of the expats living in the country, already retired.

natwest2014.png

Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Regional Well Being

Australia edged out 34 other nations to be considered the best country in which to live. Australia beat out Austria, Belgium, Canada and Chile to take top spot in the national rankings.

The findings were revealed in an interactive online report measuring regional well-being by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

The report focused on nine measures to gauge well-being; income, environment, housing, jobs, health, education, safety, access to services and civic engagement.

The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) beat NSW, Victoria and 297 other global regions as the best place to live in the world right now.

The ACT’s average income was the highest of any state or territory in Australia and ranked among the top 4 per cent of the 300 global regions identified by the OECD.

Compared across all OECD regions, the ACT is in the top 4 per cent for health, top 4 per cent for civic engagement, top 9 per cent for environment and top 10 per cent for access to services.

The region also fared well for jobs, ranking 1 in Australia and among the top 6 per cent worldwide, with an average employment rate of 71.9 per cent and unemployment rate of just 3.9 per cent.

Indicators such as income (7.3 points), health (9 points), environment (9.5 points), safety (9.8 points) and civic engagement (10 points) pushed Australia above the rest.

oecd2014.png

Not surprised tbh it's a great place to live for an ex pat/migrant, am surprised the UK doesn't rank above some of the other countries in the top 10 though.

Another recent survey from Inter Nations ranks Australia 09th out of 160 surveyed countries when it comes to the Top Expat destinations.

expatinsider.png

InterNations has conducted a survey called Expat Insider 2014 – completed by close to 14,000 expatriates. It aims to provide a comprehensive picture of life abroad: Focusing on the general quality of life, it identifies the most popular expat destinations. Topics covered include work, family, relationships and romance, leisure, and personal finances.

Australia was ranked 9th out of the 61 countries surveyed.

• One in five respondents (20%) moved to Australia primarily for a better quality of life – more than twice the global average of 9%
  • Australia tops the Leisure sub-ranking for its abundance of social and leisure activities. The survey revealed that 84% of the participants think the availability of leisure activities in Australia is great (globally 61%).
  • Four out of five (82%) are happy with the weather and climate in the Land Down Under.
  • 82% also feel safe, which is a noticeable difference to the global average of 73%.
  • Political stability and peacefulness: Almost nine out of ten of respondents (87%) consider these factors good or excellent – significantly above the global average of 65%.
  • Australia ranks 12th out of 61 countries for the local quality of life.
  • Transport infrastructure: Only half of the respondents (49%) consider it to be good or very good, which leaves it lagging slightly behind the global average of 53%.
  • Finding Your Feet Australia’s high ranking in the Ease of Settling In Index probably has a lot to do with its culture and language. As an English-speaking country with a European heritage, Australia is both culturally and linguistically accessible to a lot of people from traditional expat sender countries.
  • Two-thirds of participants (62%) find it easy to get used to the local culture, which is much higher than the global average of 41%.
  • Over one-third of expats in Australia (37%) have English as their mother tongue. So, while only a quarter of expatriates around the world (26%) find it easy to learn the local language, three-quarters (74%) find it easy to do so in Australia.
  • Two- thirds of respondents (65%) agree that life in Australia would be difficult without speaking the local tongue.
  • Work versus Life Only about two in five expats in Australia (38%) are happy with their job security and not even half of them (44%) are satisfied or completely satisfied with their jobs. These figures are exceeded slightly by the global averages of 45% and 47%, respectively.
  • However, almost eight in ten of survey participants (78%) are happy with their work-life balance, a much higher percentage than the global average (63%).
  • Similarly, 60% like their working hours, compared to 49% of their expat colleagues around the world. Those lucky expats in Australia only work on average 36 hours per week, as compared to the global 41 hours.
  • Expats with Children Australia’s family life, ranked 19th out of 34, is hampered only by the cost and availability of childcare and education.
  • Three in five of respondents (60%) disagree with the statement “childcare is easily affordable”, compared to a global average of about one- third (35%).
  • Furthermore, just under half (46%) disagree that “childcare options are numerous and available”. On a global scale, only about one- third of respondents (31%) say the same.
  • About three in five respondents (59%) are, however, happy with Australia’s quality of education, compared to 46% globally.
  • Similarly, four out of five are satisfied or completely satisfied with their children’s well-being in Australia (83%) and consider their kids’ health and safety to be well protected (77%). These figures contrast strongly with the global averages of 69% and 59%, respectively.
  • Money Matters in Australia A beautiful life in Australia is, however, a commodity for which one must pay. Almost one in four expats in Australia (23%) are dissatisfied to some extent with their financial situation. Further, Australia ranks 52nd out of 61 countries on the Cost of Living Index, with over half of the survey participants (53%) rating the cost of living in Australia negatively.

I think you are engaging in semantics trying to differentiate between 'expats' and 'migrants'. Besides, people DO tend to come to Australia to migrate, whereas in The Middle East, China, etc, it's more likely that they come to work on highly paid contracts with no desire to actually 'live' in the country. I know expats who have spent their whole working lives in The Middle East, but they are definitely not 'migrants.'

And, as far as Australia is concerned, 'expat' is often both an interchangeable term for 'migrant' and a stepping stone on the way to 'becoming' an 'Aussie.' I don't mind if people call me a Pommie expat, or for that matter, an Aussie expat when I was living back in the UK for twelve years. I suppose, strictly speaking, I WAS an Aussie expat then because I always intended to come back to Australia, hence HMRC accepting that I was 'domiciled' in Australia. But in every way I was no different to anybody else 'living' there. I worked, payed taxed, voted in elections.

I noticed one line in the OP's post which I have copied to here:

Australia is top for British expats

87% of British expats in Australia intend to remain there for the long haul.

Simply not comparable migrants to OZ to those going to UAE, mostly tax free in order to save money with little intention of remaining. Likewise for Korea and China etc. Australia, Canada are migrant receiving countries where new lives are sought, generally with the intention or hope to remain. Completely different.

Simply not comparable migrants to OZ to those going to UAE, mostly tax free in order to save money with little intention of remaining. Likewise for Korea and China etc. Australia, Canada are migrant receiving countries where new lives are sought, generally with the intention or hope to remain. Completely different.

Whichever way you look at it, Australia comes out on top, (which you hate!) In any case, 'expat' and 'migrant' are often interchangeable words. I imagine that there are many expats who go to a foreign country with no intention of settling there, but they still spend their working lives there, and grow to like it, even if they eventually return to their homeland.

And whether expat, migrant, guest worker, or fifo, they all face the same challenges.

I have one niece and her boyfriend in China at the moment and one and her husband and family in Qatar. They are all teachers.

We have just got a long e-mail from the one in China as they had been on a sightseeing trip before they settle in to the routine of teaching. They went to see the terracota warriors and the Great Wall and travelled around China to some major cities.

She is a good writer and sent an entertaining e-mail. Got the jist that everywhere they went it was packed, they are struggling to cope with the sheer number of people. When they went to the terracota warriors she wrote that it seemed the whole of China had turned up on the same day and they got caught up in a crowd and just got pushed through without any chance to stop and look. Same when the went to the Great Wall but they had learned a bit of a lesson by this time and ran in front of the tour party to get a bit of clear time.

They had booked their hotels through expedia well in advance but got to one place and the management said they'd cancelled their room They had paperwork to show that they hadn't and tried to explain it to the staff. The staff refused to speak to them and walked away. She rang someone at expedia who tried to speak to the hotel staff and they hung up on her too. Luckily expedia fixed them up with somewhere else.

The Niece in Qatar and her family are having a real struggle settling in. They were taken to a two bedroom unit (they have 3 kids) when they first got there that was dirty and the toilet didn't work. They refused to stay there and were moved to another better two bed unit which they are still in until a 3 bed becomes available. That was after being promised a 3 bed when they got the jobs. It's hardly been below 40 degrees since they got there and the only place they can go with the kids is massive shopping centres that have good aircon and rides and stuff to keep the kids happy.

Mexico likely a great country to be an expat living of company expenses. We are not talking scaffolders out of Bradford.

It looks pretty crap any way you look at it. There has to be something wrong with the chart. It gets 0 for safety, 0 for housing, 0 for accessibility to services. Even a scaffolder from Bradford would be crazy to move there. Besides he would be able to get in here, crying out for scaffolders.:wink:

It looks pretty crap any way you look at it. There has to be something wrong with the chart. It gets 0 for safety, 0 for housing, 0 for accessibility to services. Even a scaffolder from Bradford would be crazy to move there. Besides he would be able to get in here, crying out for scaffolders.:wink:

But then he'd likely be a migrant and not an ex pat. How long the need will be is open to supposition.