Give me a sales pitch for Melbourne.......

Guest mandisfam

Guest mandisfam

Hi all, Melbourne is number 3 on our top 3 places we wish to land in when we eventually make it oz.

I lived there for 6 mths back in 2001, as a singleton with not a care in the world.

Now Im married with a 3 and 5 yr old.

We have to consider Melbourne, due to my oh working in IT and there is plenty of jobs for him in Melbourne but....I can't drum up any enthusiasum to move there......

So for all of you with families living within commuting distance to the CBD, please sell me melbourne, tell me everything.......

Thanks

mandisfam

We are currently renting in Mornington. We live 5 minutes walk from the beach and have made the most of this in the time we have been here we have made the most of that. I work in Frankston and my OH is based in Cranbourne. During the summer months we would head down to the beach once I got home from work and spend an hour or so there. We spent many Sunday afternoons enjoying the sea as well. OH has now taken to fishing when he finishes work, just sitting down on the jetty in Mornington and he even bought home a few squid for my tea yesterday!

We are about an hour and 15 mins from the CBD but that is a good run - it can take a fair bit longer than that during peak time. Saying that, trains run from Frankston and the journey is an hour.

We love what living on the peninsula has to offer, there really is something for everyone. The Mornington side of the peninsula has some great family friendly beaches, the other side of the peninsula has great surf beaches and there are some good parks all the way down.

The weather has been great as well - a little more rain wouldn't go amiss! Summer was hot, very hot on some days when we reached high 30s / early 40s. We're now enjoying days where the top is mid 20s but it is getting quite cold at night, the sun sets about 5.45 and it cools down very quickly.

Hope this helps a little, sorry I can't help more with working in the CBD and commuting but neither of us needed to work in the city.

Felicity:wubclub:

Guest billbill124
Hi all, Melbourne is number 3 on our top 3 places we wish to land in when we eventually make it oz.

I lived there for 6 mths back in 2001, as a singleton with not a care in the world.

We have to consider Melbourne, due to my oh working in IT and there is plenty of jobs for him in Melbourne but....I can't drum up any enthusiasum to move there......

So for all of you with families living within commuting distance to the CBD, please sell me melbourne, tell me everything.......

Thanks

mandisfam

Hi I'm Melbourne born & from English stock. I've travelled widely, & settled back here because like many others, saw that Melbourne is a great city in a great State in a great country. You have been here and know what a big city it is. The Broughtons are right too, the Mornington Peninsula has a fantastic future - I was down there today - and anyone who wants to work, will make it in the end, but you know that. Ask yourself, where would you want your children to grow up in? The IT industry is booming and Indian families are flocking in to work here as well, usually starting around the inner city so they can get a second degree. You don't have that "handicap" so have a go, you can always keep in touch with your family and friends back in the UK over the internet. Ask yourself, what do you think the population will be in 40 years time, 80 years time, etc. Yes that's right, it should double every 80 years at least, and still have massive wide open places with lots of freedom. What price can you put on that? I'm certainly glad my father migrated here & kept at it. Our families still keep in touch with cousins in the UK almost 90 years after his migration. Homesickness won't be as bad now - you have a family - so give it a go, for your children's sake if not your own. The schools here are free, and thousands of chinese children are coming here to Melbourne because the schools are so good. I could go on. Good luck.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks

mandisfam

hi Melbourne should be number 1 on your list and i'll tell you why!!!!!

1/ Melbourne is cheeper than sydney for house prices and cost of living but has most things bigger and better?!

2/ Melbourne started out with a big gold rush and as a result things were laid out and planned, so today you can make your way around and find things without pulling out your hair!?

3/ sport if it happens in Australia it happens in Melbourne!? Australian open, Grand prix bikes and f1 dont forget its the home of aussie rules. (has the best soccer teams in oz)

4/ the food

5/ The weather! now people may laugh at this as Melbourne is renowned for its weather (4 seasons in one day) but the way i see it this keeps everyone happy?! but it is a drier heat the further north you get the more humid it gets the less you want to do!?

6/Transport 1 ticket gets you on any tram, train or bus no matter what transport company.

7/you can live where you want (in reason) as all train lines head to the city.

Im sure if i thought a bit harder i could give you 101 reasons on why you sould move to Melbourne as i have pure love for the place,

Sydney has the bridge, N.T has the rock, S.A the wine, QLD the parks, Tassie the views W.A who knows why people go there???????? (sorry) all great places to visit and all have more to see, but they dont have something that Victoria has. and that is a heart, soul and beat to life

hope this helps

Geoffrey

Guest Mel.R
hi Melbourne should be number 1 on your list and i'll tell you why!!!!!

1/ Melbourne is cheeper than sydney for house prices and cost of living but has most things bigger and better?!

2/ Melbourne started out with a big gold rush and as a result things were laid out and planned, so today you can make your way around and find things without pulling out your hair!?

3/ sport if it happens in Australia it happens in Melbourne!? Australian open, Grand prix bikes and f1 dont forget its the home of aussie rules. (has the best soccer teams in oz)

4/ the food

5/ The weather! now people may laugh at this as Melbourne is renowned for its weather (4 seasons in one day) but the way i see it this keeps everyone happy?! but it is a drier heat the further north you get the more humid it gets the less you want to do!?

6/Transport 1 ticket gets you on any tram, train or bus no matter what transport company.

7/you can live where you want (in reason) as all train lines head to the city.

Im sure if i thought a bit harder i could give you 101 reasons on why you sould move to Melbourne as i have pure love for the place,

Sydney has the bridge, N.T has the rock, S.A the wine, QLD the parks, Tassie the views W.A who knows why people go there???????? (sorry) all great places to visit and all have more to see, but they dont have something that Victoria has. and that is a heart, soul and beat to life

hope this helps

Geoffrey

Fab post - Fab thread. We are thinking of heading Melbourne way (Mornington) but I still keep having nagging doubts, and keep looking at NSW too as that was originally our first choice. But there seem to be more opportunities for my o/h in Melbourne as he is a brickie, and we have friends that are also heading Melbourne way. I can feel those nagging doubts ebbing away!!!!

Thanks

stay away from sydney what a dive just ask any body that loves Melbourne (its the same as London or Manchester the rivalry) it goes back to when Melbourne was the Capital of Australia and Sydney wanted the title thats why the A.C.T (Australias capital Territory) was formed it was meant to be in the middle of the two states???? just a bit of fun Go Victoria

Guest THE JONEZYS
Fab post - Fab thread. We are thinking of heading Melbourne way (Mornington) but I still keep having nagging doubts, and keep looking at NSW too as that was originally our first choice. But there seem to be more opportunities for my o/h in Melbourne as he is a brickie, and we have friends that are also heading Melbourne way. I can feel those nagging doubts ebbing away!!!!

Thanks

We are in Melbourne......Mornington/Mt Martha and my oh is a brickie. We came on a skilled independant visa so could have gone anywhere but after travelling all around Aus....NSW, SA, WA & Queensland we decided Melbourne was the place for us and have never regreted that decision!

If you have any questions pm me.

Lesley

We too are considering Melbourne, there are so many different areas though. Its very confusing to find somewhere for all of us to love:arghh:Does anyone know what the basic salary of an I.T. Database Analyst (cant spell sorry) is?:biglaugh:

Guest Mel.R
We are in Melbourne......Mornington/Mt Martha and my oh is a brickie. We came on a skilled independant visa so could have gone anywhere but after travelling all around Aus....NSW, SA, WA & Queensland we decided Melbourne was the place for us and have never regreted that decision!

If you have any questions pm me.

Lesley

Hi Lesley

Have pm'd you.

Many thanks

Mel

Guest builda

Melbourne is a special place - lots of parks and gardens and the pace is much slower than Sydney.

We have fantastic surf beaches within an hour of the city and the beaches of Port Phillip Bay are simply sensational and very, very safe! The beach starts at the city and travels virtually uninterrupted for about a 2 hour drive to Portsea. Because it is a bay, the fishing is great and even land lubbers can enjoy a day on the boat without losing yesterdays dinner!

Melbourne ranks very high as one of the worlds most liveable cities (see link below) and that is why we love it here. The air is fresh, the politics dynamic - there is simply something for everyone.

Melbourne 'world's top city' - National - www.theage.com.au

We have fantastic surf beaches within an hour of the city and the beaches of Port Phillip Bay are simply sensational and very, very safe

I think Harrold Holt would disagree!!! lol (prime minister of Australia who went for a swim and never came back!!!)

Guest builda

Since he is not here to disagree with me, I will clarify for all the now terrified future aussies who are now looking to live in Alice Springs, or as far away from the beach as possible!

Harold Holt swam at an isolated and unpatrolled back beach at Portsea - insane at the best of times - those beaches are awesome to look at and walk along but simply not safe for swimming.

If he had have got his chaufeur to drive 10minutes to the very, very safe bay beach at Portsea or Sorrento then the course of Australias political history would have been altered completely.

Since he is not here to disagree with me, I will clarify for all the now terrified future aussies who are now looking to live in Alice Springs, or as far away from the beach as possible!

Harold Holt swam at an isolated and unpatrolled back beach at Portsea - insane at the best of times - those beaches are awesome to look at and walk along but simply not safe for swimming.

If he had have got his chaufeur to drive 10minutes to the very, very safe bay beach at Portsea or Sorrento then the course of Australias political history would have been altered completely.

Alice is no good to many spiders and snakes, and the crocs are not to far away? rather be in Melbourne just need to swim between the flags!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest junan70

Just gonna throw my penneth's in.

I went on a round the world trip last year. After travelling from Sth America, I flew to Cairns and then bussed it down to Brissy and then flew to Melbourne 'for a bit' ...before heading off to Adelaide, Uluru, Perth etc.

Only I didn't quite make it. I got into Melbourne and stayed there!! Didn't budge for 5 weeks, just loved the place.

Sydney harbour has the 'wow' and Melbourne has the 'Mmmmmmm....lovely, this'll do me'.

I'm now planning/hoping to go to uni in Aus and I admit that I've just been on a bit of a reccie to Perth (got family there) and Sydney (loved it when travelling) and didn't even bother with Melbourne because the weather can be iffy...BUT the more I thought about it, the more research I did, I've come back to the idea of Melbourne after all.

Suburbs are nicer than Sydney (at least in my budget) trams are great, trains are great, coffee is great, parks are superb and plentiful, scenery is fantastic, food brilliant, supermarkets are....well crap frankly but then that's Aus for ya!

There's more than enough there to keep me happy and if after a couple of years I fancy moving on, then so be it. Something tells me that I won't be tho!

Guest Brickie
and the crocs are not to far away?

Yeah only about 2000 miles away...got to be careful of them crocs as they can run like buggery.....:goofy:

Archived