big dilema

carlassantos

hi all :)

Im hopping to get some hawsers as not sure what to do.My husband works for Veolia in uk and was asked if would like to go to Australia.The company takes care of everything visas paper work etc.We would love to,to be honest but it just scares me,how am i gonna do it? Can anyone help?

We have four kids the older one is 14 then a boy with 5 and twins with 4 .

They help him with paper work, i need to get a place for us when we get there can I rent from Uk,is it expensive?what about schools for the children? I am a healthcare assistant working for BUPA is it easy to find the same tipe of job ? Is it worth it? moving there?living there?

Thank you all in advance :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Hi There,

Sounds exciting! Think things through logically and research.

You didn't mention where you will be living in Aus. I can't speak for other states, but here in Victoria you have to actually be present and view a property before you can apply for rental, but, there may be agents able to do that for you, a workaround if you like. Others will be able to give more clear advice.

Regarding your own employment, BUPA are here, if fact I use them myself for my own health insurance. It may be worth approaching them for a transfer out here too :-)

best of luck

Matt

Do you know which visa you are going on? 457? I would read up on the pro and cons of this visa before going, main one being if you lose of leave your job you have 90 days to find a new sponsor or leave to country. Also as a temp resident you are not entitled to any child benifits.

where is Australia are you going to be based, some states charge $5000 per child for school fees for 457 visa holders.

Have you ever been to Australia before? Is the company offering a relocation package.

Emigrating with kids over 11 is HELL as they are adolescents and need their stability and friends. Australian secondary schools study very different topics in History Geography English Languages and Science to the UK. Teenagers find settling into schools very very very difficult even harder than their parents and spend their feee time trying to keep contact on FaceBook with friends in UK.

If you REALLY want to move then come. But make sure you really want to. Its not a holiday. Australia is now much more expensive than say ten years ago. There are lots of hidden costs in education, medicine, and just 'living' that eat into savings.

If the company is giving real solid financial support and the kids are happy to move, then do it.

well to be honest i don't know much about it yet.he was just asked if he would consider it.there is two of his colleagues that already moved there in the past.I have made the post just to have opinions and idea about it as I don't know much how it works there i just thought better place would be something like this as many people here also relocate .No i am not British i am Portuguese, have been in UK for 10 years so far it doesn't scare me going to another country.My 14 year old is quite happy to move to Australia. I have searched the schools about 457 visa it says $4.000 per family they charge for the first child.All that matters is the quality of life that we can provide for the children ,doing the best we can for a better future.

well to be honest i don't know much about it yet.he was just asked if he would consider it.there is two of his colleagues that already moved there in the past.I have made the post just to have opinions and idea about it as I don't know much how it works there i just thought better place would be something like this as many people here also relocate .No i am not British i am Portuguese, have been in UK for 10 years so far it doesn't scare me going to another country.My 14 year old is quite happy to move to Australia. I have searched the schools about 457 visa it says $4.000 per family they charge for the first child.All that matters is the quality of life that we can provide for the children ,doing the best we can for a better future.

Each state is different but it is per child - NSW currently $5000 per child. http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/media/downloads/gotoschool/intnl_students/osstudntfees-2014-2015.pdf

As a mum with 3 children I would only move over if the employer was offering a permanent visa, which they can do.

What state and location are you looking at? There is a huge difference in cost of living between areas and the quality of life you will experience. I would also consider the salary, no doubt when you convert the salary offered it will look amazing but don't forget you are likely to be paying 2-3 times more for things like rent etc. Is the salary they are offering at least 2.2 more than he is on in the UK?

Have you looked at mortgage calculators to look at affordability to buy houses? Also stamp duty which in some states is high.

Are you considering public or private schools? If public can you afford the housing in the catchment area for the better schools?

There are nursing assistants in QLD but I don't see the jobs coming up too often and I was told by a recruiter for QLD health that they expect their employee's to have done a course in order to go on it. Experience may make up for that though. A lot of families in Oz need two incomes coming in as costs are so expensive, however we don't know your partners earning potential.

In my opinion when I consider me and my husband working in Australia Vs me and my husband working in the UK, I do believe we will have more expendable income in Australia but we aren't looking for huge houses or large holidays initially.

There are nursing assistants in QLD but I don't see the jobs coming up too often and I was told by a recruiter for QLD health that they expect their employee's to have done a course in order to go on it. Experience may make up for that though. A lot of families in Oz need two incomes coming in as costs are so expensive, however we don't know your partners earning potential.

Yes Jac you are spot on.

Just about every type of job experience in Oz needs hard certification as back up. In UK you can often get work on the basis of saying "yes Ive done that and here's a reference from my previous boss". Not here. Training and certification is big.

True you could probably get some types of work in companies that aren't so fussy, but they will also be the ones that kick you out as soon as business gets tight. Ive heard some horrible stories from Brits on 457s with unscrupulous bosses asking the world of them, then when they say 'thats illegal' the Brits get threatened and fired.

ask for a Permanent Visa or think twice about emigrating.

finding work is very tight here compared to say ten years ago.

Im hopping to get some hawsers as not sure what to do.My husband works for Veolia in uk and was asked if would like to go to Australia.The company takes care of everything visas paper work etc.We would love to,to be honest but it just scares me,how am i gonna do it? Can anyone help?

We have four kids the older one is 14 then a boy with 5 and twins with 4 .

They help him with paper work, i need to get a place for us when we get there can I rent from Uk,is it expensive?what about schools for the children? I am a healthcare assistant working for BUPA is it easy to find the same tipe of job ? Is it worth it? moving there?living there?

Thank you all in advance :arghh::arghh::arghh:

In all honesty, if moving has never crossed your mind before and only the 457 is available, I am not sure I would bother bringing a family of four kids over. It is not a better life for kids, it is another first world country and as this is a temporary visa, this could be very disruptive for the 14 year old in particular.

In all honesty, if moving has never crossed your mind before and only the 457 is available, I am not sure I would bother bringing a family of four kids over. It is not a better life for kids, it is another first world country and as this is a temporary visa, this could be very disruptive for the 14 year old in particular.

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

OP have you had any thoughts? Do you have any extra questions. The negativity from us all isn't us saying don't go to Australia, its just advice on what you need to know and how to do it and make it work if its something you want.

I am excited to emigrate, but I am doing it the long slow way just to ensure we get there and can enjoy our lives. I even retrained as I wanted a more stable job!

I love Australia, it is my country, and I think there is no better place to bring up a family.

Having said that, I would caution you to be very careful about what you choose to do. You have a whole lot of changes to prepare for, lives to re-arrange - on an emotional, physical, social level. It sounds like (but I know you did not mean that) you have taken this much the same as an offer to move to another town in the UK. You know very well that this needs to be carefully considered as a family. I think that people who immigrate into Australia do best if they have a clear idea of just what it is they want. Does one seek short or long term stay, or aim for permanency. Is this a career move, possibly temporary, but certainly moving ahead. Is this a journey for financial reward, this being a stop on that journey, and taking into account possibly long-term unacceptable hard work with little free time to recompense. Should the children come along, or think about boarding school at least in the short term. What are the real costs involved, and who will pick up the costs of visas. Will the company be responsible for rental accommodation, at least for a time? If this is for the benefit of the company, are you being asked to do the "heavy lifting", and if so, why should you?

Many a topic of conversation, preferably with just a little wine to keep the head clear but the juices flowing. Involve the children too. Make it an adventure, but one on your terms.

For us to help, we need to know where in Australia you'll move to. Sydney is like London - you'll need two very good salaries to live in the nice areas, otherwise you'll be out in the sticks with a long commute. Elsewhere, the price of housing varies a great deal from state to state.

Unless Veolia is going to pay all your relocation costs there AND back, I wouldn't even consider a temporary visa. Moving such a long distance is extremely expensive, especially with children - several thousand pounds just for your airfares, then several thousand more to relocate all your belongings. Not to mention the cost of setting yourself up in Australia ($30,000 just to buy a new car).

As you already know, moving countries can be pretty stressful. You won't be able to arrange accommodation, or a job for yourself, before you arrive, so your first few weeks or months will be difficult (unless Veolia is going to meet the cost of temporary accommodation, of course).

Personally i wouldn't consider it unless it was a permanent visa and the company is paying all costs involved with the move. Also i wouldn't say it's a better life for children it's different not necessarily better.

Archived