Monthly Expenses - Excel Spreadsheet shared

douglashv

Hi guys,

I made an Excel spreadsheet that I'd like to share with you. I would appreciate your comments on the costs that I estimated based on the information below however, my intentions are to share this so everybody can adjust it to their own situation.

* I started this spreadsheet with one that was here, I can't find the link now.

* This cost of living was estimated for a couple without children living in Melbourne with a PR visa.

* We will arrive at Melbourne in March/2015 without jobs, I hope I can find something full-time and my wife anything part-time. I tried to estimate a low salary just to prepare for the worst, and hoping to get anything around month 8 after we arrive.

* We are trying to live with moderation, specially while we are living only by our savings.

* We hope to bring at least 30000 USD, but you can adjust this. With some luck we can arrive with 40K.

* There are some subjects with an estimation of zero, like car registration and EA membership.

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/roypnnfwvjyz4eb/Expenses%20%28Shared%20PIO%29.xls?dl=0

I also attached it to this post.

Enjoy!

Screenshots:

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

P.S.: There might be some Spanish words even tough we tried to translate everything into English.

Expenses (Shared PIO).xls

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

Expenses (Shared PIO).xls

Edited by douglashv

Dude,

That is some serious prep!

Some observations;

Rent – I would budget around 1,800 a month for something OK.

Date night – Triple your initial figure (it is about AUD$10 a beer here ay, AUD$8 a wine too)

Phones – Double that

Salary – Mate, you are selling yourself short there. Expect at least 40k

Groceries – Add more for beers / wine. A six pack is AUD$20 here mate!!!!!

Hi,

I think for shared accommodation most of your calculations are okay. Rent, gas and electricity would be much higher in case of a normal apartment. The salaries you put there are very low (are these even above the national minimal wage?). What do you consider as "medical"? If your salary is very low, I think you are exempt from medicare levy. For groceries I would double that and if you like nice food and don't like Aldi, even triple it...

108$ for "data night" would mean you only get one per month with drinks, or two if you don't buy drinks or go to byo restaurants.

Thank you for your comments surfndirt!

I dont think we could afford to pay 1800/month on rent. We will be looking to a shared accommodation to start. I know I was a little harsh with the salary, just expecting the worst. I will budget groceries around 100$/week.

I still think you are way shy on the groceries there mate, especially as you don't appear to have anything in for eating out/take away meals. To me groceries besides all the food stuff also includes other household necessities, tooth paste, washing powder, toilet rolls (the girls do tend to like them!) and the like.

good luck with everything anyhow. Keith

Just for comparison I pay per fortnight $90 electric, dont have gas and never had to pay water, $75 internet/land line/ tv, $25 rego, fuel and rent subjective but for the record $1090 rent, $80 fuel, $200 groceries , $80 takeout (2 per firtnight)

monthly $30 house insurance, a night out with my son little change from $100 for a decent meal and couple of drinks, $20 mobile sim plan from amaysim.

hope that gives a little insight too

• 2 months later...

As a Chemical Engineer, a graduate salary should be at least $60K, if not much higher depending on what industry you are in. I qualify as a Chemical Engineer but I'm actually a Reservoir Engineer in the oil and gas industry - if you are in oil and gas you can add 50% to that figure, as a graduate!

I am guessing you are not at graduate level and you have much more experience.

Be be careful you don't undersell yourself in a major way!

Probably a stoopid question but what is "Rego"? :wacko:

Car Registration

As a Chemical Engineer, a graduate salary should be at least $60K, if not much higher depending on what industry you are in. I qualify as a Chemical Engineer but I'm actually a Reservoir Engineer in the oil and gas industry - if you are in oil and gas you can add 50% to that figure, as a graduate!

I am guessing you are not at graduate level and you have much more experience.

Be be careful you don't undersell yourself in a major way!

Thank you for your input... Several people have told me that the minimum salary for an Engineer should be close to 60K... Honestly I am aiming at 60K-80K, but due that English is my second language and a lack of local experience I will get anything below those figures just to start.

DH.-