Can I start a uni course in UK and finish in OZ?

Guest MikeandAmy

Guest MikeandAmy

Hi everyone,

I have been accepted to do an Adult Nursing Degree at UWE this Sept, but I'm unsure of whether to accept my place as we are looking at going over to Oz.

We have been looking at courses in Oz and trying to decide which would be best to do, but this idea just came to me.

If I was to do the entire course here (free and with a £6000 a year bursary...very tempting) I would then have to wait at least 6 more years before emmigrating to finish the course, get experience etc.

I was hoping I would be able to start the course here (OH and I need to live together for 12 months anyway before going over as a defacto couple) and then go over and finish it off. It would be cheaper than doing the entire course over there.

I only have two weeks before I have to let UWE know if I want to do the course or not so I really need some ideas soon lol.:yes:

Any info guys would be appreciated

Amy

Guest JohnandTracy
Hi everyone,

I have been accepted to do an Adult Nursing Degree at UWE this Sept, but I'm unsure of whether to accept my place as we are looking at going over to Oz.

We have been looking at courses in Oz and trying to decide which would be best to do, but this idea just came to me.

If I was to do the entire course here (free and with a £6000 a year bursary...very tempting) I would then have to wait at least 6 more years before emmigrating to finish the course, get experience etc.

I was hoping I would be able to start the course here (OH and I need to live together for 12 months anyway before going over as a defacto couple) and then go over and finish it off. It would be cheaper than doing the entire course over there.

I only have two weeks before I have to let UWE know if I want to do the course or not so I really need some ideas soon lol.:yes:

Any info guys would be appreciated

Amy

Hi Amy

I'm starting my Degree in Adult Nursing in Sept as well with Nottingham Uni.

We are also thinking of going to Oz, but not until 3.5 years time when I'm qualified and my hubby has retired from his current job (he retires at 40!).

I have been researching this for ages and have found that you will get a visa so much easier if you are already qualified as Oz is screaming out for nurses.

We went to the London Expo last weekend and I talked to a couple of people on Nursing Stands and they said that taking a newly qualified nurse is no problem as they run graduation programms for newly qualified nurses - these are the same as our perceptorships that we have to do the first year after training. Cost if free and you get a a better wage than in the UK!

Personally if it was me (and I'm doing it this way) is do the training over here, save up in the mean time (I know the bursary is only a small amount but hey it's better than nothing) and do lots of research as well as have a trip out there whilst on your hols from Uni (and don't take any assignments!!!). I'm doing it this way as it's the best way for us with a more secure chance of getting a visa and a job as well as having time to save up as much money to take with us.

I'm also finding it an incentive to do well and I'm sure the next 3 years will fly by very quickly.

HTH as this is only my uptake on it.

All the best

Tracy

Hi There , I have a place for a BA In social work commencing Sept and in much the same predicament. My hubby has been offered a really good job in oz , but if i go over i'll be looking at unskilled work. So the option we were looking at was , hubby and kids going over and me visiting in the hols as much as poss. It doesn't concerm me about work experience as long as i have my degree , graduates can always find work.

I looked into studying in Oz and , i'd have to start the whole process again of gaining entry ( as i have alternate entry requirements , only applicable in the UK ) AND the fees are $12,000 a year , so really pricey!

I would be tempted to do your degree in UK then do the newly qualified course in Oz. It's in the bag then and three years is no time . I did a year in MIdwifery prior to social work , and you don't get time to think so you'll be in oz with a degree in no time.

I am gutted i'll be an over shores mum , not sure i can cope with that, but i want the kids to settle , they are already age 12 , 11 and 8 so three years will be too long.

Good Luck!:arghh:

Guest MikeandAmy

Hi both, thanks for your replies :)

I read them before going to work last night, with the view of searching for these graduation programmes when i got home.

However, whilst I was at work the head chef came to me and offered me a job in the kitchen as a chef - saying I could do my NVQ level 3 (equivalent to AQF Diploma) and go over like that!

This sounds too good to be true, I'm thinking, so we shall see where this leads but it could be the start of something beautiful lol!

Again, thank you for your replies, I did find them useful!

Amy x

Any study and work experience can be recognised for credit via Recognition of Prior Learning RPL, for both Vocational (VET/TAFE) and University. The Australian qualifications framework is like Lego building blocks. Another economy measure could be looking at Australian open university. Cheers Andrew

Guest grayda

Hi Amy

the chef you spoke does not know what hes talking about

you need your qualifactions as a chef THEN 3 years at least

post qualifactions the ozzies are not stupid any muppet can say they are

a chef

stick to what your doing dont go into cheffing for a visa

its not going to work

unless your passionate about food

D

Guest angel659

I agree. I think someone said you needed a diploma and 3-5 years post study. 600 hours study and 600 hours working experience I think.

Anyway I am starting my uni in September. I am doing the diploma which is a three year course. Already have a contact and will find some more that will offer me a postgraduate nurse employment. My husband is also training as a Accountant. I want to double our chances of getting a visa. I have been a Aux Nurse for 3 years. I know what I am getting into. I have friends who work in Brisbane and Melbourne. Love nursing in Australia. Said its much better than the uk. They are crying out for nurses. I would take the most sensible option and train here and move out there in 3 years a post grad.

Good luck.

may not help but, i looked at transferring my credits to get my BA before i went, only the uni i reg for and had done the work have not even written the course yet so 60 credits will not even be validated in time bofore i leave (Incredable i know)so asked the OU could i transfer and study in OZ, they said yes but at overseas student rates and you may have to pay for the hire of a place to sit an assessment. additonal cost to whay you would pay here. Thinking it is worth it as only need extra 60 credits for BA.

Did not know about the OZ OU? try online, if you get two years Dip level easier to get third year by APEL credits over.

Hopes helps a little sharon xx

Guest JohnandTracy
I agree. I think someone said you needed a diploma and 3-5 years post study. 600 hours study and 600 hours working experience I think.

Anyway I am starting my uni in September. I am doing the diploma which is a three year course. Already have a contact and will find some more that will offer me a postgraduate nurse employment. My husband is also training as a Accountant. I want to double our chances of getting a visa. I have been a Aux Nurse for 3 years. I know what I am getting into. I have friends who work in Brisbane and Melbourne. Love nursing in Australia. Said its much better than the uk. They are crying out for nurses. I would take the most sensible option and train here and move out there in 3 years a post grad.

Good luck.

Hi

I went to the Australian Expo earlier this month in London and spoke with a couple of people on the Health stands.

Finding the postgrad place will be pretty easy (for those who aren't sure it's a graduation programme similar to that of the years consolidation you do after completing your nursing training). They were lovely and gave me lots of information and basically said that as I will have a BSc in Nursing getting on a grad programme will be no problem at all!

I was a bit worried as I would have only done 6 months work since qualifying in the UK before going out to Oz but they were really keen and have given me their contact details to cotact them prior to my leaving the UK.

I think Oz is in the same position as the UK - crying out for nurses!

If you would the details of the people I spoke to let me know and I'll happily pass them on to you.

Hope this helps and good luck with your training I

Archived