Resident Return Visa

Brown5

Hi do you have to actually be in Australia to apply for a RRV or can this be done whilst living in the Uk ?

Also is there a minimum amount of time that you should have been an Australian resident for this to be granted and does anybody know how long they normally last for if successful ?

Thank you

It can be applied for anywhere. It will either be for three months, one year or five years. A bit more information would be required to make an educated guess on which would be most likely.

Thank you .... I thought you had to be in Australia to apply :-)

Hi do you have to actually be in Australia to apply for a RRV or can this be done whilst living in the Uk ?

Also is there a minimum amount of time that you should have been an Australian resident for this to be granted and does anybody know how long they normally last for if successful ?

Thank you

I've never been resident,was granted a one yr one because house wouldn't sell,and legal and financial problems my ex partner left me over my property,but "mainly" because i had an open job offer,i applied from UK

what is this visa?

Dont take what i say as 100% Stevie because i'm no expert,but as far as i know,if you live in Aus but dont have citizenship,and want to travel abroad,you need one to get back into Aus,and you can apply for one if your PR visa is about to run out,and you haven't managed to migrate,thats why i applied

Residents return visa mate

Sorry to jump in here.

So this visa is once you've got PR, have moved to Australia but want to go on holiday/go home and then go back to Australia? I'd seen this visa mentioned a few times but never really gave it any thought!

Sorry to jump in here.

So this visa is once you've got PR, have moved to Australia but want to go on holiday/go home and then go back to Australia? I'd seen this visa mentioned a few times but never really gave it any thought!

As far as i know Jack yes

Sorry to jump in here.

It is for once the five year validity of the original visa expires.

Oh I seeeeeeeeee. So if I got a visa, say in December, move there in April 2015 I wouldn't need to do anything if I wanted to come home for Christmas 2016? I'd only need to do that for the year 2020?? (All hypothetical obviously)

Hi,

We just had our 189 granted on the 14th. Our agent advised that although it is a permanent residency visa, it only lasts for 5 years. Also, we would need to spend 4 of the 5 years in Australia to enable us to apply for citizenship or 2 out of 5 years to be eligible to apply for a resident return visa.. As far as i am aware, there are no restrictions on how many times you travel back and for on your 189 while it is valid.. Hope this helps.. :)

Hi,

We just had our 189 granted on the 14th. Our agent advised that although it is a permanent residency visa, it only lasts for 5 years. Also, we would need to spend 4 of the 5 years in Australia to enable us to apply for citizenship or 2 out of 5 years to be eligible to apply for a resident return visa.. As far as i am aware, there are no restrictions on how many times you travel back and for on your 189 while it is valid.. Hope this helps.. :)

Thank you

A permanent residency visa is just that - permanent. The travel rights on it however, last only 5 years. So if you're granted PR on Sept. 1, 2014 and move to Australia on in July 2015, you can live here for the rest of your life as long as you never leave. If, however, you want to travel overseas in 2022, the travel rights on your PR visa have expired and you need to apply for a RRV in order to re-enter the country. Many people take up citizenship simply to avoid having to continually renew their RRV.

Archived