Contract, sponsor license, 457 visa

457orbust

Hello,

I've been offered an exciting job in Aus, contract is being drawn up as I type and I cannot wait. Problem is, although the employer has sponsored many times previous, their license has expired and is currently being renewed.

Few things on my mind. Obviously Australia is my final destination in my lifelong journey. I'm committing myself and my family to Australia, however I can't help but feel very anxious about the whole situation and I'm hoping you can all help ease my concerns.

1. What are the chances of a contract being cancelled between now and d-day. Is anyone aware of Aus culture with contracts?

2. If the company has sponsored before but their license has expired and needs to be renewed, do you see any cause for concern there? Obviously if that fails the rest fails.

3. Has anyone ever seen a 457 rejected?

As you can see, 3 steps, each with their own failure points.

I have a VERY competent MA who is dealing with both my visa and the employers license, so I have absolute faith in his ability. However I concern myself with DIBP processes.

Am I stressing over nothing, are these things usually plain sailing or should I keep a level head and my feet firmly on terra firma?

Also, say everything went smooth, at what point should I give notice, sell house, pack up etc.

Thank you for your time, and I honestly cannot wait start immersing my family and I into Australian culture and surrounding communities.

Thanks

Let your MA do his job. He'll have the best answers to your questions and concerns.

I wouldn't sell your house on a 457 visa. It's a temporary visa. Are you aware of all that?

Hi, yes, absolutely aware that it's a temporary visa, however I am also aware that there is a route to PR through ENS DE or RSMS. I've had my skills assessed successfully and I'm good on that side.

As for house selling, we were planning on doing this anyway so there isn't a concern about that either.

I'm positive my agent has a good grasp on this all, but it's nice to talk about it outside of that too. I appreciate everyones opinion :)

Cheers

Hi, yes, absolutely aware that it's a temporary visa, however I am also aware that there is a route to PR through ENS DE or RSMS. I've had my skills assessed successfully and I'm good on that side.

As for house selling, we were planning on doing this anyway so there isn't a concern about that either.

I'm positive my agent has a good grasp on this all, but it's nice to talk about it outside of that too. I appreciate everyones opinion :)

Cheers

457 to PR would be through ENS transition stream, after the qualifying time period of 2 years. But if your skills are already "assessed successfully" then why not go straight for PR direct entry? Why bother with 457?

Sadly, that isn't my decision. Also, the 186 visa takes 3-6 months whereas 457 takes round 1-2 months. I would prefer to get there as soon as possible and deal with PR at a later date. Sure it'll be more costly for me but I think the cost is worth it. I also think it's not in my best interest to ask for a PR visa at this stage. I've got the sponsorship, that in itself it a godsend.

Sadly, that isn't my decision. Also, the 186 visa takes 3-6 months whereas 457 takes round 1-2 months. I would prefer to get there as soon as possible and deal with PR at a later date. Sure it'll be more costly for me but I think the cost is worth it. I also think it's not in my best interest to ask for a PR visa at this stage. I've got the sponsorship, that in itself it a godsend.

To your first post, I wouldn't assume anything until you have the visa on hand. And then once you do have it in hand, don't assume you are here for good until you have a PR visa in hand. Like the first poster, I would not be selling a house for a 457 visa. This is temporary and there is no guaranteed route to PR.

To your first post, I wouldn't assume anything until you have the visa on hand. And then once you do have it in hand, don't assume you are here for good until you have a PR visa in hand. Like the first poster, I would not be selling a house for a 457 visa. This is temporary and there is no guaranteed route to PR.

Hi Pumpkin, thank you for the advice, it is very much appreciated, but I was not looking for advice on whether I should sell my house as that is a decision I've made regardless of Aus. I'm just wondering when is the best time to do so in this current situation. :) I always had intention to sell my property before the new year, however I'd like to be ready to move over as soon as visas are granted, but my original concern was how successful these visas generally are, and if I should start preparing at least. You know, fix'er up, put house on the market etc

I'd put your house up for sale now if you were going to do it anyway. It can take a long time.

As for your visa. I would want it written into my contract that they sponsor you for pr after a six month trial. We see so many people not end up being sponsored by the end of the two years for whatever reason. Get it done ASAP so you don't have that worry constantly in the background.

Hi Pumpkin, thank you for the advice, it is very much appreciated, but I was not looking for advice on whether I should sell my house as that is a decision I've made regardless of Aus. I'm just wondering when is the best time to do so in this current situation. :) I always had intention to sell my property before the new year, however I'd like to be ready to move over as soon as visas are granted, but my original concern was how successful these visas generally are, and if I should start preparing at least. You know, fix'er up, put house on the market etc

Well you were the one talking about your visa, not me. If selling the house is a decision you have made anyway, just do it, I don't see what your visa situation has got to do with it.

Well you were the one talking about your visa, not me. If selling the house is a decision you have made anyway, just do it, I don't see what your visa situation has got to do with it.

Apologies, I have a bad habit of not explaining myself very well.

The reason for house and visa in one question is related to timings. Rent is expensive compared to my mortgage repayments. I know my house will easily sell within a month or two. I'm therefore trying to time my actions right to avoid having to find a place to rent. If Aus visa doesn't materialise then we will sell to buy another house. That's why I'm asking. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

In answer to your questions:

1 yes, I gave seen this happen multiple times

2 there are a multitude of reasons why they may not be approved again such as the business has changed since last approval.

3 yes 457's get turned down.

You should not assume you have a visa until you have it in hand. Then you should only assume you are here temporarily while on a 457. There are a lot of things that can change to prevent you ever gaining PR. A classic example has just occurred to a regular member of the Perth forum. His occupation has been removed from the list. That happens a lot. When on a 457 you should always assume you are going home at some point. Maybe in 4 years maybe sooner.

Apologies, I have a bad habit of not explaining myself very well.

The reason for house and visa in one question is related to timings. Rent is expensive compared to my mortgage repayments. I know my house will easily sell within a month or two. I'm therefore trying to time my actions right to avoid having to find a place to rent. If Aus visa doesn't materialise then we will sell to buy another house. That's why I'm asking. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Then I would refer back to my first post, don't assume anything until visa is in hand.

As others have said, don't make irreversible decisions you wouldn't be making otherwise, until the visa is granted. However if you have a MA looking into everything you're probably in good hands. But nothing is guaranteed.

We had a similar situation late last year where our sponsorship had lapsed and we'd identified an overseas candidate. We got the sponsorship renewed early in the recruitment process, so it was granted just in time for the nomination and application to go in and everything lined up nicely. Hopefully yours will go as smoothly. But it's always a good idea to keep an eye on your own future interests, so if you can get the employer to include a commitment to sponsor PR after 2 years (or even earlier if you can go DE), I'd try to do that.

Archived