820 and beyond

Steve2012

Hi all,

I'm currently on an 820 visa and will hopefully be going onto the 801 next year (2015). The DIBP website says that I'll be contacted a few weeks before the two year anniversary of my application to request further information to enable the processing of the 801, however I cannot find out anywhere what information they would request. Is there anyone who can say what info they require at that stage?

Many thanks

When this happened for me, they wanted me to get a police check; fill in a form that was quite long but not as long as the original 820 form; get written statements from my wife and me with evidence of ongoing relationship; two statements from friends/relatives; and copies of various documents like birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce certificates and other things that they should already have had. It was not a small task, but was easier than the previous applications as there was no real pressure; we knew the visa would be granted.

Thanks very much Quinkla.

Out of curiousity, are you aware of any restrictions regarding how long I HAVE to be in Australia for? It's just that we will be travelling a lot for work and we might be out of Australia more than we're in it for the two year period!

Stage 2 is a pain in the neck but it is easier than stage 1. If you have scans of your stage 1 docs it will help as you have to copy most of the same info again. If you are going to be out of the country tell them any dates you know you are going to be out of the country. It took 3 months to finally get PR and they do a lot of security checks apparently.

Thanks very much Quinkla.

Out of curiousity, are you aware of any restrictions regarding how long I HAVE to be in Australia for? It's just that we will be travelling a lot for work and we might be out of Australia more than we're in it for the two year period!

It's not a problem for 820 to 801. It could be an issue for subsequent citizenship applications. Plus, the 801 has only five years' validity for travel and after that, you would need a Resident Return Visa. These are dependent on having lived in Australia. Broadly, if you live in Australia but travel a lot, you will be OK. But if you end up living abroad when your 801 or RRV expires, you can find it harder to get a new RRV.

Archived