Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags '801 visa'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Visitor Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 4 results

  1. Hi all, I came to Australia a year ago to marry my boyfriend. We got married in June 2016 and filed for the partner visa the month after. We've been together since 2012 and have known each other since 2006. I'm American but came from an overseas location as I was working in Asia when we got engaged (during a holiday together) I spent Uni studying foreign languages and teaching, and an opportunity has come up for me to teach overseas again. Which I would love to do since I don't have the right certifications to teach in Australia (or the money to get the certifications.) I've currently only been able to hold a 6 month job here in Australia as my longest and more temp work, all in customer service which is quite discouraging for an aspiring teacher. I'm currently on my bridging A visa and it states I have to be in Australia when the 820/801 visa is granted, I understand that part. Am I able to work overseas after it is granted? The agent/migration service I spoke to on the phone stated if I needed to leave I could go on a Bridging B visa and just come back after 3 months, apply for another bridging B and go back. As you all may guess, that would add up quickly. They said my Visa decision for the 820/801 can be anytime from now until December. I CAN postpone me leaving for the job but I need to know I can leave on the 820/801 visa (with the possibility of only visiting once a year) As this job position is in a University, I have a possibility of getting tenure and working permanently for this company. At this point, would it be better to go through the visa process or withdraw it and request a refund? (Would the refund even be granted?? 7000 is a lot to lose!) Every time we call we have to be on hold for a few hours and we never get all our questions answered, most answers are left at "I dunno, maybe it's okay" Thanks all
  2. Charlotte Cox

    Perm 801 & an expiring UK passport

    I could not find any info online for this one wondered if anyone would have any further info here.... I am due to be granted my perm partner visa 801 in around April 2015 (after my 2 years on the 820). My UK passport expires in Feb 2016. Is it a requirement when on the 801 that you have a valid passport? I will be applying for my citizenship ASAP as soon as I have been on the perm visa for a year. Which will be a couple of months after my UK passport expires. It seems such a shame to have to go through sending all my docs off to NZ and paying for a new UK passport when I would be eligible for an Oz one so soon after! I know there are benefits to having the 2, but I don't care too much as my partner is an Aussie I have to wait for him in the passport queue anyway Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this sort of thing? Thanks
  3. Steve2012

    820 and beyond

    Hi all, I'm currently on an 820 visa and will hopefully be going onto the 801 next year (2015). The DIBP website says that I'll be contacted a few weeks before the two year anniversary of my application to request further information to enable the processing of the 801, however I cannot find out anywhere what information they would request. Is there anyone who can say what info they require at that stage? Many thanks
  4. I met my girlfriend a year ago on holiday, she's English but an Australian resident as her family immigrated there several years ago. She was living and working in Surrey and I was in London and we started going out in February 2013. We never lived together - mainly as her job was as a 'live-in' nanny, and I was renting a room in a shared house in London. We could not afford our own flat. Around June she left her job but stayed with family up north, although she did stay with me for a while - however as it was a shared house nothing was in our name and we had no joint post, bank account etc. In September she moved back home after being homesick, to Adelaide. I stayed behind to look for work to save more money to go over, and to help my mum with her house after my dad died unexpectedly. I recently visited her in Adelaide, albeit on 'holiday' as opposed to the 3 months originally planned, and am currently working to save some money up for the mammoth visa application fee (just under £3,000?!?! - why is it so much?!). Reading the terms and conditions - it states de facto, which in Australian law is living together. We did not - is it even worth applying? What we DO have is lots of evidence that we have been in a genuine relationship. Unfortunately most of our correspondence was via texts and Facebook, and I don't know how you could use that, but I have also kept several emails from her. We have also travelled twice together to Europe, and she has met my family and friends and I have met hers and I'm sure they could all provide statements about our relationships and the times they met us together etc. She was also with me at my father's funeral and we had the same boss for a few months, an esteemed Professor who could also provide a statement. But would any of this be good enough without having lived together or shared a bank account? Regarding the application process - I lived in Australia on a working visa for a year, would I have to get police checks from both there AND the UK? How would I get one from Australia from here? As for the medical - only private firms seem to be listed on the website, does anyone know if any of this can be done on the NHS? Can I provide prior evidence (for example I recently had blood tests done)? How much does this cost? Do you have to be in Australia to apply for this, and once you do I understand it takes 12-15 months to process at the moment. Is it likely to be less? How/when am I allowed to work after making the application? What if it is refused - can I appeal, and how long do I get to leave? What if I am working if/when it is refused? I have several more questions I currently can't remember. Obviously I want to be with my girlfriend but I am also terrified of my life savings being wiped out on the application and medical alone..