Travel Insurance

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Ok please don't judge, but I'm after a policy like this http://www.insurecancer.com/default.htm for AU residents. Also needs to be one where your dr doesn't have to sign off that you are fit to travel. The medical team keep throwing horror stories at me for medical treatment in the US and the cost involved.

Ive just tried 3 that say they cover pre existing conditions only to complete all the medical assessments and be refused :nah:

Hi, I am 3 and half years on from cancer diagnosis, I love to travel and have taken many holidays since, I decided not to declare cancer on my holiday insurance as the chance of it affecting me or causing any problems was in my opinion negligible, when I priced insurance to America the cost was ridiculous,I decided if I should become unwell or discover another lump it would have been cheaper to change or renew a flight home.

Hi, I am 3 and half years on from cancer diagnosis, I love to travel and have taken many holidays since, I decided not to declare cancer on my holiday insurance as the chance of it affecting me or causing any problems was in my opinion negligible, when I priced insurance to America the cost was ridiculous,I decided if I should become unwell or discover another lump it would have been cheaper to change or renew a flight home.

But this just then negates your travel insurance and you might as well not have bothered getting it at all ...

Well not quite, baggage money etc was all covered,and if I had an accident ie: broke my leg, then that would have had nothing to do with cancer.I got quite a nasty tummy bug in Egypt, had to have medical intervention,no insurance issues. I read many forums on insurance issues on the UK Macmillan site,Do you have an equivalent organisation in Oz, these are our cancer nurses. The general consensus from my reading was that depending on cancer status and destination,not declaring was worth the risk, It really is so unfair that costs leap as soon as people see the C word.

​Sorry to hear you are still fighting, I am having 6 monthly checks and yearly scans, I will be moving to Oz in January, flights booked : ) can I ask you about services in Oz, Do you have an equivalent to our Macmillan nurses,they offer a great service to cancer patients and families in the UK.It was through them I found insures who would insure people with cancer, unfortunately for me, I still found them too expensive, only for America though, Oz and Europe prices were manageable cost wise.

Well not quite, baggage money etc was all covered,and if I had an accident ie: broke my leg, then that would have had nothing to do with cancer.I got quite a nasty tummy bug in Egypt, had to have medical intervention,no insurance issues. I read many forums on insurance issues on the UK Macmillan site,Do you have an equivalent organisation in Oz, these are our cancer nurses. The general consensus from my reading was that depending on cancer status and destination,not declaring was worth the risk, It really is so unfair that costs leap as soon as people see the C word.

Lying on insurance application forms will often give the insurance company grounds to deny a claim. Related or not related, you were fortunate. It is not an approach I would advise.

Hi, I don't want to be misunderstood and advocate lying, I just made a choice and decided to omit the cancer, I obviously would not have made a claim relating to cancer,and decided the cost of a return flight outweighed the extra expensive the insures were going to charge, this was for the American trip. I also took out insurance where I did declare cancer and had to sign a waiver to say that If anything cancer related should happen on a trip I would not be able to claim for it, but the rest of the insurance was standard.

It really is unfair as to how a insurance premium can sky rocket as soon as you put cancer on a form, I made my decision based on my type of cancer and prognosis,I also spoke to many other cancer patients who had the same dilemmas.

Hi, I don't want to be misunderstood and advocate lying, I just made a choice and decided to omit the cancer, I obviously would not have made a claim relating to cancer,and decided the cost of a return flight outweighed the extra expensive the insures were going to charge, this was for the American trip. I also took out insurance where I did declare cancer and had to sign a waiver to say that If anything cancer related should happen on a trip I would not be able to claim for it, but the rest of the insurance was standard.

It really is unfair as to how a insurance premium can sky rocket as soon as you put cancer on a form, I made my decision based on my type of cancer and prognosis,I also spoke to many other cancer patients who had the same dilemmas.

I am certainly not making a point on how fair it is or otherwise. I am simply saying, that if it had been revealed that you had lied on your insurance form then they would probably have denied the claim even if it was a broken leg you suffered. Your second plan, of disclosing the cancer but signing a waiver re cover is much more sensible.

Hi PQ, sorry to hear your having problems, my insurance is included with my credit card, no forms to fill in, but I will check and see if we do have to declare anything. We did claim on this insurance once, had to turn the plane around at Zurich, luckily it was only taxiing out to take off, after emergency surgery, they let us fly on to UK, but wanted then to fly us back to Aus and not let us continue over to the USA and other countries, we asked if we could be covered for everything except anything relating to the problem we had, and they said yes OK.

I would strongly advise having valid insurance for the USA, and as others have said do not try to buck the system. (we fly off next month for a couple of weeks driving around California)

Keith.

Hi Kate try ausure, they are brokers across Australia. They can access cover for all sorts of oddball things so worth a try.

Being a broker, there is commission on all the business they place so won't be the cheapest but they can tap into underwriters that a Google search won't necessarily bring up.

Good luck, I hope you get that cover and holiday. :hug:

Right, I checked my complimentary travel insurance linked to my credit card, and you are not covered for pre-existing medical conditions, but there is no requirement to notify them of any, you only have to notify them if you require cover for any such condition/s and pay a fee should they agree to provide cover.

So from this then you can make informed decisions based on your self risk assessment, I personally would ask the cost of cover and make a call on that, even if you decide against it the rest of the insurance still applies.

Thankfully for my trip to California next month, Earthquakes are covered!

Archived