tax on goods taken into australia when moving

PeterJa

Hi, does anyone know what the tax on goods is when moving to Austalia? I'm getting a lot of misleading information.

We have some things that are years old and are clearly exempt. We've also got new and nearly new (within 12 months) kitchen equipment, and possibly a new mountain bike too.

Everything cost less than AUD1,000 which someone said was the threshold for tax.

Thanks for any help,

PJ

People don't usually pay tax on goods when they move. If you have anything new, take the packaging off and pretend you don't!

I'm hearing stories about people being caught for everything and even having to produce receipts to prove age and value.

I'm particularly worried about the bike as if I buy it, it will be blatantly a 2014 model.

Cheers,

PJ

I'm hearing stories about people being caught for everything and even having to produce receipts to prove age and value.

I'm particularly worried about the bike as if I buy it, it will be blatantly a 2014 model.

Cheers,

PJ

ive not heard of that ever happening myself.

The idea is to stop people bringing in dozens of the same new item for resale.

I would be more worried that they will get you for the mountain bike not being clean enough.

I dont know if customs woukd know models of bikes! As Furkew says its more if stuff is dirty or your bringing lots of one item as if you plan on selling. I know lots who have had to pay for things to be disposed such as christmas ornaments or things cleaned but not because of newness.

Cheers,

PJ

In five years since I started looking into immigration, I have never, ever heard anything like that. Take the bike for a few rides so to is not spanking new. Most people will not even have their container opened, he government is not trying to catch migrants out here.

It only applies if the item is more than $1000 and less than a year old.

I had a bracelet which fitted that when I came in. The guy asked me when I got it. I told him about 10 months before, but that it was second hand. He said that being second hand didn't make a difference, but suggested I probably got it a couple of months before that didn't I? 'Ummm. Yes'. ;-)

http://www.customs.gov.au/faq/Migrants.asp

"Household and personal goods owned and used for less than 12 months will be assessed for the payment of customs duty and GST. Receipts/invoices will be requested. Depreciation rates may apply according to the length of ownership."

We declared a brand new fridge and a freezer valued at £179 each. Under 12 months old but never used. Manufacturers wrapping removed by the shippers, and re-wrapped in soft packaging.

We were charged the GST for the importation of those.

From the same link I posted previously;

Certain items are expressly excluded form the definition of “personal and household effects” and are subject to other requirements.

These include:

• Motor vehicles or motor cycles
  • Caravans, boats and trailers
  • Aircraft
  • Machinery, plant and equipment
  • Fur apparel
  • Alcohol and tobacco products

Sounds like a pretty good going-away party though! :wink:

Edited by Suzukiscottie
spelling

If an item is new enough that you need to pay GST on coming into Australia, wouldn't also be new enough to enable you to claim back the VAT when leaving the UK?

I thought the whole point of the ruling was that you had to pay tax on items somewhere - either the UK or Australia - but you shouldn't have to pay in both countries.

What's the ruling on claiming back VAT when you leave the UK - does it mirror the Australian ruling for imports ie less than one year old?

In the grand scheme of moving an entire household and a family of 5 to Australia, the wee bit of VAT/GST on a couple of white goods wasn't even on our radar at the time. It was a fairly insignificant piece of the whole move. I appreciate that others may wish to claim back everything that they can.

However, my post was specific to the question about moving belongings into Australia.

The link I posted didn't mention any threshold for the value of personal effects, only that belongings under a year old will be assessed for payment of customs duty and GST.

http://www.customs.gov.au/faq/Migrants.asp

Edited by Suzukiscottie

If an item is new enough that you need to pay GST on coming into Australia, wouldn't also be new enough to enable you to claim back the VAT when leaving the UK?

I thought the whole point of the ruling was that you had to pay tax on items somewhere - either the UK or Australia - but you shouldn't have to pay in both countries.

What's the ruling on claiming back VAT when you leave the UK - does it mirror the Australian ruling for imports ie less than one year old?

I do believe you can claim it back at the airport you show them your boarding pass or something like that i do remember reading somewhere so you can claim back 20% and pay 10% not a bad deal realy

Are you taxed if you bring your Alcohol cabinet with you, we have alot of celebratory bottles would hate to have to give it all away some of it is collectors bottles?

Yes you are and it can sting cost wise. Read up on the amounts and then decide if you want to ship or drink. We opted to drink and give it away as honestly, for a few bottles of good whisky it was never worth it.

Edited by Guest
typo

Yes you are and it can sting cost wise. Read up on the amounts and then decide if you want to ship or drink. We opted to drink and give it away as honestly, for a few bottles of good whisky it was never worth it.

Looks like I will be using the 2.25L allowance to get my prize bottles over then

Are you taxed if you bring your Alcohol cabinet with you, we have alot of celebratory bottles would hate to have to give it all away some of it is collectors bottles?

Yes you will need to pay tax on alcohol. We have a few bottles of really good wine and paid tax on those.