BREAKING NEWS: the boats haven't stopped

Harpodom

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen
So you have no point of view then, why post in the first place?

You don't need to have a view to post a valid news article, I don't always post my POV but like to keep members up to date with the latest info

Guest The Pom Queen
Just to stir the pot.

For goodness sake... REALLY? Why can't people just post without being accused of trolling or stirring

For goodness sake... REALLY? Why can't people just post without being accused of trolling or stirring

Because he posted and then refused to comment on a couple of questions. Pretty obvious that it's just to kick off another for against refugee thread. I guess that's what forums are like though. They would die out altogether if people didn't put up controversial stuff.

Guest The Pom Queen
Because he posted and then refused to comment on a couple of questions. Pretty obvious that it's just to kick off another for against refugee thread. I guess that's what forums are like though. They would die out altogether if people didn't put up controversial stuff.

And until you just edited your post you didn't post a POV just an attack.

Best news I've heard for weeks!

Tamil asylum seekers held at sea will be taken to camp on Australian mainland

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/25/tamils-held-high-seas-transferred-mainland-camp

I must admit, that if true, I am secretly pleased too. I miss reading about hundreds of people drowning, and seeing the lefties falling over each other to condemn the RAN and the Govt for not doing more to rescue them.

They have stopped the boats. They stopped this boat before it reached Australian waters.

Unfortunately a bit hard to turn this one around.

Even if this article is true, and we are forced to process these it is very different to the old days of boats arriving almost on a daily basis.

Even if true, the article admits that this will be the first boat for six months, which means that six months worth of illegals will never get here.

The decision to allow the Tamils to land would mark the first asylum seeker boat arrival in Australia for more than six months and would represent a blow to the Coalition's hardline stance on “stopping the boats”.

Guest The Pom Queen
If you are saying that my post "just to stir the pot" was an attack I think Harpo has a thicker skin than to see that as an attack.:cool:

I'm sure he has but as admin I'm fed up of the forum turning in to a b1tch fest. Anyway moving on...

Even if true, the article admits that this will be the first boat for six months, which means that six months worth of illegals will never get here.

I'm drawn to your use of the word 'illegal' there Dave. I'm sure there are a proportion of boat arrivals who are economic migrants plain and simple, but don't the government's own statistics reveal that the majority are legitimate claimants?.

I've read and contributed to a couple of threads on PIO now on this issue, as well as similar threads on The Guardian's comments page. What's striking for me is how strongly sceptics like yourself feel about this issue. On these forums it seems to generate a level of feeling like no other that I can recall, and that seems to match the mainstream media mood. There seems to be really visceral anger directed towards these arrivals and a willingness to endorse just about any level of harsh treatment towards them for daring to trouble the RAN and the Australian tax-payer. As someone who advocates for safe, fair and timely assessment of these arrivals on the Australian mainland I'm always taken aback by the level of anger directed at this group. I'm not sure if you can answer this question Dave, but where do you think this anger and revulsion stems from? Is it fear, is it resentment at having to spend tax dollars on their keep, is it a mistrust of asylum-seekers generally (this group being the most high profile) or is it a belief that they're unfairly pushing in whilst everybody else has to wait?

Guest Guest66881

I think anyone who tries to get here or into any country illegally should be detained until there are enough to ship back as one lump sum so to speak, you know to save on fuel etc, oh and charge the countries they have ran from for petrol.

For me it is that they are just cherry picking Australia.

Clearly these Tamils have got themselves from Sri Lanka to India and rather than staying in Tamll Nadu where there can be no argument of persecution, they think Australia sounds a better option and hop on a boat for a very long journey.

.........just a thought......

..........but could perhaps politicians be useing the asylum seekers as a scapegoat for our economic insecurity....?

...........for the few......compared to migrants that do come and stay ......

...........what impact do they really have on the economy,....?

............we are ..fed......by political tabloid fodder ....the stealing our jobs.....taking extra centre link .......

..............but what of those who go on to be assets....?

................well documented and news worthy....?

.................not usually.......just the assumption they are a economic strain.....

.................economic failings nothing to do with poor political decision.........

....................must be all these asylum seekers.....!

............surely empathy .....sympathy......there but for the grace of god.....

............should come into play for the ordinary australian,....

.............as migrants we ....cherry picked Australia......

...............shouldn't we be honoured others too think the same.....

................taken from....http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/01/15/comment-why-do-we-hate-asylum-seekers

..............a view I share......tink x

I'm drawn to your use of the word 'illegal' there Dave. I'm sure there are a proportion of boat arrivals who are economic migrants plain and simple, but don't the government's own statistics reveal that the majority are legitimate claimants?.

I've read and contributed to a couple of threads on PIO now on this issue, as well as similar threads on The Guardian's comments page. What's striking for me is how strongly sceptics like yourself feel about this issue. On these forums it seems to generate a level of feeling like no other that I can recall, and that seems to match the mainstream media mood. There seems to be really visceral anger directed towards these arrivals and a willingness to endorse just about any level of harsh treatment towards them for daring to trouble the RAN and the Australian tax-payer. As someone who advocates for safe, fair and timely assessment of these arrivals on the Australian mainland I'm always taken aback by the level of anger directed at this group. I'm not sure if you can answer this question Dave, but where do you think this anger and revulsion stems from? Is it fear, is it resentment at having to spend tax dollars on their keep, is it a mistrust of asylum-seekers generally (this group being the most high profile) or is it a belief that they're unfairly pushing in whilst everybody else has to wait?

You have no interest in whether Australia can cope with endless numbers of illegal immgrants, do not care how we find the resources, do not care if other Australians, senior citizens for eg have to pay for their nursing home care, or people who are unpaid carers for their handicapped children. You do not care if the Tamils are former Tigers (ie terrorists) just as you would not care if Russian rebels from Ukraine came here on a boat. All they need to do is come and then you suspend all belief. They MUST all be allowed in. You would allow in former Nazis if they came illegally without paperwork.

And the bottom line is that I am not against legitimate refugees from official camps coming in, but, in affect you are, rather that they wait longer so the illegals can come in first.

The Tamil State in India is far closer than Australia so why don't the Tamil refugees go there? It's their own home land after all? Same reason all those refugees in Europe travel through upteen nations to try to get to Britain.

.........and there are reasons why they choose to travel.....safety.....sanctuary.....freedom from persecution.....!

....Although the Refugee Convention says they must come directly from a territory where their life or freedom is threatened (as opposed to ‘skipping through’ a country like Indonesia), the 2001 Geneva Expert Round Table organised by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees concluded that:

Refugees are not required to have come directly from territories where their life or freedom was threatened… Article 31(1) was intended to apply, and has been interpreted to apply, to persons who have briefly transited other countries or who are unable to find effective protection in the first country or countries to which they flee.” (p.2, 10b, 10c)

Archived