Questions about shipping companies that pack for you??

Emmie2010

So we have booked our shipping.

They have said they will come to the house and pack everything themselves.

So im wondering how does this work? Will they go through every single item and look at everything and pack..are we allowed to help?..what if we have something of a personal that we don't really want strangers rifling through..

Hope that didnt sound weird nothing illegal obviously :P

:wink:

Typically they will just come in and pack everything you've asked them to ship. If there are items you're carrying with you or don't want shipping it's a good idea to put these in a separate room/area and make sure the crew are aware of them when they arrive, these guys work fast!

Re: packing your own boxes... check with your moving company about owner packed boxes. Most will let you but they may only be able to provide total loss insurance for those boxes they haven't packed, or if you leave the tops open so the crew can check the packing then they might be happy to cover you fully.

In all honesty I wouldn't worry too much, these guys move people every day - they've seen it all. Other than making sure everything is safely protected for the journey and that you're not shipping anything prohibited then they aren't bothered what personal belongings you're asking them to pack.

hope that helps?

So we have booked our shipping.

They have said they will come to the house and pack everything themselves.

So im wondering how does this work? Will they go through every single item and look at everything and pack..are we allowed to help?..what if we have something of a personal that we don't really want strangers rifling through..

Hope that didnt sound weird nothing illegal obviously :P

:wink:

No they won't want you to help with the packing. They will just need you there to count boxes, make cups of tea, answer questions etc.

Ring fence things you will carry over on the plane yourself and keep those separate, in a spare room or whatever.

You need to forget about privacy, they are going to see everything else! (They won't be remotely interested though).

Ours were brilliant , we didn't need to do a thing !! They took everything apart and made an inventory of everything they packed which they checked off this end when our container arrived. They even put our furniture back together again , unpacked all boxes right down to putting books back on the bookshelf !!!!!

All they will need is copious cups of tea !!! Ours wouldn't let us help as they make sure everything wrapped and packed to survive the trip !!!

Just as everyone else has said keep anything you don't want packed well out of their way otherwise it will be months before you see it again !!!!!!!

Emmie, I was wondering the same thing - not too sure I want a strange man pack away my underwear!! But I'm sure they've seen it all before!

Wouldn't you want your underwear with you in your suit case rather than stuck in a container for two or three months :wideeyed:?

To to be honest the guys go through that quick I doubt if they really see very much at all. For clothes and things that aren't going with you (we had a few things) they just seem to get picked up in big piles and stuck in boxes.

I bought enough under wear to last me 'till I die ... just brought enough to last until my boxes arrived ... my packers ( John Mason ) gave me a box to pack the underwear in ... the lid was open if they wanted to check it ... it was an enjoyable experience ... they just need tea /coffee and a good selection of biscuits ...

Ours were brilliant , we didn't need to do a thing !! They took everything apart and made an inventory of everything they packed which they checked off this end when our container arrived. They even put our furniture back together again , unpacked all boxes right down to putting books back on the bookshelf !!!!!

All they will need is copious cups of tea !!! Ours wouldn't let us help as they make sure everything wrapped and packed to survive the trip !!!

Just as everyone else has said keep anything you don't want packed well out of their way otherwise it will be months before you see it again !!!!!!!

Wow beckyjane, your removal company sound first rate. Are you allowed to say who they are? If so do tell me. I always wonder if it matters whereabouts in the UK you live, as to which company you are able to choose. Them doing the inventory sounds good, or maybe all companies do it, otherwise a bit of a nightmare trying to keep up with them !!

Thanks in advance for any info.

We had Robinsons pack and move for us , we used to live in Wiltshire :) honestly they were so good. Especially as it was only when they arrived to pack that it suddenly hit me as to what we were doing !!! They were lovely and just got on with everything, I made lots of tea and cleaned up rooms as they emptied them ! It took them 2 days to pack , wrap and put our things into the container, we had a 3 bed semi. I was a complete mess when the house had been emptied and they all gave me a massive hug before they drove away !! Not only were they great at their job they also understood the emotional impact of what they were doing which was a such a help !! Even the Australian guys this side were great , we told them we'd spent 10 weeks sleeping on inflatable mattresses , so they made sure that our beds were the 1st things they put back together :) !!! They unpacked as much as they could with us as they took all of the cardboard away to save us having to get rid of it :) xxxxx

Thanks for your reply beckyjane. I have looked them up and they have a branch near us. Have to say they have not featured on removal companies before I don't think, but they sound very good, their website is very informative and answers a number of questions I have. Do they write on each box, as I believe that is a requirement by customs, makes life easier for them I suppose if this is the case!! Or is it just a general in in inventory, who did they use in Aus to unpack. Sorry if these questions seem a bit stupid, it's just that I like to know. Haha! Thanks in advance.

That's ok !! They have international teams so we had Robinsons Relocation guys this side too :) ! Each of out boxes were numbered and each box had a general description on for example .. Plates & cutlery or Xmas Decs etc then we had one long invoice where each box was itemised along with its contents so we could check nothing was missing. We had a couple of boxes opened by customs and they mark those boxes so you you know . Just make sure everything clean , Robinsons let us know when they were packing if there was anything that shouldn't go in . Anything that shouldn't be there will be confiscated at customs. Hope this helps !! Xx

That's ok !! They have international teams so we had Robinsons Relocation guys this side too :)

Thanks for the really helpful posts regarding your experience Becky. After reading about your positive experience with Robinsons we're going to get a quote from them for our shipping. For the Oz end of things, was it 100% Robinsons Relocation or one of their partner companies on behalf of Robinsons?

We used Robinsins as well and had also a really good experience with them. They used Grace at this end (Adelaide) who were also really good. It was two years ago so they may have there own guys or use someone different now. The rep that comes to quote will be able to tell you who will be used at this side.

We used Robinsins as well and had also a really good experience with them. They used Grace at this end (Adelaide) who were also really good. It was two years ago so they may have there own guys or use someone different now. The rep that comes to quote will be able to tell you who will be used at this side.
Good to know that Grace provided a good service too. Thanks! We're moving to the Central Coast, NSW so the chaps that beckyjayne used could very well be the same lot that would deliver our container. We'll find out more when we get them in for a quote next month.

Thanks for the info. Our move is a bit complicated, as we are moving into a rental in the UK, having sold up (we hope!) until our visas come through, which will not be for a few months. So we obviously need a company for both moves, and Robinsons sound good from experiences on here. Of course the person who comes to quote is always very charming! We are going Perth and I think Grace are there as well. However, as we all know things change. Thanks to all xx

Thanks for replies

Yeh suppose they've seen alot of strange things.

Didnt really know how they all go about it. We have packed alot off stuff in boxes here ready that we wont be needing anytime soon. But ill imagine they'll put them in their own boxes when here.

Anyone used Crown?

We're going with Crown. So far they've been pretty good, but I'll be able to let you know more on 4th August when they come and take our stuff!!

Spent the weekend sorting things into boxes of 'staying in uk/throwing away' and 'taking to Oz'. Then they can hopefully just take everything out of our boxes to pack it.

Will let you know what I think when they're done!! x

We're going with Crown. So far they've been pretty good, but I'll be able to let you know more on 4th August when they come and take our stuff!!

Spent the weekend sorting things into boxes of 'staying in uk/throwing away' and 'taking to Oz'. Then they can hopefully just take everything out of our boxes to pack it.

Crown have been great with us so far, have been so helpful. Ours doesn't get picked up until the 10th October so still a while to sort it out, but coming across so much rubbish wondering why we kept half of it!

Would be great if you could share experience once theyve been :)

Where abouts are you moving too? x

Hi Tina0101, we finally got our visa so planning to book flights early November. Very interested to hear how you get on with your removal guys? How far in advance did you book them?

Cheers.x

Literally confirmed with Crown last week and they're coming on 4th August!! Quite last minute, but all 3 companies we looked at (Pickfords and PSS too) said it wouldn't be a problem that quick.

Will let you know how we get on with them.

Literally confirmed with Crown last week and they're coming on 4th August!! Quite last minute, but all 3 companies we looked at (Pickfords and PSS too) said it wouldn't be a problem that quick.

Will let you know how we get on with them.

I've got Crown and Robinson's lined up for quotes. They both came across as very professional on the phone. The young lad at Crown was very pleasant and polite.

Getting things moving, very scary, indeed.....

Good Luck tina0101, can't wait to hear how you guys are getting on! have you heard from Cool Breeze? he must be there by now.

Archived