Lost passport - changing jobs - popping home

BadgerLady

Hia,

So this is a complicated one - I know what all the individual answers are (I think) but have no confidence in putting them all together!

1. I've lost my passport

I've spent the last two weeks refusing to believe I've lost it... but having gone through every inch of the car, turned out every pocket and bag and moved / emptied every item of furniture in the house, I have to concede that it's definitely gone.

UPDATE: It turns out it's already been returned to the passport office and cancelled. Not just missing but actually *reported* missing.

2. I've got a new job (whoop!)

I've had the verbal offer and am just waiting for the written contract to come through, at which point my new employer will apply to take over nomination of my 457 visa. I've already left my last job so am officially unemployed while we wait for this to happen. I've changed jobs several times in the last 9 months and the employer is a big corporate with plenty of other 457 holders on staff. I anticipate 2.5 - 3 weeks processing time with no hitches.

3. I'm nipping back to Blighty

I've been invited to speak at a couple of conferences in Brussels and London in September and October, so the plan is to take a month or so out there, see the family and work out of my new employer's London office.

So, the questions are...

• If I report my passport 'lost' now, will I have to wait for a new one to arrive before my 457 visa can be transferred? In which case it would be months before I can start work.
  • Is it better to do the visa transfer first, then report my passport 'lost' afterwards? I still have scans of it, signed off by JP etc...
  • I'll need to get an emergency travel document from the British Embassy to travel home in September (no way I'll get a new passport before then) - should I then try to get a new passport while I'm at home? Or could I apply from here and then collect it while I'm at home? What effect (if any) would that have on my getting back to Australia, given that the 457 visa is attached to a particular passport?

Haha, I love that idea! But I haven't even taken my portable scanner out of its cellophane wrapper :huh:

I 'scanned' my passport into Dropbox years ago by taking a high-quality photo of it, and have carried on using the same JPG ever since... in fact I still now use it on my smartphone as ID if I need to pick up a parcel or get into a nightclub!

If you already know you could not get a replacement passport before you travel then it seems sensible to sequence it as getting your 457 sorted, then report the passport missing, then cross fingers when you ask for an emergency travel document. You would have to get the passport sorted when you are back in the UK as you would be unlikely to get an emergency travel document to let you leave the UK and travel to Belgium. You would also need to get your 457 transferred to the new passport before returning to Australia.

If you already know you could not get a replacement passport before you travel then it seems sensible to sequence it as getting your 457 sorted, then report the passport missing, then cross fingers when you ask for an emergency travel document. You would have to get the passport sorted when you are back in the UK as you would be unlikely to get an emergency travel document to let you leave the UK and travel to Belgium. You would also need to get your 457 transferred to the new passport before returning to Australia.

Makes sense to me. Thanks :)

So then the only question is... is a month in the UK enough to get a new passport and get my visa transferred (and spend a week or two in mainland Europe)?

Makes sense to me. Thanks :)

So then the only question is... is a month in the UK enough to get a new passport and get my visa transferred (and spend a week or two in mainland Europe)?

If you are lucky it will be 3 weeks but that is not a given

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

Also there is a backlog over summer as usual and so delays kick in.

There is a premium service iirc, though you pay more that. The 'lost' option will see it done as a fast track process

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently (check the list for 'lost, stolen passport')

Fast Track 1-week service

Your passport will be sent to your home within 1 week (not including bank and public holidays).

To get your passport within 1 week, you must supply all your completed forms and supporting documents to Her Majesty’s Passport Office at the agreed appointment.

If you’re replacing a lost or stolen passport you may need to attend an interview, and your application may take longer.

You may also need to be in to sign for the delivery of your passport.

I cannot comment on how long it takes to get your visa transferred. You need to fill out a form, send it and wait. You can research that easily I would think.

Of course Murphy's Law says you will find your old passport as soon as you report it lost.

So keep looking for it. It is there somewhere. You are just not looking in the right place.

A quick prayer to St Anthony is in order I think! Sorry can't help with the other stuff!

So keep looking for it. It is there somewhere. You are just not looking in the right place.

I really wish that were true. Believe me no-one has ever looked for anything as thoroughly as I've looked for this damned passport! I have:

- Dismantled every item of furniture in my flat, piled it all up in one corner, swept all the floors and then put the furniture back in different places.

- Emptied every box, every cupboard, every drawer and sifted through their contents. All my little tools, beads, buttons, all organized into little bags.

- Scanned every piece of paper in the house - phone bills, certificates, post - and put out in the recycling.

- Pulled out every jacket / piece of clothing and checked the pockets. Twice. Including emptying the laundry basket.

- Turned every handbag, suitcase and backpack inside out, checking every pocket.

- Completely emptied the car, checking carefully under seats, in door pockets...

There's nowhere else to look. I normally carry my passport everywhere with me as ID so it's far more likely I've dropped it somewhere - probably fell out of my pocket when I sat on a train.

I contacted the passport office to ask whether it had been handed in... They told me I would need to make the request in writing and pay £10. But how the hell do you very hold of a cheque for £10 out here in this day and age?

Oh and I've also:

- Flicked through every book and leaflet in the house to check there's nothing between the pages,

- Stood on the toilet and on the kitchen sink to look on top of the fitted cupboards,

- Taken the covers off the sofas (and put them back on again).

Oh dear. Sounds like it may be gone then.

The only other thing i can suggest is the obvious - try and remember the last time you had it and retrace your steps.

Mine always stays in its safe place and only comes out when needed.

OH SH&T :(

I just went to renew my driving licence and got the following message:

Your passport photo cannot be used to renew your driving licence, as your UK passport must be valid.

Sooooo... I'm guessing my passport WAS found and handed in. And cancelled.

What does this mean for transferring my 457??

OH SH&T :(

I just went to renew my driving licence and got the following message:

Sooooo... I'm guessing my passport WAS found and handed in. And cancelled.

What does this mean for transferring my 457??

It may have implications for your current 457's validity and it may mean they won't be able to transfer a 457 to another employer. You'll only find out by asking the question, and asking the question may trigger processes that could otherwise have waited. It sounds like you need to apply for a replacement passport now.

I'm thinking about flying to the UK now... I can get a fast track passport, sort out my visa and even do some contract work while I'm waiting...

Sooooo frustrating not having confirmation, given Immigration is closed for the weekend :(

Archived