Only 1 year left on UK passport, should I renew before I go?

jimmy1986

Hi all,

I'll be moving October 2014. My current UK passport expires in October 2015.

Would it be best to renew my passport before I go (taking a gamble on the backlog we keep hearing in the news) or wait until I'm there any renew offshore?

Thanks

Do you plan to do any travelling using your UK passport between moving and when it expires? If so, then I would say perhaps renew before you leave (you have a good 2 1/2 months which should hopefully be long enough). But if you dont want to take the risk of it being delayed and arent planning on doing other travelling once you hit Aussie shores then wait until you are in Aust and perhaps till the new year when hopefully the backlog will be done and dusted and time frames return to normal.

I would....renewing from Australia now is also done in the UK, have seen other forum member waiting quite a while for renewals and one had to courier more photos to UK as original ones weren't accepted. Passport renewals are suppose to take 3 wks but can fast track and get within a week.

If you renew from UK using 1 wk fast track service will cost £103. Renew from Australia with will take at least 6 wks, with the courier charge to get it back to you (not including your costs to send application to UK)will be £102:86. Will be cheaper to renew from UK and they will often add extra time on old passport on to new one.

if you renew from UK you will also need to fill in form 929 to link your new passport to your visa.

Guest Guest66881

Wife did hers and the kids from here, just before the passport office bollox kicked off, we still waited a while but got them back eventually - do it while you are that end so much less stress involved.

• 2 months later...

Hi ive just had my 189 visa granted but do not plan to enter Australia until January 2015, i have renewed my passport (AFTER) my 189 visa was granted here in the UK and have noticed the message on immiaccount that says if you have been granted a visa you need to send a certified copy with form 929 BY POST to your nearest office. Obviously my nearest office is thousands of miles away in Australia so do you think they will accept a certified copy and form 929 by email or uploaded to immiaccount? as i have not yet entered Australia? If anyone has been in this situation i would appreciate some help on the matter as immiaccount is currently down for maintenance so i cannot email my case officer, thanks in advance for your help:arghh:

Hi ive just had my 189 visa granted but do not plan to enter Australia until January 2015, i have renewed my passport (AFTER) my 189 visa was granted here in the UK and have noticed the message on immiaccount that says if you have been granted a visa you need to send a certified copy with form 929 BY POST to your nearest office. Obviously my nearest office is thousands of miles away in Australia so do you think they will accept a certified copy and form 929 by email or uploaded to immiaccount? as i have not yet entered Australia? If anyone has been in this situation i would appreciate some help on the matter as immiaccount is currently down for maintenance so i cannot email my case officer, thanks in advance for your help:arghh:

I must admit, I thought email was perfectly acceptable. But it is not hard to send something by post thousands of miles away either.

Hi all,

I'll be moving October 2014. My current UK passport expires in October 2015.

Would it be best to renew my passport before I go (taking a gamble on the backlog we keep hearing in the news) or wait until I'm there any renew offshore?

Thanks

Renew before you go- if you need to leave the country, you need at least 6 months on your passport to get back in.

Archived