What do you miss about the UK?

aconcannon

Those all seem rather negative and superficial reasons for not coming to Australia. I could understand if Australia had horrible standards of education, health, work, leisure, compared to the UK, which of course it doesn't, but c**p TV, supermarkets, comedy shows, no long summer nights, too far from Europe, no English football unless you stay up past midnight, no underground train system, just don't seem like important reasons for staying in the UK.

You could have tried getting into one of the four professional football codes that Australia supports, whilst treasuring the fact that EVERY EPL game is shown live in Australia, unlike the four or five, usually big games, you are restricted to in England, and of course, unless you are a season ticket holder, you are also restricted in the number of games you can see live. Of course, there is nothing like seeing a game live but there is such an incredible atmosphere at the various pubs and clubs that show games live, and sharing it with new friends from both Britain and Australia, united by a love of the EPL, and willing to put up with a few late nights.

You mentioned 'trams' so I guess you were in Melbourne, and I am proud, though a Sydneysider, that, unlike London and Sydney which tore up their tram networks, Melbourne showed a bit of foresight. I don't know what it's like driving in Melbourne, but I do know that it is awful in both London and Sydney.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaargh! Just finished watching Nigel Slater' cookery and the Alan Cumming's Urban Secrets (Dublin). Nigel cooked a lot of seafood and I have forgotten the taste of great locally sourced crab, mackerel, smoked cod etc.... . Didn't help that he was presenting from Brighton seafront in part. Then I really enjoyed Urban Secrets - have been wanting to go to Dublin for a long time - and will make it a priority when I get back - but it looked so exciting, full of life, friendly creative people. Then got mailshot from Easyjet (still on their mailing list from last summer in the UK) - Flights from Gatwick to European cities 36 quid. I HAVE to stop watching all this Foxtel!

Strange how tastes differ. I went to the UK to attend a wedding two years ago. Took the time to visit family members, and certainly that was very nice. Had a game of golf with my brother, loved seeing the ball drop smack in the middle of the fairway with a splash, as it discovered a new lake had been created by the rain. Fairly typical for Scotland I think, and all very well for making memories. Had a foray into England for the wedding, enjoyed the scenery and all, but I enjoyed it as a tourist.

At the airport on the way home, it was clear that the UK was a foreign country, a place which, for me, holds no interest beyond that of the place where family members live. I miss not a sodding thing from the UK, and spend not a minute thinking about it.

I do believe, however, that those who do think about what they are missing are consigning themselves to living a life less productive. Looking back at the past is a sure way of making the present less successful.

Hi All,

I have been here awhile now but the things that I really miss about the UK is quality beer in local pubs in the village and the late summer evenings. Everything else forget it.

Cheers Mutty

Accessibility to British style comedy/stand up shows and certain comedy shows on TV plus a an authentic decorated curry house. Currently don't miss much else and enjoy our Ozzie experience/lifestyle so cant be doing to bad. Enjoyed many years of the history and will look forward to revisiting Britain and Europe and sharing that with my family but until then we have plenty more to see and embrace in this part of the world.

Those all seem rather negative and superficial reasons for not coming to Australia. I could understand if Australia had horrible standards of education, health, work, leisure, compared to the UK, which of course it doesn't, but c**p TV, supermarkets, comedy shows, no long summer nights, too far from Europe, no English football unless you stay up past midnight, no underground train system, just don't seem like important reasons for staying in the UK.

You could have tried getting into one of the four professional football codes that Australia supports, whilst treasuring the fact that EVERY EPL game is shown live in Australia, unlike the four or five, usually big games, you are restricted to in England, and of course, unless you are a season ticket holder, you are also restricted in the number of games you can see live. Of course, there is nothing like seeing a game live but there is such an incredible atmosphere at the various pubs and clubs that show games live, and sharing it with new friends from both Britain and Australia, united by a love of the EPL, and willing to put up with a few late nights.

You mentioned 'trams' so I guess you were in Melbourne, and I am proud, though a Sydneysider, that, unlike London and Sydney which tore up their tram networks, Melbourne showed a bit of foresight. I don't know what it's like driving in Melbourne, but I do know that it is awful in both London and Sydney.

I never said that I hated Australia, my comment that in many ways it is the same as Britain was intended as positive. By that I mean I was working in both, commuting in both, paying taxes and bills in both, had access to fantastic public services in both. It sounds obvious but those facets of life are important. I didn't bother to mention friends and family in the uk as that's fairly obvious and applied to most people. I had a good life in England and a good life in Australia (I especially enjoyed playing more cricket and living next to the beach), but my uk life was better. Everyone is different though and I could see how if I didn't live in such a nice part of England, wasn't that close to family and friends, or had a job that paid more or was working outdoors I might have preferred Australia.

Of all the points I raised it was probably the feeling of isolation that ranked highest. It took me 4.5 hours to fly to Perth and it was just like Melbourne just a bit warmer and a bit smaller. Two weeks ago I went to Cologne and am going to Paris in a few weeks for the weekend both of which are an hour away. As with the last point I realise that doesn't matter to a lot of people but I found it did to me.

I've met lots of English migrants mainly through my work and the majority of them are really happy here but I sometimes find it difficult to understand when they say there's nothing they miss and also a little sad too. Surely you must have some place in your heart for the country you originate from even if you never want to return? Both my sisters feel that way and I just don't get it but maybe some of us are just more sentimental than others?

I miss so much about England and I love thinking about it, reading about it, watching programmes on it - makes me feel good and nostalgic and brings back good memories - where's the harm in that?

Hi All,

I have been here awhile now but the things that I really miss about the UK is quality beer in local pubs in the village and the late summer evenings. Everything else forget it.

Cheers Mutty

Thats what I miss the most!!!

I've met lots of English migrants mainly through my work and the majority of them are really happy here but I sometimes find it difficult to understand when they say there's nothing they miss and also a little sad too. Surely you must have some place in your heart for the country you originate from even if you never want to return? Both my sisters feel that way and I just don't get it but maybe some of us are just more sentimental than others?

I miss so much about England and I love thinking about it, reading about it, watching programmes on it - makes me feel good and nostalgic and brings back good memories - where's the harm in that?

Many of us are sentimental about where we were born and brought up, but we live in Australia, with the accent on 'living'. We are not tourists, not on a WHV, nor even a 4 year working visa. We don't spend our time comparing things between Australia and England because what is the point? You cannot live in both countries, so you have to choose, and the majority of us choose OZ!

I could get on a plane tomorrow, and be in 'ye olde worlde thatched roof English pub, drinking 'real' (CAMRA approved) ale, but I'd be there on my own, whilst my mates would be here. This arvo I was in a pub with fellow migrant mates, from Ireland, Argentina and Norway. This evening, I was in another pub with my Aussie mates. There was no difference between the two experiences. We talked about a variety of topics. We are quite content to drink Aussie beer.

Many of us are sentimental about where we were born and brought up, but we live in Australia, with the accent on 'living'. We are not tourists, not on a WHV, nor even a 4 year working visa. We don't spend our time comparing things between Australia and England because what is the point? You cannot live in both countries, so you have to choose, and the majority of us choose OZ!

I could get on a plane tomorrow, and be in 'ye olde worlde thatched roof English pub, drinking 'real' (CAMRA approved) ale, but I'd be there on my own, whilst my mates would be here. This arvo I was in a pub with fellow migrant mates, from Ireland, Argentina and Norway. This evening, I was in another pub with my Aussie mates. There was no difference between the two experiences. We talked about a variety of topics. We are quite content to drink Aussie beer.

I'm not saying I spend most of my time reminiscing, I don't and when I do it's not necessarily about thatched cottages as I never lived in one! I've lived in Australia long enough to call it home and have gone way past the point of comparing one country to another but just because I live here does not mean I have to obliterate my affection for a place I spent 38 years of my life, and happy ones too. The past moulds us into the person we are today and ​good memories are the ones we should cling onto and not forget. So I just find it hard to understand when some migrants say there's nothing they miss but I'm older and also a bit of a softie too. I know for a fact that when I return to England either temporarily or permanently that I will speak of Australia with fondness, will remember all the good times, and will miss it too, it works both ways.

I've also met lots of Italian and Greek migrants who've been here for decades and though they'll never return, they speak about their home countries with nothing but affection. Maybe it is just the whinging English!

Other than people, I don't miss much.

But I do miss the build up to Christmas - it's not the same here.

That's true, but remember, too, how depressing it is to wake up hungover on New Years Day, knowing there is another three months of damp, dreary, depressing weather to come!? But in OZ. New Year's Day is just the 2nd week of your summer holidays!

And it's true, too, that it is the people that you really miss. My parents have passed away. One day, I would like to go and see their headstone again in the village graveyard. But now that they are gone, I realize that everything else that I thought I missed are just 'things'!

I'm not saying I spend most of my time reminiscing, I don't and when I do it's not necessarily about thatched cottages as I never lived in one! I've lived in Australia long enough to call it home and have gone way past the point of comparing one country to another but just because I live here does not mean I have to obliterate my affection for a place I spent 38 years of my life, and happy ones too. The past moulds us into the person we are today and ​good memories are the ones we should cling onto and not forget. So I just find it hard to understand when some migrants say there's nothing they miss but I'm older and also a bit of a softie too. I know for a fact that when I return to England either temporarily or permanently that I will speak of Australia with fondness, will remember all the good times, and will miss it too, it works both ways.

I've also met lots of Italian and Greek migrants who've been here for decades and though they'll never return, they speak about their home countries with nothing but affection. Maybe it is just the whinging English!

I doubt if I have ever posted negative comments about Britain on here, and I've often said that I am immersed now in all things Pommie, far more than at any time in my life - reading the English newspapers online, football news online, especially about Spurs, looking forward to 3pm and Last of the Summer Wine, followed by Midsomer Murders. Actually, those last two are pertinent, because although I love watching them, and in the case of Last of the Summer Wine, wish I'd been to Yorks when I had the chance, but they are just bloody good TV shows that happen to be set in England.

When I came back to Sydney in December, 2008, the first couple of times I went to Aussie supermarkets, I remember thinking 'this isn't much good compared to ASDA' but now, five years on, I can't remember what it was that I did not like.

The difference is, that for people who are unhappy here, they become obsessed with these things. I'm joking but it's as if they spend their time printing out the 'menu' from ASDA and Tesco online then go around Woolies and Coles, comparing every time, looking at the prices, creating vast spreadsheets.

It's the same with beer. I love my beer. I loved drinking real ale, but I'm never going to spend my time in Aussie pubs thinking how cr*p Aussie beer is compare to 'the real thing' in England. And that is patronising anyway. My local pub has ten different craft beers on tap, all brewed by people who are just as passionate about beer as any CAMRA fanatic. In any case, just like England, it's a niche market. The masses, whether UK or OZ drink mostly the big brewers' product, and just like the UK, the big brewers buy up the craft beer brewers anyway, which means, however 'sniffy' the real / craft ale drinkers are, they are still drinking Carling Black Label and VB.

I doubt if I have ever posted negative comments about Britain on here, and I've often said that I am immersed now in all things Pommie, far more than at any time in my life - reading the English newspapers online, football news online, especially about Spurs, looking forward to 3pm and Last of the Summer Wine, followed by Midsomer Murders. Actually, those last two are pertinent, because although I love watching them, and in the case of Last of the Summer Wine, wish I'd been to Yorks when I had the chance, but they are just bloody good TV shows that happen to be set in England.

When I came back to Sydney in December, 2008, the first couple of times I went to Aussie supermarkets, I remember thinking 'this isn't much good compared to ASDA' but now, five years on, I can't remember what it was that I did not like.

The difference is, that for people who are unhappy here, they become obsessed with these things. I'm joking but it's as if they spend their time printing out the 'menu' from ASDA and Tesco online then go around Woolies and Coles, comparing every time, looking at the prices, creating vast spreadsheets.

It's the same with beer. I love my beer. I loved drinking real ale, but I'm never going to spend my time in Aussie pubs thinking how cr*p Aussie beer is compare to 'the real thing' in England. And that is patronising anyway. My local pub has ten different craft beers on tap, all brewed by people who are just as passionate about beer as any CAMRA fanatic. In any case, just like England, it's a niche market. The masses, whether UK or OZ drink mostly the big brewers' product, and just like the UK, the big brewers buy up the craft beer brewers anyway, which means, however 'sniffy' the real / craft ale drinkers are, they are still drinking Carling Black Label and VB.

You're right, a lot of things we miss are just that - things, objects that really don't matter too much at the end of the day. Whenever I have visitors from England they always ask me if there's anything I want them to buy me and each year it gets less and less and it's been absolutely nothing for the last few years. A lot of "items" we miss can be got over here anyway. I miss things that aren't tangible and that I can never recapture here, sense of belonging I suppose.

Definitely don't miss the dog poo either!

Nope not really missing anything. I fancied a sausage roll the other day and the one I got at the footy was horrible, but it is definitely not enough to go home for! I can get Minstrels in Woolies and I can get Monster Munch in North Sydney. I stock up on Boots Moisturisers if somebody heads back to the UK though, my skin is much better for it.

I suppose if Australian dogs did poo it would smell of roses anyway! :wink:

I have to agree with original poster - As a non dog owner I do love the fact that people pick up after their pooch much more here. And that dogs are largely contained in those nasty dog exercise prisons. In fact two of my favourite things about Oz are relative lack of dog poo and the fact that there is usually a good supply of public loos in the town centres. Not enough to outweigh all the other stuff though.....

What I don't miss is having the Lead from my roof ripped off every month, my gas meter stolen, my garage doors spray painted, my cars wing mirrors kicked off weekly usually after a Saturday night, passing my wife in the hallway as i arrived from a 12 hour shift, and she left for one, so we could afford the house we lived in in the shithole street cos that's all we could afford on 2 wages. sorry rant over !!!

I do miss the closeness to Europe for Holidays though :cute:

Archived