Can I ship my favourite coffee and Sarsons vinegar in my Shipping container?

Hi,

The question is in the title really. Plus does anyone have a link to the restrictions list for shipping from the UK please? I'm sure there must be one on here already but..... Thanks all :):chatterbox:

from what I remember it was zero food items allowed in a container but you could bring those things in your hand baggage and declare them (I brought decaff earl grey teabags cos I couldn't find them over here)

NWM

p.s. I agree about the sarsons but the Aussie coffee is pretty damn good

Thankfully not.. I like to make my own.. Taylors of Harrogate (Rich Italian 4, Decaff 4 Coffees and Yorkshire Tea). Have had some nice coffees in Australia over the years, but never been in a position to buy my own beans and test, as yet.... :) Thought I might take a few just to cover the gap in finding suitable replacements lol...

Hi,

The question is in the title really. Plus does anyone have a link to the restrictions list for shipping from the UK please? :chatterbox:

You are not allowed to import food into Australia without declaring it. So if you want to bring it, it will have to be in your luggage and you'll have to stop and declare it at Customs when you arrive. Whether they let it through or not, depends on the risk of it carrying diseases. I'd say vinegar will be waved through because vinegar kills most bugs - not so sure about coffee.

You are not allowed to import food into Australia without declaring it. So if you want to bring it, it will have to be in your luggage and you'll have to stop and declare it at Customs when you arrive. Whether they let it through or not, depends on the risk of it carrying diseases. I'd say vinegar will be waved through because vinegar kills most bugs - not so sure about coffee.

Pretty much anything is OK in reasonable quantities as long as it is unopened in it's original packaging and has the ingredients clearly labelled in English. I have even brought Haggis through (tinned) and declared it and it was allowed through despite restrictions on commercially importing it. As long as you declare it, the worst that can happen is they will confiscate it, unless of course you buy some special muffins from Amsterdam and try to get them in!!

NWM

Does it have to go in your checked luggage or can you send it via shipping (your container gets checked by customs/quarantine so it would be the same as declaring when you take it through in your luggage wouldnt it?)?

Hi, Would it be right to assume that the shippers would know exactly what can and cannot go into the shipping container, I have holidayed in Australia many times and taken over food items for family and friends, so I am aware of what is and is not allowed, I was hoping that if we are granted our 189 visa,( applied for in June 2014) that I could put in some food items (larger sized) that I know are allowed in hand luggage.All our boxes would be itemized.

Does it have to go in your checked luggage or can you send it via shipping (your container gets checked by customs/quarantine so it would be the same as declaring when you take it through in your luggage wouldnt it?)?

It's fine if you are accompanying it but not if you send it in a container.

NWM

Hi, Would it be right to assume that the shippers would know exactly what can and cannot go into the shipping container, I have holidayed in Australia many times and taken over food items for family and friends, so I am aware of what is and is not allowed, I was hoping that if we are granted our 189 visa,( applied for in June 2014) that I could put in some food items (larger sized) that I know are allowed in hand luggage.All our boxes would be itemized.

They do know and they won't like it but if you can get it past your shippers then go for it - the worst that can happen is that your container gets delayed waiting for a full inspection, your goods get confiscated, you attract a fine and you have to pay additional Aqis fees.

NWM

Guest Guest26110
Coffees fine, I bring Douwe Egberts filter coffee and Bisto Onion Gravy Granules in my luggage, declare it and get waved through every time.

Ah how I miss bisto. I actually packed a whole suitcase, weighed 25kg of food from uk, declared it at customs, mainly spices as hubby loves making currys, everything must be in shop bought packets unopened and you would be fine, always check whats on the prohibited list. As long as your honest and declare no worries. Food in shipping is a big no no, customs will rip your shipment appart looking for it, take on the plane.

Thanks, We are self packing as moving next week so everything going into a storage unit,until we know whats happening regarding visa,I have used Jeyes fluid on all shoes, packed them into one large holdall,Have gone through every box, not one item from prohibited list in there.It is probably not worth the hassle of putting food stuff in,Won't miss it enough to be really bothered, would have just been nice to have the odd thing I know I can't get over there,All this assuming we are granted the visa :wink:

Thanks, I have looked at the link and shippers info, decided we won't take anything food wise,other than what we can fit in our luggage,So told friends and family living in OZ to stop the requests :cute:

We are going to sell bikes and golf clubs as cleaning them to a standard that is required may be a challenge, not sure how much quarantine would charge if they were not satisfied

that we had cleaned them thoroughly enough.

Archived