Are you 'comfortable' with Australia's handling of Tamil asylum seekers at sea?

Harpodom

Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?

• Yes I agree
    • No I disagree
    • I couldn't care less

Well this interview with the great man was quite revealing

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/13/rupert-murdoch-labors-nbn-was-ridiculous

[h=1]Rupert Murdoch: NBN a ridiculous idea and climate change overblown[/h]

My favourite quote is "We shouldn’t be building windmills and all that rubbish."

Way to go Rupe!

Rupert Rules! I challenge anybody who hates him to read 'The Australian' or watch Fox/Sky News & Current Affairs for a week and then tell me exactly where the evidence is for both Murdoch telling all his staff what to write, and/or the one-sided bias.

They televised the Leveson? Enquiry live, Rupert Murdoch's grilling before that or a Parliamentary enquiry. His newspapers and media don't just slavishly support the Liberal party and at times they have supported the ALP at general elections. ALP/union figures regularly contribute to his newspapers and appear on the current affairs shows.

If you want true bias/prejudice, then read Mike Carlton's columns for Fairfax, or watch Q & A. I don't want to just hear my own point or view but nor do I want to hear just the opposite view.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do admire Rupert. How can you not ?

He inherited a small Adelaide newspaper from his father and from that managed to create one of the biggest media empires in the world.

It takes a lot of guts and expertise to do that. And he is still going in his 80s. No pipe and slippers for him.

I'm sure he has been ruthless along the way at times but overall yes I admire him greatly for what he achieved during his working life.

Well this interview with the great man was quite revealing

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/13/rupert-murdoch-labors-nbn-was-ridiculous

Rupert Murdoch: NBN a ridiculous idea and climate change overblown

My favourite quote is "We shouldn’t be building windmills and all that rubbish."

Way to go Rupe!

So, he does not believe the same things as you, but why does that make him wrong? And you could cover the planet with wind farms and still never have enough power.

In fact, if climate change is THE greatest threat to the survival of the human race, we should be using our uranium stocks to go 100 per cent nuclear.

So, he does not believe the same things as you, but why does that make him wrong? And you could cover the planet with wind farms and still never have enough power.

In fact, if climate change is THE greatest threat to the survival of the human race, we should be using our uranium stocks to go 100 per cent nuclear.

Because he's wrong.

Unfortunately he also has a massive influence on the political machinations of both the Aus and UK, which is why your ridiculous belief system (specifically that climate change is crap) isn't laughed out of town.

But I digress

Second favourite quote:

“My impression is that he is the most admirable, honest, principled man, something we really need in a prime minister, someone we can look up to,” he said. “However, how much does he understand free markets and what should be happening? I don’t know. Only time will tell.”

Time to start the Aricept?

Because he's wrong.

Unfortunately he also has a massive influence on the political machinations of both the Aus and UK, which is why your ridiculous belief system (specifically that climate change is crap) isn't laughed out of town.

But I digress

He's wrong because he's wrong, but that still does not explain why he has so much influence. Why would anybody believe what is in his newspapers more than that what is in other newspapers? What does he own in the UK? The Sun and The Times? What about the other six or seven daily newspapers? And what makes people who turn to the ABC, Fairfax, and The Guardian, just SO intelligent and discerning, whillst those who read/watch other news sources so dumb? Oh, if only we were not all just so THICK!

He's wrong because he's wrong, but that still does not explain why he has so much influence. Why would anybody believe what is in his newspapers more than that what is in other newspapers? What does he own in the UK? The Sun and The Times? What about the other six or seven daily newspapers? And what makes people who turn to the ABC, Fairfax, and The Guardian, just SO intelligent and discerning, whillst those who read/watch other news sources so dumb? Oh, if only we were not all just so THICK!

Amen to that!

Apologists, do you have any comments on this article? It contains some fairly shocking allegations

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/14/please-angelina-jolie-accept-the-invitation-to-visit-nauru

Please, Angelina Jolie, accept the invitation to visit Nauru

And shame if she doesn't visit. She of all people has the power to make a difference

I don't read The Daily Mail or The Guardian.

Oh sorry, 'ere ya go cobber, knock yourself out

Despite reports in the Australian media, Angelina Jolie isn't visiting Nauru – but she should.

Jolie – who co-chaired the first global summit to end sexual violence in conflict and whose humanitarian work in the field was praised by the British foreign secretary William Hague as “enormous[ly] transformative” – should take up the offer from Nauru's government.

She would be in a relatively unique position. The running of Australian-funded immigration detention centres on Nauru is cloaked in secrecy, so much so that both the UN and Amnesty International have recently been prevented from visiting the centres.

Only a few months ago the Nauruan government raised the price for a media visa application fee by 40 times. It now costs a journalist $8,000 just to apply for a Nauruan visa.

While the Nauruan government might claim their treatment of asylum seekers and refugees is indicative of the “world's best practice”, the facts simply don’t support this.

Here are four reasons Angelina might want to take up the offer to visit.

[h=2]Asylum seeker children in detention physically, sexually and verbally assaulted by staff[/h]A number of Guardian Australia investigations have revealed that a number of the 208 asylum seeker children, transferred to detention on Nauru by the Australian government, have been subject to various forms of abuse.

Last month we revealed that a teenage boy was sexually assaulted by a detention centre cleaner. According to documentary evidence we obtained, the cleaner proceeded to laugh at the boy after the assault took place. He was later dismissed.

In April we revealed that detention centre guards have been accused of multiple physical and verbal assaults of children. In one incident, a guard hit a little girl on the back of the head so hard, “that the blow caused the child to fall to the ground”.

Wilson Security, who employ the guards, told me back then that they were investigating the incident. Despite repeated requests, they’ve given me no update on what has happened since. There are also no standardised working with children checks for local employees, who constitute over 50% of the workforce.

[h=2]The utterly unsafe detention environment[/h] 909773f4-4bf6-4a7c-b072-f11f92a6b3fa-460x276.jpeg Children cower in the shade to escape the intense heat. Photograph: AnonymousA few months ago I got wind of the fact an unexploded wartime bomb was found within metres of the children’s classroom inside the detention centre. It was removed, but those working inside are concerned the site was not properly assessed for unexploded ordinance before the Australian government started sending asylum seekers over.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. A UNHCR inspection visit warned of numerous examples of living conditions in the centre, which it said “raise serious issues about their compatibility with international human rights law”. Here’s just one sentence on the scenes inside: “cramped conditions with very little privacy in very hot conditions, with some asylum-seekers sleeping on mattresses on the ground”.

The UNHCR also told the Australian government back in November to stop sending kids and families over to the centre because of the appalling situation, but hundreds – including unaccompanied minors – have been sent over since.

If Jolie needs convincing, she could look at these shocking photographs of children cowering in the shade to escape the intense heat, and playing with rocks in the centre – as there are no toys.

[h=2]The high rates of depression, self-harm and blood born disease[/h]Back in May, I got hold of a leaked report that documented the state of mental health for those in detention. It said that seven instances of self-harm occurred every month in detention, that nearly all pregnant women on the island had extraordinarily high levels of depression. Kids under 11 weren’t screened for certain diseases, raising the possibility that up to half of them were carrying latent tuberculosis.

For some women it’s too much. I’ve reported three instances of pregnant women requesting abortions because they do not want to raise their children in detention on Nauru or face the uncertain future of life on the outside.

In June a 32-year old woman was evacuated from the centre, after she tried to take her own life.

[h=2]A judicial system on the island that has disintegrated[/h]You might have thought that the island’s legal officers could intervene and improve the conditions inside detention, or at least ensure a fair trial for dozens of male asylum seekers kept in a separate compound, who are accused of riotous behaviour following unrest in one of the centres last year.

Unfortunately, the island’s only magistrate was dismissed by the government. Its chief justice had his visa cancelled earlier in the year in what he described as “an abuse of the rule of law”.

On top of this, five opposition MPs (in a parliament of 19 members) were suspended back in June, after three of them spoke to foreign media about the state of the judiciary.

It may well take an intervention from one the world’s biggest Hollywood names to shed further light on what is happening on Nauru, but the picture we’ve got so far would indicate clear violations of international law and in the views of some could represent a crime against humanity.

Perhaps the more important question to ask is whether a visit from Angelina Jolie would have any affect on the Australian public’s view that offshore detention is the most “decent, humane and compassionate” way of dealing with people fleeing persecution.

Apologists, do you have any comments on this article? It contains some fairly shocking allegations

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/14/please-angelina-jolie-accept-the-invitation-to-visit-nauru

Please, Angelina Jolie, accept the invitation to visit Nauru

And shame if she doesn't visit. She of all people has the power to make a difference

Are these allegations, or immutable, proveable facts? Remember that The Guardian hates the Abbott government. Even if true, are the incidents worse than might be found in comparable situations, other refugee camps around the world, or even in the general community, possibly even less where child abuse is concerned.

Oh sorry, 'ere ya go cobber, knock yourself out

Despite reports in the Australian media, Angelina Jolie isn't visiting Nauru – but she should.

Jolie – who co-chaired the first global summit to end sexual violence in conflict and whose humanitarian work in the field was praised by the British foreign secretary William Hague as “enormous[ly] transformative” – should take up the offer from Nauru's government.

She would be in a relatively unique position. The running of Australian-funded immigration detention centres on Nauru is cloaked in secrecy, so much so that both the UN and Amnesty International have recently been prevented from visiting the centres.

Only a few months ago the Nauruan government raised the price for a media visa application fee by 40 times. It now costs a journalist $8,000 just to apply for a Nauruan visa.

While the Nauruan government might claim their treatment of asylum seekers and refugees is indicative of the “world's best practice”, the facts simply don’t support this.

Here are four reasons Angelina might want to take up the offer to visit.

Asylum seeker children in detention physically, sexually and verbally assaulted by staff

A number of Guardian Australia investigations have revealed that a number of the 208 asylum seeker children, transferred to detention on Nauru by the Australian government, have been subject to various forms of abuse.

Last month we revealed that a teenage boy was sexually assaulted by a detention centre cleaner. According to documentary evidence we obtained, the cleaner proceeded to laugh at the boy after the assault took place. He was later dismissed.

In April we revealed that detention centre guards have been accused of multiple physical and verbal assaults of children. In one incident, a guard hit a little girl on the back of the head so hard, “that the blow caused the child to fall to the ground”.

Wilson Security, who employ the guards, told me back then that they were investigating the incident. Despite repeated requests, they’ve given me no update on what has happened since. There are also no standardised working with children checks for local employees, who constitute over 50% of the workforce.

The utterly unsafe detention environment

909773f4-4bf6-4a7c-b072-f11f92a6b3fa-460x276.jpeg Children cower in the shade to escape the intense heat. Photograph: AnonymousA few months ago I got wind of the fact an unexploded wartime bomb was found within metres of the children’s classroom inside the detention centre. It was removed, but those working inside are concerned the site was not properly assessed for unexploded ordinance before the Australian government started sending asylum seekers over.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. A UNHCR inspection visit warned of numerous examples of living conditions in the centre, which it said “raise serious issues about their compatibility with international human rights law”. Here’s just one sentence on the scenes inside: “cramped conditions with very little privacy in very hot conditions, with some asylum-seekers sleeping on mattresses on the ground”.

The UNHCR also told the Australian government back in November to stop sending kids and families over to the centre because of the appalling situation, but hundreds – including unaccompanied minors – have been sent over since.

If Jolie needs convincing, she could look at these shocking photographs of children cowering in the shade to escape the intense heat, and playing with rocks in the centre – as there are no toys.

The high rates of depression, self-harm and blood born disease

Back in May, I got hold of a leaked report that documented the state of mental health for those in detention. It said that seven instances of self-harm occurred every month in detention, that nearly all pregnant women on the island had extraordinarily high levels of depression. Kids under 11 weren’t screened for certain diseases, raising the possibility that up to half of them were carrying latent tuberculosis.

For some women it’s too much. I’ve reported three instances of pregnant women requesting abortions because they do not want to raise their children in detention on Nauru or face the uncertain future of life on the outside.

In June a 32-year old woman was evacuated from the centre, after she tried to take her own life.

A judicial system on the island that has disintegrated

You might have thought that the island’s legal officers could intervene and improve the conditions inside detention, or at least ensure a fair trial for dozens of male asylum seekers kept in a separate compound, who are accused of riotous behaviour following unrest in one of the centres last year.

Unfortunately, the island’s only magistrate was dismissed by the government. Its chief justice had his visa cancelled earlier in the year in what he described as “an abuse of the rule of law”.

On top of this, five opposition MPs (in a parliament of 19 members) were suspended back in June, after three of them spoke to foreign media about the state of the judiciary.

It may well take an intervention from one the world’s biggest Hollywood names to shed further light on what is happening on Nauru, but the picture we’ve got so far would indicate clear violations of international law and in the views of some could represent a crime against humanity.

Perhaps the more important question to ask is whether a visit from Angelina Jolie would have any affect on the Australian public’s view that offshore detention is the most “decent, humane and compassionate” way of dealing with people fleeing persecution.

As I said on another post, these are not 'facts' but 'allegations' by a newspaper that hates the Abbott government, and whilst always printing negative things, would never print anything positive.

And how do we know that conditions are worse in Nauru compared to other refugee camps around the world?

First rule of Lib Club: ignore

Second rule of Lib Club: deny

As I said on another post, these are not 'facts' but 'allegations' by a newspaper that hates the Abbott government, and whilst always printing negative things, would never print anything positive.

And how do we know that conditions are worse in Nauru compared to other refugee camps around the world?

Are these allegations, or immutable, proveable facts? Remember that The Guardian hates the Abbott government. Even if true, are the incidents worse than might be found in comparable situations, other refugee camps around the world, or even in the general community, possibly even less where child abuse is concerned.

True, they're not fond of Abbott or Morrison, but they are also highly critical of ALP's asylum seeker policy.

A lot of the allegations, if true, would indict ALP and Libs together: its human rights violations The Guardian is trying to investigate

https://newmatilda.com/2014/07/10/scholars-6-nations-condemn-abbott-refugees

The list of people 'unimpressed' by this current govt's refugee policy grows longer every day

https://newmatilda.com/2014/07/10/scholars-6-nations-condemn-abbott-refugees

Scholars from universities across the country and around the world have signed a joint letter condeming the Australian Government's treatment of refugees. Chris Graham reports.

More than 130 academics from universities across the globe – including major universities in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Switzerland, the United States and Hong Kong - have added their names to the growing list of eminent people condemning the Australian government’s treatment of asylum seekers.

The joint statement, issued earlier this evening to New Matilda and co-signed by 137 scholars working in the field of humanities and social sciences, delivers a scathing rebuke to Prime Minister Tony Abbott over his treatment of asylum seekers, his use of crude slogans such as ‘stop the boats’ and his exploitation of xenophobia for political gain.

It follows a joint statement earlier this week by 53 legal scholars, who described the return of 41 Tamil asylum seekers to Sri Lanka as illegal.

This is the first joint petition to attract international condemnation.

In particular, the scholars were scathing of the Prime Minister’s comments around the acts of self-harm earlier this week of almost a dozen asylum seeker women on Christmas Island.

The academics call on the Abbott Government to “affirm a vision of the nation that is committed to non-negotiable ethical principles that override the mere fulfillment of election slogans such as ‘stop the boats.’”

Abbott late yesterday attacked the women – mothers who were protesting over the conditions in which their children are being forced to live – telling media that

"no Australian government should be subjected to the spectacle" of people threatening self-harm.

"If true, it is a harrowing tale," the ABC reported Abbott as saying. "[but] this is not going to be a government which has our policy driven by people who are attempting to hold us over a moral barrel. We won't be driven by that.”

"I don't believe any Australian would want us to capitulate to moral blackmail."

The scholars, led by Professor Suvendrini Perera from Curtin University in Western Australia and Professor Joseph Pugliese from Macquarie University in Sydney, describe the Prime Minister’s comments as “a betrayal of the responsibility for ethical leadership”.

Joint-Statement2.jpg

“As academics working in the Humanities and Social Sciences, we are dismayed to hear our Prime Minister deny the ethical responsibility of this nation to adhere to the tenets and conventions on asylum seekers that are founded on moral bases, and which we as a nation have signed,” they write.

“The government’s mandate to ‘stop the boats’, if it is such, does not exempt the nation from its moral obligations.

“We find the political show of contempt for the moral profoundly disturbing in the context of increasing self-harm by refugees, including children, in Australia’s detention centres, attempts at suicide by refugee mothers in despair at the plight of their children and other traumatic incidents.

“In these crisis situations, in which lives are stake, the moral is not something that is expendable.”

The scholars point to the United Nation’s 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, of which Australia is a signatory, which they describe as an effort to “stop the subjection of refugees to political opportunism and xenophobia”.

“These historical lessons must not be forgotten. Rather, they should impel us to adhere to [the] very principles and ethics on which the convention was based.

“As Humanities and Social Sciences scholars who teach and research practices of ethics, values and justice as constitutive of a civic and just society, we have to question a leadership whose vision for the nation is not founded on a moral base.

“We call on the polity to affirm a vision of the nation that is committed to non- negotiable ethical principles that override the mere fulfillment of election slogans such as ‘stop the boats’.

“Such political sloganeering amounts to nothing more than a betrayal of the responsibility for ethical leadership.”

The list of scholars who have attached their names to the document are:

1. Professor Suvendrini Perera, Curtin University

2. Professor Joseph Pugliese, Macquarie University

3. Dr Keyvan Allahyari, University of Melbourne

4. Dr Andrew Alter, Macquarie University

5. Dr Avard, University of Adelaide

6. Dr Jeannine Baker, Macquarie University

7. Associate Professor Barbara Baird, Flinders University

8. Dr Iqbal Barkat, Macquarie University

9. Ms Valentina Bau. Macquarie University

10. Dr Nicholas Birns, New School, New York City, USA

11. Dr Helen Bones, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand

12. Ms Emily Booker, Macquarie University

13. Professor Linda Briskman, Swinburne University

14. Dr Brooks, Australian Catholic University

15. Dr Caragh Brosnan, University of Newcastle

16. Dr Rachel Buchanan, University of Newcastle

17. Ms Rosalie Bunn, University of Newcastle

18. Dr Burns, New School, New York City, USA

19. Associate Professor Nina Burridge, University of Technology, Sydney

20. Dr Jon Burtt, Macquarie University

21. Dr Castagna, University of New South Wales

22. Dr Amy Chapman, Australian Catholic University

23. Dr Donna Coates, University of Calgary, Canada

24. Dr Sharon Cooper, University of Newcastle

25. Mr James Cox, Macquarie University

26. Professor Leigh Dale, Wollongong University

27. Dr Kirsten Damb, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong

28. Professor Margaret Davies, Flinders University

29. Ms Victoria Dawson, Macquarie University

30. Dr De Krester, University of Sydney

31. Dr Marie Delofski, Macquarie University

32. Dr Clemence Due, University of Adelaide

33. Mr Nicholas Dynon, Macquarie University

34. Associate Professor Mark Evans, Macquarie University

35. Ms Sandy Evans, OAM, Macquarie University

36. Dr Falconer, University of Technology, Sydney

37. Associate Professor Joseph Fernandez, Curtin University

38. Professor Carole Ferrier, University of Queensland

39. Dr Lucy Fisk, University of Technology

40. Mr David-Jack Fletcher, Macquarie University

41. Dr Daniella J Forster, University of Newcastle

42. Dr Genoni, Curtin University

43. Dr Maria Giannacopoulos, Flinders University

44. Dr Liz Giuffre, Macquarie University

45. Ms Shruti Ghosh, Macquarie University

46. Dr Gonsalves, University of New South Wales

47. Dr Kristina Gottschall, Charles Sturt University

48. Mr Pat Grant, Macquarie University

49. Dr Griffith, University of Wollongong

50. Dr Kalvero Gulson, University of New South Wales

51. Professor Bridget Griffin-Foley, Macquarie University

52. Professor Sneja Gunew, University of British Columbia, Canada

53. Dr Lisa Hartley, Curtin University

54. Ms Tereza Hendlova, Macquarie University

55. Dr Annie Herro, University of Sydney

56. Ms Catharine Hoad, Macquarie University

57. Dr Hoang, University of Adelaide

58. Dr Hospodar, University of Sydney

59. Dr Deborah Hunn, Curtin University

60. Dr Maria Elena Indelicato, University of Sydney

61. Dr Michael Jackline, University of Wollongong

62. Professor Bruce Johnson, Macquarie University

63. Dr Kate Johnstone, Deakin University

64. Dr Claire Jones, University of Western Australia

65. Mr Brent Keogh, Macquarie University

66. Dr Catherine Kevin, Flinders University

67. Dr Susie Khamis, Macquarie University

68. Dr Sabine Krajewski, Macquarie University

69. Ms Jillian Kramer, Macquarie University

70. Dr Thor Kerr, Curtin University

71. Dr Martin Lear, University of Geneva, Switzerland

72. Dr Tony Lewis, Macquarie University

73. Associate Professor Anthony Langlois, Flinders University

74. Professor Bronwyn Levy, University of Queensland

75. Ms Natalie Lewandowski, Macquarie University

76. Dr Julie-Anne Long, Macquarie University

77. Professor Catharine Lumby, Macquarie University

78. Ms Siobhan Lyons, Macquarie University

79. Dr Willa McDonald, Macquarie University

80. Associate Professor Elizabeth McMahon, University of New South Wales

81. Dr Therese Macdermott, Macquarie University

82. Dr Virginia Madsen, Macquarie University

83. Ms Kate Maguire-Rosier, Macquarie University

84. Professor Nick Mansfield, Macquarie University

85. Dr Paul Marks, Flinders University

86. Dr Karen Maras, University of New South Wales

87. Dr Nicole Matthews, Macquarie University

88. Dr Wade Marynowsky, Macquarie University

89. Dr Bonita Mason, Curtin University

90. Professor Martin Mills, University of Queensland

91. Dr Helen Merrick, Curtin University

92. Dr Marilyn Metta, Curtin University

93. Professor Kathryn Millard, Macquarie University

94. Dr Nicole Mockler, University of Newcastle

95. Ms Tanya Muscat, Macquarie University

96. Dr Tom Murray, Macquarie University

97. Dr Bhuva Narayan, University of Technology, Sydney

98. Dr Catherine Noshe, Monash University

99. Associate Professor Brigitta Olubas, University of New South Wales

100. Mr Fereydoun Pelarke, Macquarie University

101. Dr Kristen Phillips, Curtin University

102. Dr Fiona Polach, Memorial University, Canada

103. Dr Shaun Rawolle, Deakin University

104. Dr Jayne Regan, Australian National University

105. Dr Adrian Renzo, Macquarie University

106. Dr Rachel Roberston, Curtin University

107. Dr Kate Rossmanith, Macquarie University

108. Dr Brigid Rooney, University of Sydney

109. Dr Rowe, University of Adelaide

110. Dr Phyllis Sakinofsky, Macquarie University

111. Associate Professor Sue Saltmarsh, Australian Catholic University

112. Dr David Saltmarsh, Macquarie University

113. Dr Larissa Sandy, Flinders University

114. Dr John Scannell, Macquarie University

115. Professor Nan Seuffert, University of Wollongong

116. Professor Paul Sharrad, University of Wollongong

117. Dr Jane Simon, Macquarie University

118. Dr Timothy Steains, University of Sydney

119. Dr Anna Szorenyi, University of Adelaide

120. Dr Katarina Tuinamuana, Australian Catholic University

121. Dr Jane Singleton, University of Sydney

122. Dr Erica Southgate, University of Newcastle

123. Dr Liza-Mare Syron, Macquarie University

124. Dr Elaine Tay, Curtin University

125. Dr Thompson, La Trobe University

126. Ms Sharon Tofler, University of Sydney

127. Dr Lorraine Towers, University of Sydney

128. Dr Ly Tran, Deakin University

129. Dr Antonio Traverso, Curtin University

130. Dr Von Rijswijk, University of Technology, Sydney

131. Associate Professor Joan Wardrope, Curtin University

132. Dr R Scott Webster, Deakin University

133. Dr Tania Webster, Monash University

134. Dr David Whish-Wilson, Curtin University

135. Dr Jessica White, Independent Scholar

136. Dr Deborah Zion, Monash University

137. Dr Jan Zwar, Macquarie University

In any kind of environment like a camp, prison, school, etc, there will always be allegations and, yes, true, incidents. So people are suffering from mental illness. Is that unusual compared to the rest of society? How do we know that these people were not suffering from mental illness before they came to Nauru? Same for the incidents of other illness, although in that case, I would like to see everybody who comes to Australia screened for them.

Assuming you had the power to run the refugee policy, just how would you do it so that there are zero incidents of abuse, violence, mental and physical illness? Even if all refugees and asylum seekers were immediately moved into the community, they could still suffer as a result of their past experiences.

There have been plenty of incidents in Australia where refugees have committed major crimes. Should we have an investigation into those crimes to see if there is anything unusual? Or do we just accept that in any community there will be a certain percentage of 'nasty' incidents?

Apologist.

In any kind of environment like a camp, prison, school, etc, there will always be allegations and, yes, true, incidents. So people are suffering from mental illness. Is that unusual compared to the rest of society? How do we know that these people were not suffering from mental illness before they came to Nauru? Same for the incidents of other illness, although in that case, I would like to see everybody who comes to Australia screened for them.

Assuming you had the power to run the refugee policy, just how would you do it so that there are zero incidents of abuse, violence, mental and physical illness? Even if all refugees and asylum seekers were immediately moved into the community, they could still suffer as a result of their past experiences.

There have been plenty of incidents in Australia where refugees have committed major crimes. Should we have an investigation into those crimes to see if there is anything unusual? Or do we just accept that in any community there will be a certain percentage of 'nasty' incidents?

Apologist.

As you are yourself. New Matilda says it all, another biased left wing journal full of self-hatred for the West. Yes, I had a quick look at the web page and as soon as I saw the anti Israeli, anti Abbott, etc. I knew what it was about. 150 academics who hate Abbott's policies? So what? If a Liberal minister makes a visit to a university in Australia, they are subject to violent demonstration, typical leftie fascism.

As you are yourself. New Matilda says it all, another biased left wing journal full of self-hatred for the West. Yes, I had a quick look at the web page and as soon as I saw the anti Israeli, anti Abbott, etc. I knew what it was about. 150 academics who hate Abbott's policies? So what? If a Liberal minister makes a visit to a university in Australia, they are subject to violent demonstration, typical leftie fascism.

Like I said,

First rule of Lib Club: ignore

Second rule of Lib Club: deny