Another Shark Attack in NSW

Stuju

Summary | AAP | ABC | Photos

Tuesday April 8, 09:56 AM Surfer killed by shark off NSW coast

A 16-year-old surfer has died after being attacked by a shark off the NSW north coast.

The boy died at North Wall Beach at Ballina after suffering large bites to the leg and body, a Surf Life Saving NSW spokesman says.

The attack took place around 8.30am (AEST) while the boy was bodyboarding with a friend.

"Basically we know that shortly after eight o'clock this morning, two boys were surfing, or bodysurfing on bodyboards, adjacent to the North Wall at Ballina," Surf Life Saving spokesman Stephen Leahy told AAP.

"Shortly after eight o'clock one of the boys indicated that he was in trouble to his mate, his mate went over to help and found that he had been attacked.

"He brought him up on to the shore, but unfortunately the boy died due to his injuries."

Mr Leahy said all beaches in Ballina had been closed as a precaution.

Another Surf Life Saving NSW spokesman, Craig Roberts, said the boy suffered two large bites, one to the leg and one to the body.

The shark had not been spotted since, and crews were out looking for it.

"The patient came in with another gentleman and lifeguards attended the scene," Mr Roberts told ABC radio.

"As you can imagine it was quite a distressful situation.

"He was unconscious and the lifeguards and ambulance officers had some severe haemorrhage to deal with."

Mr Roberts said lifeguards performed well in the traumatic situation.

"Certainly it's one of those things that you're trained for but hopefully it never happens as well," he said.

"The lifeguards did an excellent job and worked with the ambulance and the police service, but obviously it is a traumatic experience."

The boy was surfing 50 metres out from shore at the time of the attack, he said.

Reports that a second man was attacked but survived have not been confirmed.

Mr Roberts said the beach was normally patrolled, but crews had not started patrolling for the day.

Surfers' websites say North Wall beach, just north of the Richmond River estuary, is popular, but they warn of the danger from sharks.

However Mr Roberts said it was not common for sharks to be present off North Wall beach at this time of year.

"Earlier on in the year there was a very heightened risk in the Byron (Bay) area in which we put some additional measures with jet skis and helicopters in the area," he said.

"But at this time of year it's generally not a high prone (high prone) season for the sharks."

Lifesavers will get a full report on the incident at 9.30am (AEST).

I know these attacks don't happen every day - but when they do its such a shame & such a waste of a life. I really feel for the family & friends of this young lad.

Surfer killed by shark off NSW coast - Yahoo!7 News

Summary | AAP | ABC | Photos

Tuesday April 8, 09:56 AM Surfer killed by shark off NSW coast

A 16-year-old surfer has died after being attacked by a shark off the NSW north coast.

The boy died at North Wall Beach at Ballina after suffering large bites to the leg and body, a Surf Life Saving NSW spokesman says.

The attack took place around 8.30am (AEST) while the boy was bodyboarding with a friend.

"Basically we know that shortly after eight o'clock this morning, two boys were surfing, or bodysurfing on bodyboards, adjacent to the North Wall at Ballina," Surf Life Saving spokesman Stephen Leahy told AAP.

"Shortly after eight o'clock one of the boys indicated that he was in trouble to his mate, his mate went over to help and found that he had been attacked.

"He brought him up on to the shore, but unfortunately the boy died due to his injuries."

Mr Leahy said all beaches in Ballina had been closed as a precaution.

Another Surf Life Saving NSW spokesman, Craig Roberts, said the boy suffered two large bites, one to the leg and one to the body.

The shark had not been spotted since, and crews were out looking for it.

"The patient came in with another gentleman and lifeguards attended the scene," Mr Roberts told ABC radio.

"As you can imagine it was quite a distressful situation.

"He was unconscious and the lifeguards and ambulance officers had some severe haemorrhage to deal with."

Mr Roberts said lifeguards performed well in the traumatic situation.

"Certainly it's one of those things that you're trained for but hopefully it never happens as well," he said.

"The lifeguards did an excellent job and worked with the ambulance and the police service, but obviously it is a traumatic experience."

The boy was surfing 50 metres out from shore at the time of the attack, he said.

Reports that a second man was attacked but survived have not been confirmed.

Mr Roberts said the beach was normally patrolled, but crews had not started patrolling for the day.

Surfers' websites say North Wall beach, just north of the Richmond River estuary, is popular, but they warn of the danger from sharks.

However Mr Roberts said it was not common for sharks to be present off North Wall beach at this time of year.

"Earlier on in the year there was a very heightened risk in the Byron (Bay) area in which we put some additional measures with jet skis and helicopters in the area," he said.

"But at this time of year it's generally not a high prone (high prone) season for the sharks."

Lifesavers will get a full report on the incident at 9.30am (AEST).

I know these attacks don't happen every day - but when they do its such a shame & such a waste of a life. I really feel for the family & friends of this young lad.

Surfer killed by shark off NSW coast - Yahoo!7 News

I'm sorry to hear the news will put on TV. Is Ballina near you.

He's poor Famliy

John

Guest claire&fred

That's so sad. Only 16. What a waste of a life.

My mum came back from Perth yesterday. She was staying with my sister and they frequent Mullalloo beach. They got down there one day and saw all the lifeguards running about. A group of people standing by the sea and a helicopter buzzing about. Turned out someone swimming had seen a shark swim under them. So water was cleared straight away. Fortunately though it turned out to be a less agressive type of shark that would apparantly "kiss you to death". It scared my mum though as my sister was desperate to get her in the water and she did not want to go in at all.

At the same time there was an English family who had jumped out of their car and shouted at each other "last one in.......". They could not understand why they were the only ones in the water until all the Lifeguards started shouting at them and dragging them out the water. They laughed afterwards.

Claire

Guest jonny.co@tiscali.co.uk

hi julie.

my god that is so tragic and scarey. my thoughts are with the family at this sad time.

love nic x:no:

Such terrible news words fail you, poor young lad :no:

This is a worry , the sea in Australia is one of the reasons you go, as it is so beautiful but the dangers !!! Not only because of the sharks and jelly fish but also the rip curl, my son got caught by the waves on Bondi Beach but he is a strong swimmer and managed to hold onto the bottom of the sea bed my heart went over when he didnt come back up after the wave went and then a little while later up he came !!!

Ballina is only about 50 minutes from us. On news it was saying that there is now shark nets or anything in this area but to environmentalists saying that it will harm other wildlife. Maybe they will think about doing it now that this poor boy has lost his life.

Em x

Guest The Riddler
Ballina is only about 50 minutes from us. On news it was saying that there is now shark nets or anything in this area but to environmentalists saying that it will harm other wildlife. Maybe they will think about doing it now that this poor boy has lost his life.

Em x

I hope not. It is the sharks environment after all.

As far as playing the odds this kid pretty much did everything wrong imo.

From the time he was in the surf, to the proximity of an estuary (particularly after storms) which also equates to poor visibility. He ticked all the boxes.

(And boo to the Herald Sun for putting a picture of a docile Sand Tiger above their Bull shark caption hence increasing the ignorance.)

Archived