Do you have a to do list before you migrate?

hawkmoon1704

Hi everyone, so we have been granted our visas but now I wonder if anyone has a to do list or a link to one that we can follow. I've found one in another forum (the forum that shant be named) and its quite good but has anyone else made one for themselves that theyd like to share.

Maybe there is already a thread on here...can someone bump it up or post a link.

Thanks very much guys...we need to arrive by March 5th 2015

Hawkmoon.

Open a bank account. Most of the big Oz banks allow you to online and just pick up the cards when you arrive

Book flights. The earlier the better as they get more expensive as time goes on

Arrange short term accommodation for when you first arrive

Start researching jobs

Start looking at areas you might want to live

Save money. The more you can bring the better

Buy the Emmigrate to Australia and New Zealand magazine (think thats what its called!) comes out monthly, and in the bacl of there every month is a to do list for example 6 months prior, then 1 month, 1 week. Really helpful

When my visa came through I only had three and a half weeks to prepare for emigration. One of the biggest problems was that I had 15 open bottles of whisky that needed finishing. I managed, but it did make it harder to do any other preparation.

It was the most weird 3 weeks of my life. I had to find a removalist, book shipping, book insurance, get flights, resign, seek permission to give less than 4 weeks notice, lose all my rubbish, give some stuff away, sell a car, sell CDs and records and various other stuff, buy cases for luggage, book cleaners, give notice my landlord, say goodbye to people (in my last week, I visited England, Wales and Northern Ireland plus, of course, Scotland where I lived), cancel utilities, cancel Sky TV, notify council to take me off the council tax list, try to spend saved Nectar points (Champagne every night - which made the whisky task harder). That's just the stuff I remember. Once you are committed to going, it is stressful and it is better to compress the stress into a short time than a longer time. I think the tasks would just expand to fill the time available.

Archived