50days and counting

Byrneuk

OK the stop clock is now on the count down and with only 50 days until my Hubby and Myself make the big move to Sydney just wondered if anyone had any advise or useful tips from their own experiences.

We arrive in Sydney in August.

Thanks all,

ByrneUK

Have you been to Sydney before? Do you know where you will be living, or staying, when you arrive?

August is still winter here, and depending what time you arrive, and what the weather is like, you might find it a little chill, so don't throw away your winter woolies!

Of course,.it may well be pleasantly mild and sunny. Looking out of the train at Parramatta, I can,see people in shorts and T shirts, and others wrapped up. Its probably about 21 degrees now, just past noon, but it can be chill in the mornings and at night. Homes can be cold too, with no central heating.

there are still.flowers in bloom, although a warm May may have fooled them!?

It looks nice outside, very green. At Toongabbie now. I see all the different suburbs, and wonder what they are like?

Sydney spreads out a long way. I'm going to Penrith, 55 kilometers from where I live in Surry Hills, close to the City. 70 mins on this train, tho fast one does it in 50. Be able to see The Blue Mts soon, which basically start just past Penrith and Emu Plains.

Arrive in August with eight months of spring,and summer ahead of you!

Thanks Mary for your lovely reply.

We have both lived in Sydney at different times but it is still a huge "adventure". I will be working in Sydney Childrens which is in Randwick so will be looking for accomodation in that area.

Looking forward to seeing the Australian Summer as you said we will be arriving in Winter and so that will be two winters for us this year however it is 20 degrees here now at it is our Summer so might not be too much of a shock!!!!

Thanks Again

Eat copious amounts of decent curry at your favourite Indian. Also bacon if you're a carnivore, and Sunday roasts at your favourite gastro pubs. Go and see some old things like castles. If you aren't bringing all your CDs over, rip them onto an external hard drive. Steal, I mean save, everything you might need from your work's shared drive. Make sure you've scanned old family photos onto your hard drive too. Cuddle some hamsters, hedgehogs, badgers and robins.

I had Thai in Parramatta tonight, in Church St, and it felt a bit chill out. All the restaurants had their heaters going in the outside areas. My friend did not want to sit outside even with the heaters.

Driving home on Victoria Road was actually pleasant at 11 pm, unlike Parra Rd six hours earlier. Sydney traffic is often worse on weekends than the Mon to Fri "No Rush" hour.

So if u are working in Randwick, try and find place walking distance to hospital. Have you a partner working somewhere else? Bus to city from there is 30 mins I guess.

I don't mind the Indian food in.Sydney. If its cooked by Indians, or Bangla Deshis, and the place is full of Indian taxi drivers, I,assume it is authentic! I like Chicken Sagwalla?? Plus there are loads of other places around. I had Czech the other night in Glebe. Casserole and dumplings and great Czech beer, Czech staff too! & now I found that Cricketers pub in Fitzroy St, Surry Hills does.best steak i've had for ten bucks on Mon nights. Plus Thai place over road does two dish plate for 8$,.& there is plethora of Leb places. Plenty of places in Randwick and down on Anzac Pde on the other end of UNSW from Randwick. I've only become adventurous since I came to OZ!

You must be so excited.

my husband and I just landed in Sydney over a week ago now. Must say loving it, bit tired, as so much to get done. We have already started work and are looking for a rental. Once we find an apartment I feel like we will relax a bit more........having said that have enjoyed a few cocktails at darling harbour, had a couple of dinners out also seen so much already, just having walked around areas trying to narrow down areas to live.

Any advice?..................try and make sure before you leave that you get a few days off to relax by yourselves. We found that everything took a lot longer than thought, like sorting shipping stuff, cleaning, emptying house. Consider staying in a hotel for a few days before you fly, as then you will have had everything done and you can just relax, so you can hit the ground running when you land.

feel free to Message me if you have any questions. Hopefully I can answer them.

ps I wish I hadn't used space in our suitcases for our winter jackets, as we have just been wearing cardigans, jumpers and windbreaker jackets.............who knows if we will need them.

We also arrive 9th August so our packing and getting rid of stuff is in full flow for the container is arriving to pack us up on 29th July.

Stopping in Sydney for a few days when we arrive but planning on Newcastle to live.....

No jobs yet, no rental yet, just a holiday let for 4 weeks .......

Oh and there are 4 of us (kids 8 and 11) on a 175 visa, VERY nervous about it all but looking forward to the move....

We arrive 28th August - have a 3 week holiday let during which time we need to secure a school for our son, find a rental near the school and then hopefully find jobs!!

Currently car-booting everything we don't want to take, I've culled my wardrobe, and am booking up all my weekends with things and seeing friends.

So much to fit into the next few weeks!!

Hi Byrne, I am here with my girlfriend (28 & 30)and we have only been in Sydney since March. My girlfriend works at Sydney Childrens in Randwick and we live just down the road in Maroubra. Maroubra is decent value, its probably as cheap as you will get if you want to be near the beach and work. About 20-25 mins bus to the Children's Hospital, 30-40 mins on a bus into the city. The beach is nice - not too busy and very big and the waves are a decent size for beginners (Bondi waves are too big for me). You can get away without a car in Maroubra but after a few months you might find you really need it. Apart from Maroubra any of the other eastern suburb are all nice (Bondi, Bronte, Clovelly, Randwick, Coogee) but you would probably pay abit more in each of those.

Anyway get in touch if you have any questions or when you arrive. We want to make more friends so would be happy to meet up

Thanks

Dave (and Orla)

Thanks everyone for the great info..it looks like a trip to the curry mile is on my must do for the last 30 days.

The sun is shining here today which is typical will probably be the best UK summer on record (LOL)

We arrive 28th August - have a 3 week holiday let during which time we need to secure a school for our son, find a rental near the school and then hopefully find jobs!!

Currently car-booting everything we don't want to take, I've culled my wardrobe, and am booking up all my weekends with things and seeing friends.

So much to fit into the next few weeks!!

Sounds very simillar to us....GUMTREE is my fav friend. Where will you be living?

Sounds very simillar to us....GUMTREE is my fav friend. Where will you be living?

We're heading to Brisbane. No jobs and only 3 weeks accommodation set up!!!! I'm terrified/excited :-)

the nice thing was waking up this morning and being able to say 'we're off to Oz NEXT MONTH'

Archived