One Way Flight Insurance

tina0101

This may seem like a really dumb question but I have been looking online and lots of companies mention one-way insurance for flights, but when I click through everything wants me to put a return date!!

I dont want to put in a pretend return date, in case it counts as incorrect information and invalidates the policy.

Can anyone recommend a company? I thought STA may be a good shout, but it cant do that online apparently.

TIA

What would you be insuring against? Normally travel insurance covers things like sickness, accident cover, theft, lost baggage, etc. It also covers missed flights, but you won't miss your flight. You'll have packed up everything you own and will have stayed the night in an airport hotel. You won't sleep and you'll have been waiting at checkin for two hours before it opens. The rest of the stuff does not apply since you are not going on holiday.

We organised our insurance through the travel agents, which was possibly an expensive way to do it. I think it was only valid for about 2-3 days after we arrived.

I disagree with Quinkla, although you don't plan to miss your flight etc you are guaranteeing incase a family member gets ill and you need to delay, lost baggage etc.

I felt it was worth it.

I disagree with Quinkla, although you don't plan to miss your flight etc you are guaranteeing incase a family member gets ill and you need to delay, lost baggage etc.

Fair enough, but if you're emigrating, you pretty much have to get the flight even if a family member is unwell. Then let the airline decide whether to allow boarding - if they deny boarding it is their responsibility to rearrange flights for you at no additional charge. If you do all have to miss the flight due to illness, you will all be homeless and stranded with no stuff. All the insurance would do is reimburse yu for the missed flights. You'd still be paying all the incidental costs, accommodation, walk-up fares for new flights, etc. These costs would far exceed the refund you might get.

As for lost baggage, I have only ever had bags delayed by a day or so. The insurance would be so you could buy your holiday glad rags and get on with partying. But with a migration flight, you'd just be buying stuff you'd need anyway as you settle into new lives. The first few days are constant shopping, chores, etc. and buying a change of underwear whilst you're in the shopping centre would be no biggy.

Obviously, you pay your money and you make your choice. But I can't see value in insuring a migration flight.

Archived