passport renewal

the hutchies

can any one tell me how easy it is to renew your british passport in oz?

i only have two years left on mine and the kids, we had our visa put in late 06 and activated it 07. we are still in the uk waiting for the sale of our house to go thro. we are hoping to go to oz july/aug but would like to still have uk passport for a few more years so would i be able to renew it easily when the two years are up or renew it now? and if i renewed it now what about my visa would it be transfered to my new passport.

thanks for any replies

lisa xx:wubclub:

Renewing your UK passport here in Australia is easy - you just have to send it off to the British High Commission with your old passport. Only difficulty is getting a photographer to make the right size passport pics because the standard Australia Post passport pics are different dimensions - however the website for passport renewals tells you which photographers can do the job properly. Then you have to take out a mortgage to pay for the darned thing:arghh:

I dont know what happens with your visa - I would assume you can get it transferred to your new passport but someone will know for sure.

Just thought - you will need verification from someone who has known you for 2 years to say that the picture really is you - I dont know if that would be a problem for you or not and I dont know how people actually get around that one if they know absolutely nobody here.

i do know someone in oz they are both teachers and they have lived in oz for about 20 years i only met them last year tho, also we have friends who moved to oz 2 years ago who we have known for 13 yrs would they be able to verify photos.

how much does it cost out there to renew british passport?

ta! lisa

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jaynie

I just got mine renewed and it cost $307, the re-entry visa cost $120. Not sure what they charge for a transfer of visa and they may only put on the residual time you have left on the original, a new one lasts for 5 yrs. Also you need your passport photos signed by someone in a profession and not just a friend, I had mine done by my Doctor, but you can get it done by a policeman or JP, you might have to look into it a bit more before you leave the UK with the passport office over there, if you do get a new passport then you will only have to contact Australia House for the visa. Your teacher friends may be able to sign for you, check the website out first.

Hope this helps

Jaynie

• 1 year later...

Doing some research for my brother whose British passport has expired - the fool has not bothered to take out Aussie citizenship.

You download the form and then take it to an Aussie PO. Seems to be exactly the same procedure for renewing an Aussie passport.

How to renew your passport in Australia

I found another site nothing to do with UK Government who charge 16.50 GBP to print out the form (which is FREE) and information freely available.

You can also renew your pommie passport while revistiting the UK which I did, it was real easy, and probably cheaper than doing it here ( just over £100 if I recall) But just make sure it has n't run out. You have to make an appointment to do this but its easy. On my return the lady at the flight desk took my new passport and it obviously came up on here pc as not having a visa attached to it (physically or electronically) but a brief phone call and it was transfered to my new one.

• 5 months later...

I don't know if this has been answered...

I'm going to renew mine this week even though it don't expire till Aug 10. The earliest you can renew is 9 months before the expiry date. But you won't lose what is left over on your old passport as the date of when you do it will be transfered to the new one. I think thats what I read hence why I'm renewing mine now.

My visa on the other hand is a 1 year visa and I didn't need a sticker when I had it granted as it was linked to my passport number. All I need to do it let the immigration office know and obviously carry both new and old passport whenever I travel in and out of Australia within the visa time frame.

You can renew your UK passports at an australian Post Office. You don't have to have your visa placed in your new passport, just travel with both your new and old passport.

I renewed mine earlier this year and had my photo's also done at my local post office, no bother about the size of the pics.

Guest oneeyecat

If I was you I would renew it in the UK. The British High Commission do not renew them at Canberra anymore, but instead send them to the British High Commission in New Zealand as my wife and I found out. We sent off our three kids passports for renewal (Simple task...NOT!).

Two came back ok in under three weeks,the third was being held back by the issuing officer who didn't feel it was neccessary to imform us, even though on the application form it states that you must provide your contact details and dates you will be flying, so that you can be contacted if theres a problem.Yeah right!!. After calling the High Commission at $3.50 per minute and being told that it was only the issuing officer that could give out imformation ,but unfortunatley you are not allow to speak to them direct, I spent two days waiting for a e.mail from the High Commission in NZ. Just to make the situation a little more stressful we had three days left before we were due to fly back to the UK for a visit. cutting a long story short, no international courier would guarantee passport delivery from NZ to Aus within three days. Total cost to renew one passport:

$70.00 phone calls to High Commission

$721.00 return flight to NZ

$30.00 airport parking

$40.00 taxi to High Commission in NZ

$40.00 food

$30.00 petrol

$15.00 toll fee

$25.00 departure tax NZ

$450.00 loss of earnings, Oh yeah I forgot $300.00 passport renewal fee, silly me.

I worked this out whilst spending 13 hours in Wellington airport waiting for my return flight :-)

Grand total of $1,721.00

I hope this answer's your question.

If I was you I would renew it in the UK. The British High Commission do not renew them at Canberra anymore, but instead send them to the British High Commission in New Zealand as my wife and I found out. We sent off our three kids passports for renewal (Simple task...NOT!).

Two came back ok in under three weeks,the third was being held back by the issuing officer who didn't feel it was neccessary to imform us, even though on the application form it states that you must provide your contact details and dates you will be flying, so that you can be contacted if theres a problem.Yeah right!!. After calling the High Commission at $3.50 per minute and being told that it was only the issuing officer that could give out imformation ,but unfortunatley you are not allow to speak to them direct, I spent two days waiting for a e.mail from the High Commission in NZ. Just to make the situation a little more stressful we had three days left before we were due to fly back to the UK for a visit. cutting a long story short, no international courier would guarantee passport delivery from NZ to Aus within three days. Total cost to renew one passport:

$70.00 phone calls to High Commission

$721.00 return flight to NZ

$30.00 airport parking

$40.00 taxi to High Commission in NZ

$40.00 food

$30.00 petrol

$15.00 toll fee

$25.00 departure tax NZ

$450.00 loss of earnings, Oh yeah I forgot $300.00 passport renewal fee, silly me.

I worked this out whilst spending 13 hours in Wellington airport waiting for my return flight :-)

Grand total of $1,721.00

I hope this answer's your question.

Moral of the story. Leave yourself plenty of time between renewing your passport and flying, :wink:

arhhhhhhh!!! OMG!!! that is so bad!!!

I hate their website, it is really badly written and plus their links don't even work. I had to google the passport renewal form and notes just to print them. Plus I can't connect to their passport helpline for some reason and the the other option it to call the UK base one. Not only would I have to call international rates but I also have to give them my credit card details before I can ask anything. Well I assume it would be a double whammy on that one unless they put everything on the credit card but highly doubt that.

Even to lodge a compliant is difficult as you have to send a letter to Wellington in New Zealand!!!! Why not email!!!! Get with the times!!!!!!

Guest proud2beaussie

The process is very simple really,you print off the required forms (C1 for Adults,C2 for children),along with the current fee sheet,complete the forms,get the photos done and take them to an Australia Post office that handles passport applications,they check the forms,you pay the fee,they send them off to New Zealand and the passports are sent after about 21 days.

It's all explained on this thread.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/63216-important-changes-uk-passport-applications-australia.html

As a travel agent I have had 10 clients who have needed new passports since the changes started in June and not one of them have had any problems at all and all have received their new passports within the 21 day processing time.

Guest oneeyecat

They had 6 weeks to issue a new one, it should only take three weeks. What I had forgotten to mention was the issuing officer held back my sons passport because the person who had signed as counter signatory had not know him for 2 years, yet the same person had sign my daughters passports photo's and they came back in 3 weeks no problem. So someone at the British High Commission has cocked up. There's still no excuse for not contacting us, they had our details

PS NZ was nice might buy a holiday home over there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lyndyloo2u

I want to renew my british passport as it expires in January - I am in no hurry as I am not travelling anytime soon, but wanted to renew it before it expires. The problem I have is that I don't know anyone here in Oz who is British and of standing!! I did know a doctor who was British and living here in Townsville but he has left the area. Can the person signing for you be an Aussie as it sounds like they need to be British. Has anyone had an experience with this one?:wacko:

Guest oneeyecat

so longs they have known you for 2 years, it does'nt matter if they are british or australian.

But they must be a jp, doctor, teacher, policeman

Archived