Who can certify?

Danny842003

Just read this in the booklet.

Certified copies

Do not supply original documents with your application unless asked to do so. If an original document isrequired at any stage, the department will ask for it. Please note that police checks are the exception. Youmust provide original police checks.

You should provide ‘certified copies’ of original documents. ‘Certified copies’ are copies authorised, orstamped as being true copies of originals, by a person or agency recognised by the law of the countryin which you currently reside. All Australian missions have the facility to certify or witness documentsand statutory declarations if necessary (this service may attract a charge). For certification in Australia,see the indicative list of persons on the next page under ‘Who can witness statutory declarations and/orform 888’.

Am i correct in thinking that in the UK a Dr is legally recognised to do this kind of thing?

Book a appointment at solicitors , take ya originals with you , take photo copies with you too so they are ready be signed , take ya passport to prove it's you . I know my hubby has signed a few passports for people . But quals he got them done by solicitor , you go with them though , because I took my hubbies at first and they needed his passport I'm sure they did to prove it were him . It's a doddle of a job though , originals of police checks you send but not ya quals just the photo copy certified .

The truth is, it doesn't matter. The purpose of the certification was that people in some professions stood to lose a lot if they were caught creating false documents - hence when they certify that a copy is true or witness a statement you can believe them. In the UK, generally the list is quite wide and includes doctors, nurses, teachers, solicitors, councillors, pharmacists and heaps of others. Most people know someone who could do it free of charge.

This comes up time and again. The UK does not have a list of people who can legally sign documents. It simply has to be someone "in good standing" in the community. The forms from Australia seem t allow this - it is only the Australian High Commission in London that has gone rogue and stipulated the very narrow list. Most of my documents were not signed by people on this list but IIRC there was one which stipulated at the time that it must be notarised. I found a notary public (a colleague at work in the legal department) who unwrapped a special seal to stamp the document. He had never had to use the seal before and was very excited to get the opportunity.

If the documents are for submission as part of an Australian visa application, DIBP will accept COLOUR scans of ORIGINAL documents and they don't need to be certified. Most assessment authorities however will only accept certified copies so you may still need them certified, but for DIBP, definitely not. Here's a link to another PIO thread where this was discussed at length:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/137101-uploading-docs-diac-certified-colored-scans.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived