Are we being ripped off?

Jameister

Drinking Coffee daily outside is expensive whether it be in London or Sydney. $7 daily (for 2 cups) works out to be around $140 a month, that's not cheap by any standards! Some of the Coffee around where I work is appalling, I even threw one out the other day because it tasted just like hot milk. I've switched to drinking instant Coffee which is totally free at work, not a great taste but that extra $140 saving does help when you are on a single income family like I am.

Moral of the story is if you perceive something to be very expensive and it's a luxury item (some would argue Coffee is a necessity!!) vote with your feet.

Yes wherever I go including all those in the foodcourt near the office and the one that is basically a parked cart. I think yes it is you that is maybe unduly worryied about coffee prices.

Hmmm still confused as to where you've been going, maybe towards westfield end? I was around central station, pitt street and all but a few $3. You need to look around a bit more, try Organika on Pitt, near Central St. Lovely Columbian coffee and yes $3

Drinking Coffee daily outside is expensive whether it be in London or Sydney. $7 daily (for 2 cups) works out to be around $140 a month, that's not cheap by any standards! Some of the Coffee around where I work is appalling, I even threw one out the other day because it tasted just like hot milk. I've switched to drinking instant Coffee which is totally free at work, not a great taste but that extra $140 saving does help when you are on a single income family like I am.

Moral of the story is if you perceive something to be very expensive and it's a luxury item (some would argue Coffee is a necessity!!) vote with your feet.

Which is why I have 1 cup daily ;)

Guest Guest 47403
I pay around £2.80 for a Costa medium sized coffee in the UK so even if you ignore the 2.2 rule, and base purely on exchange rate then that is over $5 a cup! If you are all saying that Oz coffee is better, then that's another bonus!

:shocked: You can buy a jar of douwe egberts for £2.80 glad I'm not a coffee drinker that would break my heart paying that much!

Yes but at least you get a decent coffee, depending on how good the barrister is of course.

Living in Melbourne you become a bit of a coffee snob. And getting barista quality fresh coffee at its finest for $4 is a bonus. The crap they make in the Uk doesn't compare.

Living in Melbourne you become a bit of a coffee snob. And getting barista quality fresh coffee at its finest for $4 is a bonus. The crap they make in the Uk doesn't compare.

I agree with you. I think it's the competition here. When I first arrived in Sydney and took my daily walk to work down York st, wynyard to George I couldn't believe how much the Australians loved their coffee, literally all queuing up outside cafés to get their morning caffeine fix, obsessed! I thought, but now I know why, they do know how to make good coffee, well most. And yes you do become a bit of a coffee snob, realising if you're flat white hasn't been made to perfection then it's the cafe or the barista or both that get scrubbed off the list!

I wouldn't mind so much if I got a decent coffee but when it's an average half baked cup made by an inexperienced barrister it hurts the pocket :(

Which brings me on to my next subject, where is a decent place to get a coffee?? (At a reasonable price)

I always like Dome coffee. I guess it's a personal thing as I know some that don't like it and prefer other places where I don't like the taste. I guess if coffee drinkers did what you suggested and had a few days where we refused to call in for a cuppa they would drop their prices soon enough. I find most people don't complain about $5 for a decent big mug of coffee. I can get coffee on broadway near work for $3.50 in a few places. There's a fair bit of competition round there though.

I always like Dome coffee. I guess it's a personal thing as I know some that don't like it and prefer other places where I don't like the taste. I guess if coffee drinkers did what you suggested and had a few days where we refused to call in for a cuppa they would drop their prices soon enough. I find most people don't complain about $5 for a decent big mug of coffee. I can get coffee on broadway near work for $3.50 in a few places. There's a fair bit of competition round there though.

Broadway, is this in Perth?

A place in the Perth CBD sells coffee in a carry out for $9:mad:

$9 is a complete 'take the biscuit', wouldn't get my custom even if they were the last place selling coffee in Perth, that's just damn right greedy

A place in the Perth CBD sells coffee in a carry out for $9:mad:
If anyone pays that they are either stupid or trying to impress! You could walk 2 minutes round the corner and get one for less than half that!

It's a road off Stirling Highway near UWA. UWA canteen is selling coffee at $3.50, with a free one after 9 coffees, with a super Barista loyalty card. They will give them to anyone though.

Paul1Perth, this is music to my ears! Obviously I'm yet to try it and with the loyalty card sounds exactly what I used to get in Sydney with Organika, I think Taste Baguette we're doing the same. Just proves there are establishments in Perth willing to charge a reasonable rate.

Just found a great coffee place called 'Jean Pierre Sancho' on Hay Street. Really nice top quality coffee, it's $4 for a regular but coffee this good I don't mind paying 
So 5 pages later, you dont actually mind paying $4 for a coffee?

• 6 months later...

Archived