Diploma of Applied Geosciences tafeSA will it help me in?

kswinton

Thanks for taking a look at this. I'm a 31 year old pommie thinking of doing the Diploma of Applied Geosciences at tafeSA. I have always wanted to get into this career and was wondering what experiences you've had or advice you could share.

Cheers in advance.

I am a geologist. You need a degree to be qualified as a geologist. Also, at the moment geologist is only on the CSOL. I don't know about all of the states but in WA it is schedule 2 which means you would need a job offer before they would sponsor. Given that geology currently has very high rates of unemployment it would be very hard to get one.

However, if you were to do a degree then by the time you finished things could be very different and there is still strong demand for geologists in the UK for non mining related work.

What VS said. You need a degree to be a geologist though there's been a push recently for lower "degree" qualifications "called foundation degrees or something) which are diplomas in anyone else's money.

They'll tell you you can be a "para-geologist" or some such rubbish (field technician).

If I saw a diploma on a job application for a geologist I wouldn't bother calling you for interview as it's not the right qualification. A BSc is the minimum you need.

I will say, I went to uni to become a geo about the same age as you. It has made a huge difference to my life. It is also a amazing subject to study. But, it isn't an easy subject. It requires a lot of work. But if you are drawn to it then go for it. In my career I have worked in south America, north Africa, central and east africa, Europe and of course australia. I am now a senior member in my game - general manager / exploration manager. But do it because you love the subject.