Things you did/wish you did when you arrived

tina0101

Hi

I am after some advice for when we first get to Oz! I feel the need to make a list of what we need to sort out in the first couple of weeks (not including finding a rental/work/schools!). We're going to Brisbane if that makes any difference to anything!

What did you do/wish you had done when you first arrived? I'm talking Medicare/driving licences/bank accounts etc - the practical things!

Thanks in advance for any help. Even though it may seem obvious, please mention it - I think a list will help me sleep better at night - still 4 months to go and I'm stressing! :wacko:

We opened a bank account while we were still in UK so that when we sold house we were able to transfer money once it had been changed into oz dollars.. As we had bank all set up we used our short term stay as add for bank which enabled us to get driving licence with current add, we also managed to get mobiles sorted out to.

Sounds stupid but we took extra printed copies of our visa in case people wanted to see and keep them for schools etc, I'm sure you said before you need to find work when you arrive so maybe up to date cv again a few printed copies until you are able to print more off.

good luck with the move its going to come round really quick.

I honestly don't think there is that much to do upon arrival, if you exclude the houses, school, work. But one thing is to apply for tax file number as soon as you land, you will need an address, we used the hotel we were at.

Just concentrate on having a little time to recover from the stress & jetlag. We got a car, went to centrelink & the bank on the first day. I actually fell asleep on the desk at the bank! We should have perhaps left it until we had recovered. I was overwhelmed & humbled by the generosity of people when we first arrived. We where lent a sat nav by the garage & had many offers of items of furniture & appliances to use before our container arrived. Good luck too you, the time will soon pass & your adventure will begin xx

Give yourself a day or two to unwind first. All the other stuff isn't going anywhere.

Bank account can be set up while still in the UK so look in to that.

Then Medicare, Centrelink, drivers licence (if you are on a visa requiring it changed etc). Finding a few GP's and dentists so you have options when you need them. Mobile phones and internet sorted with either a contract or PAYG and dongle. TFN as Rupert said, can be done online iirc.

The rest falls in to place as you go I reckon.

Thanks everyone!! We have just set up the bank account (and transferred a bit in so we could get excited!)

Keep them coming if anyone else can think of anything else - a few things already were things I hadn't thought about!

If you are asking that question the answer is probably no. (not meant to be as harsh as it sounds)

But can you buy a plug at Bunnings and do it yourself? Is it 'allowed'?

But can you buy a plug at Bunnings and do it yourself? Is it 'allowed'?

I couldn't tell you myself I have not moved yet. But if you are competent and are going to do a job that does not set the house on fire how would anyone ever know? I don't imagine theres plug police lol.

Hi

I am after some advice for when we first get to Oz! I feel the need to make a list of what we need to sort out in the first couple of weeks (not including finding a rental/work/schools!). We're going to Brisbane if that makes any difference to anything!

What did you do/wish you had done when you first arrived? I'm talking Medicare/driving licences/bank accounts etc - the practical things!

Thanks in advance for any help. Even though it may seem obvious, please mention it - I think a list will help me sleep better at night - still 4 months to go and I'm stressing! :wacko:

This is the topic please answer the op's questions.

Cancel your Facebook account for at least 6 months and immerse yourself in local culture!

That wouldn't have worked for me.

My family were keen to see updates, plus I was talking to people via local expats pages before I arrived. It's how I made a good friend.

then, once I started work, I connected with work friends and got involved in banter :)

I "think" that in Queensland, you need to hire an electrician to change plugs if it's an international item, but I'm not 100% sure and I'm not sure if that only applies to such things as fridges and freezers etc.

Not if you're a direct blood descendent of Michael Faraday!

OK, I'll amend my suggestion. Put the Ozzie adapter on the UK plug first, so you'll still have 4 UK sockets to use without getting dobbed in by the local sparky.

And have lunch in a different suburb each day. No use driving through at 80kph and saying you didn't like it. Better to hang around a while.

And my top tip to find a good suburb?

"Donuts and fishtails are not used to describe a suburbs culinary habits".

Archived