End of tax year australia 2014

bwatt99

I am almost a year in since moving to oz and back in the uk never really did my tax return,used to get someone to check for me,they would be able to check with my p60 and work out if i was owe any mone back, some years the employer was bang on and other times i paid too much,so i for a small fee asked them to do my tax return.

How does it work over here is this something everyone has to do or an option?

As i dont know much about the tax system over here or in fact much about it in the uk,i was asking around who does it and what it would cost me to have someone do it for me,but my question is what would i require it for,for what reason,would i be owe any money?Or yes could i have been overpaid?

I get family tax benifit a and b but not that much every two weeks they wanted an idea of what i could make over a year and i based it on that figure,but depending on how much work i would be on that year and what type of job i be on it could be more.

But its not been a good year and i would say i if lucky done 5 weeks work in that year,the first few months of arriving i did not really look as was so busy looking for rental,car,container on way and unpacking etc.

But pretty much full on after that applying and applying and not having much luck.

So looking at centrelink i see they will base me on the figure i said i earn on that year or i could lodge a tax return? and go with that figure,well as i have only done five weeks work in that year im nowhere near what i had said i make.

I can understand where they are coming from as they just want to see i have not been overpaid in benifits and would want paid back,but is it also possible i maybe should have been paid more based on what i only worked in that year?

My other question is i thought i was able to claim for courses i had done,which may have helped me find work better but im told its not but had been told before this i could,then there is a job i was on needed to buy my own tools not there anymore and wanted to claim for them.

Would it pay for me to have an accountant with what im asking above,as said is it a requirement,on just the family benifit thing alone would not want them to just take for granted i made what i quoted on that year i made way less,but does that make any difference to me.

I even here people claim for sunscreen and glasses your kiding right and im not able to claim back for course i needed or thought may help me get that job,i even have a course that needs refresher done by end of june and had hoped i could claim for this,but i am hearing this is not possible too.

Everyone has to do a tax return and the tax year starts 1st July, so after then you can submit.

You can do it on line and its fairly simple, but i use an accountant as they manage to get me more back - yes if you work outdoors you can claim sun screen and things.

Most accountants will charge $200-250 and this is also tax deductable the following year.

The PAYG system in Australia tends to over tax individuals - so if you have no other assessable income that is untaxed you can reasonably anticipate a tax repayment heading your way once you have lodged the return.

This is particularly so in the tax year in which you arrive in Australia.

Remember also that if you are not represented by a registered tax agent your tax return must be lodged by 31/10 following the end of the tax year.

If you instruct a registered tax agent you have longer to lodge the tax return - usually until 15/05 following the end of the tax year - though if you are due a tax repayment you'll probably want to submit your tax return ASAP after the end of June.

In case of need: http://www.gmtax.com.au/

Best regards.

Everyone has to do a tax return and the tax year starts 1st July, so after then you can submit.

You can do it on line and its fairly simple, but i use an accountant as they manage to get me more back - yes if you work outdoors you can claim sun screen and things.

Most accountants will charge $200-250 and this is also tax deductable the following year.

That's really high VS ...nobody I know pays that...about $100 maybe.

thats for a straight forward return though......if you've got complicated affairs I'm sure it would be more

That's really high VS ...nobody I know pays that...about $100 maybe.

thats for a straight forward return though......if you've got complicated affairs I'm sure it would be more

No registered tax accountant of any repute will prepare a tax return for $100 - unless they don't value their own abilities. Even if PAYG salary is the only income.

Best regards.

No registered tax accountant of any repute will prepare a tax return for $100 - unless they don't value their own abilities. Even if PAYG salary is the only income.

Best regards.

Well i was told that a well known company local to me charges $120 well did last year and i even seen people all over the place in shopping malls charging $99.

Its do i have a clue what im doing no,maybe once more settled know the system more then i do myself yes.

I take the company i ask to do it will need stuff from me if so what?payslips?anything i might think i can claim back on?

As said only did 5 weeks work in a year,lucky if i had 5 weeks off in the uk must be something im doing wrong in the hunt for jobs and other reason for getting someone is this family a and b which i had no idea about all i know you can be overpaid.

Best regards.

Best regards AC to you too....and I know your know your stuff...

but....we have a very good tax accountant who charges on a sliding scale ie our young daughters straight into work were charged $50, me n hubs, slightly more complicated...$150.

all above board, nothing dodgy. Between all four of us we got just less than $10,000 back.

before we went, not having a clue about these things, we asked about. Never heard anybody say they paid the prices you quote

Guest The Pom Queen

Need to change ours they still haven't lodged last years return and I've been hassling them since September last year. I just don't know how easy it is too change. They have scared me to death saying its really complicated to change agent but then I suppose they would say that.

We are a family partnership me and hubby and they charge us $900 I think, don't quote me on that, they then use to charge us $250 a quarter for GST but we do that ourselves now.

Archived