One way passport advice please!!

Laura2406

Hi everyone - its been awhile since I last posted as things have been pretty manic!!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, my family and I are now (kind of!!) in a position to make the final move over to Brisbane, so have finally booked one way flights on New Years Eve :biggrin:

However, Ive just realised that mine and the kids passports are due to expire at the end of April 2015 and am not sure whether we have to renew them prior to going, or not bother, and if I do have to renew them - is it going to be a pain in the a**e, as our visas are obviously attached to them so will have to let immigration know and pay etc

I know we can get British passports renewed once in Oz but as we are going one way, do they still have to have a certain amount of length on them (ie 6mths) prior to leaving the UK??

Any advice will be gratfully received - thanks in advance

xx L xx

have a read of this

[h=5]Can I travel to Australia on a one way ticket?[/h]There is no requirement to have a return ticket when you arrive in Australia. However officers at the border need to be satisfied that visitors, working holiday maker and temporary residents are intending to and have the means to depart Australia before their visa expires. While not a mandatory requirement, you may wish to carry a copy of your bank statement to demonstrate you have sufficient funds to purchase an airline ticket to depart Australia.

[h=5]Do I need 6 months left on my passport?[/h]There is no minimum passport validity required to enter Australia. Clients must have a valid passport and valid visa when they board their flight and when they enter Australia.

However as a general rule the travel industry recommend that your passport is valid for at least 6 months as some airlines and some countries have a 6 month rule. You should check with your airline and any country you may be transiting on the way to Australia.

For shorter visits it is recommended that your passport be valid for the duration of your stay to avoid the inconvenience of having to renew a foreign passport whilst in Australia.

from here http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_travel.html

I'd do it now.

It's more expensive done from overseas and more of a pain - and of course once you've done it, you'll still have to get the visa transferred to the new pp. Plus depending on fights you take it can be a pain, as some countries want 6 months. It's all manageable but you're not saving yourself anything by not renewing them before you leave, so you may as well do so.

Transferring a visa isn't hard - fill in one form and send it off

Defineitly do it now. We applied for three renewals for the kids on 12th March £350.00. Sent them by courier to friend in UK for counter signing as only been in Oz just over a year. Friend sent them off to Durham recorded delivery, checked online two days later it showed they had been delivered. She binned the slip as thought she no longer needed it. Last week rang the helpline to check on the progress as son is due to go on a trip to Thailand on 18th May. You guessed it they cannot locate them, they are also unable to put you though to Durham which is the overseas passport office ( the only number you can ring is the helpline number) was promised they would get someone to ring me within 72 hrs......they didn't. Rang this Monday again can't put you through to Durham " as that's an x directory number" couldn't tell me what to do, i.e apply for a replacement . Finally on Wednesday we were contacted but was told without the recorded delivery slip it was going to be very difficult for them to locate the three passports. They are going to try as there is a backlog so it's possible they are there. So now we are advised to ring them on Monday if I haven't heard from them. So please don't be in our position in Oz with half the family without passports ..... I regret not making the effort when we went back at Christmas to do them all then. Sorting problems like this out from the other side of the world isn't a lot of fun. Good luck whatever you decide .....was good to get that off my chest :biggrin:

Hi everyone - its been awhile since I last posted as things have been pretty manic!!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, my family and I are now (kind of!!) in a position to make the final move over to Brisbane, so have finally booked one way flights on New Years Eve :biggrin:

However, Ive just realised that mine and the kids passports are due to expire at the end of April 2015 and am not sure whether we have to renew them prior to going, or not bother, and if I do have to renew them - is it going to be a pain in the a**e, as our visas are obviously attached to them so will have to let immigration know and pay etc

I know we can get British passports renewed once in Oz but as we are going one way, do they still have to have a certain amount of length on them (ie 6mths) prior to leaving the UK??

Any advice will be gratfully received - thanks in advance

xx L xx

Yep, it would be madness not to renew them now whilst you are still in the UK.

Hi,

I have just got my children new passports and had to get the visas changed over, it was so simple. I filled the 929 form in a copy of both passports then did it via email. They sent me confirmation the very next day :) x

Archived