Northern Territory

Mags m

Hi

looking for some advice please. Over the past few years our young sons problems with asthma in Scotland have encouraged us to look at living in a warmer climate and we hope we would all benefit from a better quality of life in Australia.

My husband recently received a positive skills assessment from Vetassess (vocational teaching) and We are about to lodge a Visa and hope to move to the Northern Territory in the next two years if it is successful.

I currently work as a nursery nurse and classroom assistant in a local primary school. We are wondering if there are lots of opportunities for work in these areas, best locations to look out for, or if we would have problems finding

work? We will consider all opportunities available, even in remote areas if it fits the needs of our family.

We believe the climate would offer a solution to our sons asthma and our only concern is the humidity. Does anyone have any information on how the climate affects asthma sufferers?

Also any advice on living in the Northern Territory would be most welcome. The main areas we have looked at so far, include Darwin and Alice Springs, although we are open to looking at more remote areas.

Apologies for all the questions and any friendly advice or direction would be most welcome.

Hi

looking for some advice please. Over the past few years our young sons problems with asthma in Scotland have encouraged us to look at living in a warmer climate and we hope we would all benefit from a better quality of life in Australia.

My husband recently received a positive skills assessment from Vetassess (vocational teaching) and We are about to lodge a Visa and hope to move to the Northern Territory in the next two years if it is successful.

I currently work as a nursery nurse and classroom assistant in a local primary school. We are wondering if there are lots of opportunities for work in these areas, best locations to look out for, or if we would have problems finding

work? We will consider all opportunities available, even in remote areas if it fits the needs of our family.

We believe the climate would offer a solution to our sons asthma and our only concern is the humidity. Does anyone have any information on how the climate affects asthma sufferers?

Also any advice on living in the Northern Territory would be most welcome. The main areas we have looked at so far, include Darwin and Alice Springs, although we are open to looking at more remote areas.

Apologies for all the questions and any friendly advice or direction would be most welcome.

Alice Springs has low humidity (despite the intense heat), however, Darwin has high humidity. The further north you go the worse it gets.

Hi

Australia has high rates of asthma, so I don't believe a move is going to provide any magic cure for your son, it could well make it worse. Not saying that you shouldn't do the move of course.

Any reason you have picked NT? Is it because they are sponsoring your husbands occupation? It is probably one of the hardest transitions to make, much bigger cultural shift versus somebody moving to Sydney or Melbourne or Brisbane say.

Hi

Our sons asthma was always triggered by the cold in Scotland, resulting in many trips to the local A&E.

While we lived in Texas and Singapore, both with high humidity levels, he never had any issues with his asthma and he never required any steroids or the use of an nebuliser over those years. Pure fluke? Who knows?

We are now in Perth, and again, over the last 3 years we have been here he hasn't had any episodes, but he does use his reliever inhaler more during winter compared to the hot summer.

Hi

thanks for the replies. My husband's occupation is only on NT skills list at the moment, so that is why we are looking there.

Our son's asthma is also triggered by the cold and this has resulted in him spending time in hospital and missing a lot of school days. Does anyone know what the hospitals are like in NT?

any general info on life in the area would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi

thanks for the replies. My husband's occupation is only on NT skills list at the moment, so that is why we are looking there.

Our son's asthma is also triggered by the cold and this has resulted in him spending time in hospital and missing a lot of school days. Does anyone know what the hospitals are like in NT?

The hospital in Alice is very good, however, it is important to know that if anything really serious was to occur that required prolonged treatment (and Alice did not have the facilities) , then you would most likely have to fly to Adelaide. That can be very traumatic.

Darwin has good facilities.

I would recommend not going remote if your son's asthma is bad, as quite often there is only a tiny hospital (if you are lucky) or most likely a small centre run by a nurse.

Hi

Have you investigated what humidity can do to his asthma? It is as common a trigger as cold air into lungs, have you been somewhere humid on holiday to try it out? Well not to "try it out" specifically of course, but you know what I mean I hope. NT will be very humid most of the year, Queensland will be humid too, I also find Sydney humid.

Couldn't tell you anything about the NT but my dad suffers from bad asthma and always has to use his inhalers over here in the UK. But when he came out to visit us in Perth for 7 month's he didn't have to use his inhaler once. Of course as soon as he stepped off the plane back in the UK, he was back on to them..

If you end up in NT and the asthma is still an issue, you could always try a different state such as Perth after you complete your two years obligation.

Hi

The only positive thing about coming to Australia for an asthmatic is that he'll get the best treatment in the world, because Australian doctors know so much about asthma. They have to - one in nine Australian kids has it. It's not really known why it's so bad, but the top theory is climate - and humidity in particular.

Most asthmatics are allergic or sensitive to dust mites, and dust mites thrive in warm, humid weather. The summer climate in Eastern and Northern Australia is perfect breeding weather for them!

I had severe asthma as a child and grew out of it. When I came to Australia, it came back with a vengeance. I was lucky to be treated at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital which has one of the leading asthma research clinics in the world. They told me I'd be better off going back to Scotland, but the exchange rate collapsed soon after we arrived and we'd have lost half our savings if we'd gone back. Luckily they were able to get me on some good medication and although I've still got asthma, it's so well under control that it doesn't worry me.

If you want to come to Australia then I'd recommend South Australia or Perth, where the summers are dry heat rather than wet.

The Northern Territory would be the worst possible place to go, because in summer it gets so hot and wet that you get mould growing in wardrobes etc - and as a nurse I'm sure you know how bad moulds can be for asthmatics.

For what it's worth, i developed asthma in Scotland at the age of 30. Usually needed my puffer a couple of times a day.

In Australia, I'm not asthmatic at all! Ever! I encounter all the usual "triggers" here too; extreme heat, cold, moisture, dust, different environment types etc etc.

The only positive thing about coming to Australia for an asthmatic is that he'll get the best treatment in the world, because Australian doctors know so much about asthma. They have to - one in nine Australian kids has it. It's not really known why it's so bad, but the top theory is climate - and humidity in particular.

Most asthmatics are allergic or sensitive to dust mites, and dust mites thrive in warm, humid weather. The summer climate in Eastern and Northern Australia is perfect breeding weather for them!

I had severe asthma as a child and grew out of it. When I came to Australia, it came back with a vengeance. I was lucky to be treated at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital which has one of the leading asthma research clinics in the world. They told me I'd be better off going back to Scotland, but the exchange rate collapsed soon after we arrived and we'd have lost half our savings if we'd gone back. Luckily they were able to get me on some good medication and although I've still got asthma, it's so well under control that it doesn't worry me.

If you want to come to Australia then I'd recommend South Australia or Perth, where the summers are dry heat rather than wet.

The Northern Territory would be the worst possible place to go, because in summer it gets so hot and wet that you get mould growing in wardrobes etc - and as a nurse I'm sure you know how bad moulds can be for asthmatics.

The OP has to go to the NT as it is the only place his job allows.

I would suggest the Alice ( if they have to choose) as it has a dry heat and humidity is rare.

However, moving to Alice Springs would be a culture shock and it is not for everybody.

Archived