Invitation to apply....passport worry!!! HELP!

cjenky

Hi everyone,

I have this morning received my invitation to apply, which of course we are super excited about, seems to have taken for ever to have got here after so many twists and turns and numerous hoops jumped through!! The problem I have is my passport is still in my maiden name (this never even crossed my mind earlier) we have been married 5 years but my passport had 9 years left on it when we got married, so still 4 years left now, ive just always booked our holidays in my maiden name!!!

The question is can I use the passport I have in my maiden name to apply for the visa and amend this as soon as I receive a new one (which I know I am going to have to get and am planning on sending this off right away)?

I have looked on Skill select and it does say you are able to amend a name on a passport as long as you send official proof, marriage certificate etc. Not sure if this counts in this instance as im applying for the visa in my married name not my maiden name.

Does anyone know a email address so I can contact immi? I cant find one on the website.

If anyone has been in the same situation, have any advice or an email address I can forward my question to it would be much appreciated

Thanks

Claire

I don't see why it would be an issue. I assume you'll be including a copy of your marriage certificate in your application as evidence of your relationship with your spouse, and if you wanted you could always include a letter that states you will be updating your name on your passport when it's next renewed but for now it remains in your maiden name.

I had my passport in my maiden name until it expired after I was married, seemed fine, and then one day we were flying out of Heathrow and they asked me for proof of marriage. That was when we were coming over to Aus. So fortunately in my hand luggage I had my marriage certificate and was able to show it. So beware, it may not ever happen but it can happen so be prepared.

I can't understand why you just don't change it! you have said yourself that you have had twists and turns and hoops to jump through and your now putting a obstacle in the way yourself, and appear to be going the difficult path to get around it for the sake of not having to spend a few quid, a little earlier than you would have to anyway (and the cost of passports will no doubt rise in that time)

Sorry if I sound harsh, but it just seems the simplest and quickest solution.

Good luck anyhow

Yes.

Why bother to change it?

I am applying for the visa in my married name as I did change my name when we married....on everything apart from the passport. Therefore would it cause a problem to apply for the visa in my married name with my passport still in my maiden name? Do you know of an email address for Immi so I could get a definitive answer on this?

I can't understand why you just don't change it! you have said yourself that you have had twists and turns and hoops to jump through and your now putting a obstacle in the way yourself, and appear to be going the difficult path to get around it for the sake of not having to spend a few quid, a little earlier than you would have to anyway (and the cost of passports will no doubt rise in that time)

Sorry if I sound harsh, but it just seems the simplest and quickest solution.

Good luck anyhow

You will see on my original post the passport did not even cross my mind until the other day and I have already said I am going to send this off straight away to be renewed. The problem is if I cant use my old passport in the time being I cannot get on with the visa application until my new passport comes back and i'm sure you are aware we only have 60 days to lodge the application. I never mentioned not wanting to spend any money or looking for a way to get around it, I was just after a little friendly advice on whether I could use this passport for the time being whilst I wait for my new one to enable me to get on with the application!!!

Even though everything else is in your married name, your visa will probably be issued in your maiden name as it then is consistent with your passport. So at some point you'll need to update DIBP with your new passport details asking them to update both your passport and your name on your visa.

My visa and passport are actually in my previous married name as I married while I was on a 457 visa and didn't want to confuse the process by changing names and passport before applying for my PR. When I need to renew my passport I'll get everything updated.

I don't think you need to worry. I changed my name by deed poll and applied with my passport in my old name. I filled out the application in my new name (it seemed easier with all my supporting documents in the same name except my passport itself) and provided details of name change with the application. It all worked out fine. The emails from dibp incl visa grant was in the new name but the visa's still in my passport in the old name.

Thanks all for your responses. I managed to find a email address for Immi and received the following response:

"In relation to your query, please note that your application needs to

reflect the same information provided with the EOI. It is possible to make

an application with your current passport and once you obtain a new

passport you can update the Immigration Department"

Feel much better now and can get on with the application whilst I wait for my new passport

Thanks again

I would have thought your Passport needs to have the name on it that the visa is issued in even though the visa is linked to the passport number electronically. The simple answer would be pay for the same day service and visit the passport office to collect a new passport.

Heres a link to the find a visa page off immigration page. Sure you can navigate to the right place from there http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/Find-a-visa.aspx hope that's some use and good luck with your application and then move here :biggrin:

Archived