Buying a car in Melbourne help

Kezzles

Hey all

we want to buy a car but can't decide what or where from? We are current based in east melbs but moving to st Kilda next week. We had a golf back in uk and would like something that size. We've been told not to buy a foreign car as we may get ripped off if it needs parts. Any ideas? Any good dealers you've heard of or used would help us too?

cheers kez

Hey all

we want to buy a car but can't decide what or where from? We are current based in east melbs but moving to st Kilda next week. We had a golf back in uk and would like something that size. We've been told not to buy a foreign car as we may get ripped off if it needs parts. Any ideas? Any good dealers you've heard of or used would help us too?

cheers kez

What do they mean by "foreign", I wonder? Most cars in Oz are foreign these days! I agree, don't buy a European car as parts are expensive, but most Aussies drive Japanese or Korean cars and parts are OK for those. Are you buying new or second-hand?

If you're not mechanically-minded then it's always a good idea to get an NRMA vehicle inspection if you buy second-hand. http://www.mynrma.com.au/services/motorserve-vehicle-inspection.htm

Hey all

cheers kez

Hi Kezzles,

We're leaving in July and have two cars we're soon due to sell. One is a cracking little black Golf I bought for my wife when we arrived with hardly a mark on it and runs brilliant. When do you need a car for and what is your budget? I just want to try and get roughly what I paid for the Golf which was about $6,500 including the rego. I'm in Sandringham and work in South Melbourne so close to where you are :wink:. Give me a shout if you're interested.

Cheers,

Neil

Depends really on your budget. Things to consider are frequency of service, some cars require 6 month services, and premium fuel.

I've just changed my Honda Accord Euro (lovely car) but 6 month servicing, premium fuel, no fixed price servicing, to a Hyundai i40, 12month capped price servicing for 7 years, regular fuel, 7 years manufacturer/garage warranty, 7 years roadside assist. Free annual updates to sat/nav.

Mike

Hi Kezzles,

We're leaving in July and have two cars we're soon due to sell. One is a cracking little black Golf I bought for my wife when we arrived with hardly a mark on it and runs brilliant. When do you need a car for and what is your budget? I just want to try and get roughly what I paid for the Golf which was about $6,500 including the rego. I'm in Sandringham and work in South Melbourne so close to where you are :wink:. Give me a shout if you're interested.

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Neil

what year is it and how many miles on the clock? Do you have photos? Ideally we want a car right now.

cheers

kez

Hi Neil

what year is it and how many miles on the clock? Do you have photos? Ideally we want a car right now.

cheers

kez

Hi Kez, and sorry for the late reply. I've been away the last few days and only recently managed to gain internet access again!

The Golf is a 2001 I think, done around 125,000km which is about 78,000 miles so pretty low. I can get some photo's if you're interested but we're ideally looking to keep hold of the car until around June time, as we fly back to the UK in July. If you need something before I understand, but if you can wait then please give me a shout or send me a private message through PIO with your email address or contact number.

Cheers,

Neil

Archived