Are there any joiners out there!

Reid36

Me and the wife have a chance of moving to Queensland early next year, visas are sorted through her work and she has a job waiting. I'm a joiner who works for myself and was wondering what I can do here in the uk to give me a head start with work over there.

I've had a quick look into getting my qualification recognised and it looks to be around 1300 pound does this sound correct? Has anyone been through this and if so how have you found the work,wages,hours and heat.

I've been told its frowned upon to work weekends but obviously would be willing to do whatever hours are needed to bring the money in.

idealy I would like to be self employed, is there plenty of agency work and does it pay well?

also has anyone brought their tools with them and at what cost.

any info at all would be really helpful as I can't seem to find any recent posts on the building trade at all!

That's about the amount my husband paid to get his qualifications for the visa.

Carpenter.

Everyone says there is a lot of work about but it is getting into the right circles to get it. He found a job with a contractors and subs off them in Melbourne. Has been fluctuating amounts of work and had to drive quite a bit too. Not a breeze but he is getting there. Definitely who you know

hi there, I'm at beginning of the process of trying to move to oz on a 489 visa with sponsorship from an aunt and uncle. I am a carpenter/joiner to trade. I've been to Melbourne on a working holiday (apologies I don't have relevant info for QLD), I didn't have any power tools with me but my uncle allowed me use of his hand tools ( he is a carpenter as well), I found work through an agency within a week working on modular homes as a 'trades assistant' (due to not having power tools with me). The starting rate was $24 an hour, working 45 hours a week. After a 3 month probationary period the wages went up to $25 but you were then given holiday pay etc then another rise after another 3 months/6 months (cant remember).

I completed my IELTS English test around a month ago and now I'm just getting all my documentation certified and gathering the last of my references etc to send to either VETASSESS/Vic Uni/VisaSkills to get my trade certified (£500 to review documentary evidence and £800 for the test) which I think can be around a 12 week process all together, if not more ( this will give you more information http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx ). I'm guessing you've probably already seen it but here is a link to 'seek', the oz job recruitment site, maybe give you a better idea of what kind of work is in QLD through agencies and companies advertising http://www.seek.com.au/jobs-in-trades-services/carpentry-cabinet-making/in-qld/#dateRange=999&workType=0&industry=1225&occupation=1345&graduateSearch=false&salaryFrom=0&salaryTo=999999&salaryType=annual&advertiserID=&advertiserGroup=&keywords=&page=1&isAreaUnspecified=false&location=3103&area=&nation=&sortMode=ListedDate&searchFrom=quick&searchType=

I'm not sure about the price of sending your tools over to oz but I'm sure a quick look on google with a quick guess of the weight of your tools and you'll be able to find a price pretty quickly. From just a quick look on " http://justtools.com.au/ " the price of tools after conversion is a bit cheaper over there but that would mean selling all your stuff here then tying to gather up the same stuff again which would be a hassle!

Thanks for that pal, that's a great help I'll have a look over the weekend. Thought it was going to be a lot easier to find out info about the trade. Still it's early days just want to make it as easy as possible for when I get there.

Thanks again and good luck with the move!

He got it verified in Preston in UK, they didn't do a London based test at that time for carpentry. We went through Go Matilda for our visas so the assessment was booked through them. Can't remember what company was called but it gave him a Victoria Certificate III in carpentry which is recognised in Aus.

We shipped over a handful of tools but hubby wishes he had brought over a lot more (especially power tools and batteries) as we had a container. He has done well buying secondhand from ebay and local facebook sales sites though so has all he needs now.

You need to be aware that a skills assessment is not the same as having a qualifacation recognised in Oz. They are in no way related.

I am not aware of anything a joiner needs to do to be recognised, unike people such as electricians who arrive to find there qualifacations and experience are no recognised and they have to go to college and work, effectivly, as a apprentice.

Ashley, the guy was cool relaxed, nothing formal. he chatted as if i was a mate, then bascially explained that he was assessing me to make sure i am employable in the australian workforce. if that makes sense.

He asks heaps about healthe and safety on site, regulations and where you would get certain information for certain tasks.

Anytimehe ask e something about anything, i simple talked and talked lol going into other things ive done so that he wont ask me later. i keep mentioning how before any job i make sure all ppe is being used and we check any hazards etc etc.just over do it with the health and safety. I think he needs to here certain phrases and terms so he can check it of his list.

Let me know if that helps, ill help further if i can:) guy said there was a guy there few days before was there 3 hours! sweating struggling... so i was happy to rock in and out in 50 mins:)

Hey i just done my tech interview in manchester yesterday. not got back the result of course, but the guy who sits there regulating it said hes never seen a quicker tech interview. 35-40 mins. so im going to assume thats a good sign. 19 albion street are you doing it?

Maybe he should have interviewed me, 25 minutes and all done and dusted:cool: The chap who interviewed me told me it would take between 20 mins and 2 hrs depending on how I did. He also told me I'd aced it so if yours was a short interview I'm pretty certain it means you sailed through it.

yeah cheers flatpack reckon it was a positive thing. I basically chatted with hm around 10 mins before we started lol he said i sound and looked like his irish mate in melbourne lo so i happily engaged him on that to get on his good side. I would recommend that to anyone nervous. try find a common ground with the assessor right away f you can.

Hey just got word yesterday(6day after the tech interview) That i was successful:) Not sure how long i wait for my cert or offical email to come though. but im moving to the next stage:)

best of luck ashley with yours lets know how it went

steve

That great news Steve! A few quick ones, how long did it take from submitting your documents to you being given an interview? And who did you do the skills assessment process with? Cheers

Hey Ash, it toke quite a bit of work to put together my paperwork as ive been living in Germany, Ireland and australia the last 8 years and not really kept hold of much paperwork or eveidence. but manged it somehow. i had heaps of photos from site work, and i built my own bed and other shelves and stuff at home, so i toke a photo with them and described how i did it. also i went to my old bosses workshop and build a small scale 4hip roof roof videoing a little bit at each stage of doing it.

Any how, after submitting the paperwork from here in Germany to melbourne, i got word back about 2 weeks later requesting certifided copies of couple of things.( I have to have heaps translated from German aswell.. nightmare) so did that sent it again and got word about 10 days later that i had passed stage 1 and was eligable for pathway 2 and that i was too pay 600 dollars for a skype interview.

Interview i booked and did 2 weeks later... last week. and as above said got word back of complete success in 6 days..

The skills assessment i did with Vetassess, im sure that the only place you can do it for carpenter unless you do it with TRA in australia.

Archived